Skip to content

Probably silly, but moving BG Install OUT of Program Files?

ArbitraryNerdArbitraryNerd Member Posts: 14
edited October 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi,

I read that I should take my BG installs out of Program Files due to the extra protection the folder receives (I think). I thought it would be as easy as cutting and pasting the Black Isle folder elsewhere (say, into users), but the game no longer plays (it gives in error of not being able to find an SFX file, I believe).

Should I uninstall the game and reinstall it elsewhere, is that where my mistake was? Or am I missing something foolish?

Note: I'm moving it out of Program Files with the intention of using BGT and maybe a supported Mega Mod (I think BiG World is one of those?).

Thank you!

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Can't speak to specific issues that Windows might have with doing that, but if you're installing the complete game, the baldur.ini file has hard coded file paths in it that you need to change (these point to data directories that take the place of the old CDs).

If you correct those paths, it should work. Maybe. To be safer side, you may want to reinstall.
    mlnevese
  • ArbitraryNerdArbitraryNerd Member Posts: 14
    What do you mean by installing the complete game? I used custom install and chose everything, but wasn't sure what that would really do vs not (it still needs the disc to run, correct?).

I'll see if I can find the reference points in the .ini file. If not, I guess I'll just uninstall after all.

Thank you for your response!
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you're gonna want to just re-install. I don't think copying and pasting a program from one place to another is a good idea regardless of which program or what the origin/destination is. Besides the reasons Brude mentioned, I think there are system files that need to be updated but don't if you just move it. Same reason why un-installing a program is different, and usually better, than just deleting the program's folder.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Brude is right. Just edit the .ini file with the new path and it should work. Before unistalling the game, move it back to its original folder and you won't have any problem.
    Robachicken
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    The only time the "protections" placed on Program Files group come into play is if you are a Standard User (Limited User in XP). If your user account is an Administrator account then you have nothing to worry about by installing in Program Files.

If you use a Standard or Limited user account and want to remove the protections, you can. Install the game with an Administrator account, then go into Program Files, find the BG folder and go into the properties, under Security Tab click Users (may need to click edit first), then check Full control. If you are using XP you will need to view folder options and uncheck "use simple file sharing" in order for the security tab to appear.
    ArbitraryNerd
  • ArbitraryNerdArbitraryNerd Member Posts: 14
    Oh, if it's just for fear of administrator privliges, that's a non-issue. I assumed there was a bigger concern. Thanks for all the help either way!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    I don't know how BG:EE handles save games, but if the save games are going into your My Documents or Games folder, then Standard users won't have problems. An issue could arise is when a Standard user tries writing saved games to the Program Files folder, which is what original BG/BG2 used to do. But again, being an Administrator removes any of those complications.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hello folks! Currently BG:EE handles savegames by writing to the user specific My Documents folder, as a concession to the way that security has increased on newer versions of windows.

BG:EE is registry independent, though, so you can move the game directory wherever you like - just keep in mind that if running on multiple computers off a USB stick or something, the game WILL create new user-specific files/folders on each computer you're on.

Hope that helps!
    Brudebigdogchrisajwz
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    FWIW, I have taken to always installing games in C:\games\ instead of Program Files. Doesn't really matter for newer games, but can make old games (and mod installations, etc) work better.