Skip to content

BG and Diablo merge

Yes I know it's an unholy idea I got, and abominable to most, but it has haunted me ever since I played the Diablo I and BG I series and onwards.

Why can't I have both, a good long massive story with random drops, it's kinda weird just to know in advance where all the good things are, and I would know all the locals.

The Diabl I - III story felt like an insult to me, and no big side quests.

What would thrill me is random maps, bit like the Warlord II maps, and HoMaM series.

..PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE!!!!!!

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    It's impossible to do

The game engine is too complicated to do random maps
    The D&D rules doesn't let you to make such random weapons as in Diablo series.

Brude
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Kirkor said:

It's impossible to do

The game engine is too complicated to do random maps
    The D&D rules doesn't let you to make such random weapons as in Diablo series.

We can have random drops like in IWD and BG III should have an entirely new engine, so I'm sure it should be possible with random map.

And random quests please!

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You've got it the wrong way round.
    What I'd like to see is a game set in the cool, dark atmospheric world of diablo, with the mechanics of a baldur's gate game.
    BrudeMatteoTurini
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure about random maps but randomizing drops is something I would consider getting behind, and has actually been discussed a few times on this forum.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    What about random quests?
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    There is somekind "Baldur's Gate mod" for Diablo but I have never tried it and I'm not sure what it actually do. But you know your idea was already implemented in some way.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    I'd like to say that in it's own right, Diablo franchise is fun. That said, I think the idea of random dungeons would be really fun for BG, but no other aspect of Diablo do I think would work. Diablo is about fast paced combat, where you quickly dispatch and move enemy to enemy, which wouldn't work well with a party based game.

As for the excessive random loot drops, please see my thread here.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    It may be worth mentioning that there has been an official D&D/Diablo "mashup" published around 2001, so the idea of playing Diablo using the BG engine doesn't seem that far-fetched.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/main.asp?x=d2/diabloii,3

Maybe the new version of the engine will be modding-friendly enough so an adventurous modder could tackle the project.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    That came out with the D2 Collectors Edition. It had character sheets, mini dice, tiles, etc. I had one but sold it on eBay a few years ago ;)