Skip to content

Are you a hoarder?

Am I a hoarder? Yes I am! Am I proud? No....

Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them. A person with hoarding disorder experiences distress at the thought of getting rid of the items. Excessive accumulation of items, regardless of actual value, occurs.

Yesss it is I!! I don't want to do it! What must I do to stop??:)) Ideas to try next game to help me:

-using items is FUN, remember it. I know it is! Just do it! Have more fun with all those wands! You reeeallyyy don't need 4 wands of paralysis no? or 4 types of strengths potions!! Use them...ahem

- darned bags that let me put stuff in them, one of these days I will not pick any bags!! Then i will HAVE to use all the stuff I pick not just tossing them in endless containers! Damn you bags!

What else? What else can I do?
IseweinBelgarathMTHenergisedcamellost1

Comments

• VanDerBergVanDerBerg Member Posts: 217
    Nonsense, I need all 34 potions of mirrored eyes for the fight against Aec'Letec. And I cannot drink any of the 50 potions of strength, because what if I run out of them just when I need to face Sarevok? And I cannot possibly sell those 10 scrolls of infravision, because what if...
    BelgarathMTHenergisedcamellost1
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    I've stopped buying the containers in BG1 to try to force myself to use consumable items. If you can't see the items cluttering up your inventory, you are much less likely to use them.
    ilduderinolost1
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    If you truly don't want to do it, then simply leave all consumables in their original locations instead of picking them up. Alternatively, if you don't want to lose out on gold, immediately put them into their corresponding containers and then never open those containers except to sell items to vendors.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited June 2020
    I have a few rules of thumb to keep inventory overload in check. It won't work for every play style but if you are an SCS tactical type player you would not need any advice regardless.
    • Max 6 of a single potion type (except heals), sell or consume excess asap. I never run out of the ones I like using after reaching the cap.
    • Upgrade strength potions. If you have a few hill/stone giant str pots, sell them and replace with frost/cloud/storm when you find a merchant selling them.
    • Max 3 of a useful spell scroll (except green protectors), sell excess. Sell all useless types like Know Alignment, Chill Touch etc.
    • Sell all gems/jewellery that are not equipped unless you are keeping for charge abilities e.g. necklace of missiles, shield amulet
    • Fully recharge wands and other charged items at merchants - this is costly but you *will* be selling most of your loot to fund it. Only do one or two wands of a given type to full! If you get an extra one, just use the new one until all charges gone. If you get another extra e.g. fourth paralyzation wand, just vendor it.
    • Avoid memorising spells that duplicate abilities of charged items. Nobody should memorise fireball/lightning bolt and the like except Dynaheir the invoker. The rest should use wands and memorise something else.
    • If one fireball is called for, four would also be suitable. Wands, potions, necklace of missiles. Just do it!
    • If one scorcher is called for, four would also be suitable. Ring of energy, potion firebreath, fire wands. But don't just do it! Position carefully to avoid crossing streams.
    • Only keep one "spare" stack of magical ammo types and use all warrior/rogue quiver slots to store where you can. Use all excess asap. You can buy top ups later if needed.
    • Vendor trash all magic weapons/armor that you know you won't equip again. Spend the gold on stuff you will actually use.

I might keep a stash of unused high value items if intending to do SoD because of the... financial headwinds. I might breach the cap with extra scrolls or potions of certain types for a certain class e.g. Kensai would not sell a potion of defense, Fighter/Mage would not sell a blur scroll, etc etc. Just use as many of the above rules as logic dictates.

It helps to sell all your unique cast offs at one place on the small chance that you would like to get them back. Feldeposts is good because open all hours and available the whole game, Thalantyr is nearby too. In the late game, sorcerous sundries of course and black lily or silence for your fenced items.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    If you haven't tried, no-reload, or limited reload challenges will do a lot to force you to unclutter your inventory.

Definitely the one aspect of the BG games that has aged the poorest is inventory management. And hoarding consumable items will turn your inventory management into a tedious chore.

But if you force yourself to only reload from an inn save, or even take on the harder no-reload challenge, you will burn through those consumables at a pretty good clip. And, in my experience, the game ends up playing a lot closer to its original intention.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    The trouble here is that early on you literally have squat. I think you get, at most, a dagger, a staff, and one or two regular health potions. If you are feeling mercenary, you can pick up that nitwit necromancer and his love interest, at which point you add some crappy leather armor. None of these items, save the potion, are magical. This sorry state of affairs continues for quite some time, so it encourages players to horde later on, but it's legit story telling.

At any rate, I used to be a lot worse, but now I sell anything that doesn't have a unique name. Long Sword + 2? Hock it. Named sword + 2? Yeah, that's going to look awesome on my PC's mantle one day.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only items i ever hoard are;

wand of fireballs/paralyzation ( never recharge )

potions of power
    potions of storm giant STR
    potions of magic shielding

potions of invulnerability x6
    potions of cloud giant STR x3

and if im playing with a non made party;

potions of fortitude x4 or 5
    potions of agility x4 or 5

other than that, sell away, in bg1 i play gold piece runs so my inventories after coming to town are squeaky clean, and for the above items, most of those potions are just there for the last battle with sarevok and except the potions of invul/cloud str, those are for the very end of the durlag's quest with the tanari demon dude

although, when i play solo runs ( which is like once a year at most ) then garrick becomes my "mobile storage facility" and i will have him hang out by a barrel which is just filled to the brim with goodies and make it so even garrick's inventory may be filled with goodies as well

its kind of funny, every time i do a solo run, i keep absolutely every item that i think will be useful and by the end i don't even use 70% of them, damn is that necklaces of missiles AMAZING in a solo run, pretty much MVI ( most valuable item ) of the solo game, well at least for bg1 that is
    ilduderino
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I only ever pick up magic items. REALLY helps declutter inventory. Oh, and gems.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I only ever pick up magic items. REALLY helps declutter inventory. Oh, and gems.

This works great, until you run into golems that can only be harmed by mundane weapons. That said, I keep my inventory of mundane weapons very, very low.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maurvir wrote: »

This works great, until you run into golems that can only be harmed by mundane weapons. That said, I keep my inventory of mundane weapons very, very low.

Mundane weapons are ALWAYS lying around in the same room though.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Maurvir wrote: »

Mundane weapons are ALWAYS lying around in the same room though.

Chekhov's mundane weapons. :)
    ThacoBellAerakar