Skip to content

Help with Campaign

FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
I am currently writting the first double sized module of four+ for a campaign setting I am writting. It is ideally rich, simple and "funsy". I have less than 3 weeks before a week long very game heavy vacation. I am just getting a hotel room for a week and might not leave it. Peoples are taking PTO and Leave so I need to make a good showing. Any 3.5 or older folks with a critical eye and email take a look at some stuff and tell me how they feel about it. It'll be about the races/classes and setting around 1 town , it's nearby area, and it's little place in the world. Very pizza and soda kinda game. @SandmanCCL @LadyRhian @HahaCharade

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Sure I'll take a look
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    @HahaCharade I will be at a real computer tonight and I will send an Email. Can you message me yours?
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I was actually never very good at coming up with good, "balanced" gameplay campaigns. I frequently fudged dice rolls so my players wouldn't get murdered by some accidentally too difficult encounter, and often times we just dropped rolling a dice all-together if the idea of that particular player was awesome.

My only real piece of advice is think about the players in mind. Something I feel is under-represented in Table Top Settings is something that focuses more on all the dialogical choices rather than combat ones. My favorite campaign me and friends ever did, there was hardly any combat in it. My friend Zach was the DM and he took everyone aside at the outset to give us separate goals for our character. None of us were allowed to share details of our guy with others except stuff that was obvious (class, race, gender, but not stats or alignment). I ended up being a Lawful Evil rogue/wizard in service of an underground coup trying to wrestle control away from the city, while everyone else in the group was good-aligned of some kind. It was freakin' AWESOME. Zach came up with all sorts of ways for us to do the combat other than relying on actual dice rolls, too, like the time I saved the group from a horde of shambling undead by lighting a cart bearing a bale of hay on fire and pushing it at the zombies.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sure, I can look for you. Do you have any idea what sort of campaign your players want, and what they enjoy? If you want to keep it "Funsy", this is something you'll want to keep in mind. If they like puzzle-solving, add in some nice, twisty puzzles. Give nods to all the characters. If there is a lot of combat, give non-combat specialized characters something good to do also. No character should feel like they are always being shoved into the background.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    CHEAT!!!!
    a friend/co-DM asked me how often I fudged dice rolls while DM'ing...
    he was shocked when I told him a good 75% of my DM dice rolls were bald lies...
    the DM's screen (wall of fear & ignorance) is your friend!!...all that matters is the game, the dice are no more than tools--or sound effects, as they rattle away behind your screen...

seriously, though, @Figrut...as the wise @LadyRhian stated, give each & every character a way to make his/her mark; also, make sure you engage all 5 senses when describing the world to your players...make your game world as tangible as possible...