Skip to content

Torgal, The Party Slayer

Torgal won't fall! I've been beating on him every way I can think and can get him down to just barely injured before him blows up my whole party! Do i need to change the settings to kill him? Do i need to wait until 15th lvl?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    TorGal's defenses: immune to sleep, charm, fear, confusion, stun, paralysis, hold, petrification, feeblemind, disintegration, non-magic weapons. Regenerates 12 HP per round. 30% magic resistant, 30% cold and electric resistant. Saves 4/6/5/4/7, matching a 16th level fighter. 16 HD, 140 HP, AC -6.
    And, of course, the standard troll resistance; if you beat him down, you have a few rounds to apply fire or acid for the kill before he gets up fully restored. Note that the Flame Blade spell is not a valid method for finishing him, unlike with most trolls; it doesn't create a magical weapon.

How much damage are you dealing? Minsc at level 8, straight out of the starting dungeon with a +2 two-handed sword, has modified THAC0 8 and deals 10-19 damage per hit, attacking twice per round. That's an average of 11.6 damage per round - he keeps up with TorGal's regeneration all on his own, and that's just one attacker with a minimal setup. It shouldn't be hard to hurt TorGal; the issue is surviving while you do it.

Of course, trolls and regenerating creatures are notoriously buggy. It's possible you've caught one of those stacking regeneration bugs, in which case the only real recourse is to go back to a save before entering the basement for the first time.
    Even with such a bug, TorGal can be affected by instant death effects. He's got too many levels for something like Cloudkill or Death Spell to work, but something like Finger of Death can kill him - if you beat the magic resistance and saves. Softening him up with the likes of Greater Malison, Doom, and Lower Resistance helps.
    RedRodentSkatanReticent
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also if you can, summon fire elementals, jaheira really shines here as she can be good in melee and summon fire elementals ( or if you have cernd you can do it as well )
    RedRodentSkatan
    Yes, this is a telegraphed boss fight to bring your buffs and summons out for. Do note those troll immunities, though - while the nymphs from Call Woodland Beings are great in general, they have a hard time contributing in this fight.
    sarevok57
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Also note that sometimes trolls WONT FALL DOWN sometimes if hit often enough in a short amount of time.
    The "fall down" condition is only checked so often; sometimes you just have to wait a few seconds after you've inflicted enough damage. But of course, if the troll isn't showing at "near death", this isn't the problem.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    When fighting a tightly packed group of trolls it helped that there was an audio effect when a troll "fell down" - however that disappeared in v2.x.
    Reticent