Skip to content

Assuming you’re not romancing Jaheira, how long does the Harper Hold quest take?

I don’t have her in my long term plans, so I don’t want her grabbing up too much XP that I need for the other members of my party.

What’s the best way to maximize this?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited June 2020
    Not long at all. Maybe a few in-game days. Terminsel shows up at the end much much faster as well.

Maybe rest, change districts in athkatla, occasionaly rest in a wilderness area. Repeat until done.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Not long at all. Maybe a few in-game days. Terminsel shows up at the end much much faster as well.

Maybe rest, change districts in athkatla, occasionaly rest in a wilderness area. Repeat until done.
    Can I keep on dropping Jaheira and then pick her back up again a day or two later?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited June 2020
    you can drop jaheira only one time, the second one she will not be happy and will leave the game forever.
    but for that single time i don't know if the timers continue to work or are in stand by as she is not in the party, any way you probably can speed up only a single step of the quest as i suppose that some timers work in a way like when A happens after x time B will happen.
    but i suppose it, i am not sure of how the timers work in that quest, while i am sure that if you kick her a second time you loose her forever, the only way to have her leave the party for some time without consequences happens anyway in the quest.
    @gorgonzola is right about only being able to drop her once. My understanding is that all timers for that npc stop when npc is not in the party. The timers are pretty quick though. You can clear travel between De'Arnise and Athkatla to run the timers out quickly. Just make sure to rest between trips (there's at least 2 instances where an npc will spawn on rest, or an event will trigger). The timers are pretty short, so you should be able to do it pretty quickly.

Just make sure that you aren't romancing her. The way romances in BG2 work, is that they start by default if you meet the requirements and won't stop unless broken. Being in a romance SIGNIFICANTLY increases the time between her quest events.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    On that last bit of advice - how to break Jaheira's romance if you do meet the requirements and don't want to go through with it. You have three options:
    - Drop her from the party and let her go to the Harper Hold. This can only be dome before she breaks with the Harpers; after that, if you let her go and confirm it, she's gone completely until ToB.
    - Reach committed status in another romance (Aerie, Dorn, Neera, or Viconia).
    - Be exceedingly rude and insensitive. This can kill the romance as early as the second talk.
    Well, if I can only drop her once, I’m probably better off readjusting my party makeup to include Jaheira as a permanent member.

I do plan on playing no reloads, so nothing is certain LOL.

I do remember her quests being quite buggy if you romance her, so I’ll be trying the Anomen romance this play through (and I’ve heard nothing good about this one, but since I’m playing a sorcerer, any race can/will be romanced).

Should be fun!
    And that last comment was posted as I was posting mine.

I’m not good at breaking romances. Every time I’ve tried, I end up pissing the person off and they leave.

Since I’m playing no reloads, I don’t want to risk it.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Actually, there's a trick to dropping almost anyone, including Jaheira. If you leave the area without letting her talk to you, you can come back later and say you didn't mean it, letting her rejoin. That doesn't even break romances.
    @Klorox "I do remember her quests being quite buggy if you romance her,"

Its not. Just too complicated for its own good. THere's 2 different kinds of timers, event/talks that only happen in the city, outdoors, after resting, and on area transition. All the timers for the harper questline are also very extended.

Its not. Just too complicated for its own good. THere's 2 different kinds of timers, event/talks that only happen in the city, outdoors, after resting, and on area transition. All the timers for the harper questline are also very extended.
    Yeah, see I’m not too interested in worrying about all that while trying to track down Irenicus.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    jmerry wrote: »
    Actually, there's a trick to dropping almost anyone, including Jaheira. If you leave the area without letting her talk to you, you can come back later and say you didn't mean it, letting her rejoin. That doesn't even break romances.

it is true but can be risky.
    it happened one time to me that waiting a very long time, like dropping jaheira that way at the beginning on chap 2 and trying to have her back, telling her that i did not intended to drop her, so without affecting the number of drops, after the underdark when i come back she did not had the dialogue available any more.
    normally she should reach you as she sees you and ask you if you are really sure that she has to go, but that time she did not, and talking to her an other dialogue started.

i have to say that it was with the original game, so in EE it can be different, but if is true that the trick works for short drops for long ones it is not always so.
    i don't know if there is a specific timer, or if going from chapter to chapter matters or if the reason is an other but to drop jaheira and leave the area before she reaches you and ask you if you are sure of your decision, better to do it in some room you don't have other reasons to enter, is not always 100% safe.
    Klorox wrote: »

Yeah, see I’m not too interested in worrying about all that while trying to track down Irenicus.

I don't blame you. You REALLY need to be a Jaheira fan to go through all that.