Skip to content

Baldur's Gate "3.75"

13»

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    kanisatha wrote: »

However, let's also not overlook that in 5e FR [...]

Well, 5e was a greater dealbreaker than 4e was for me to entomb DnD due to mechanic and late-game class imbalance.

Yet in the end, it's the fact that all major aspect of the game was changed by Larian that makes BG3 unlike BG. At least Beamdog has the merit of SoD being more widely included as part of BG, right?

Hey I hear you. Believe me I'm not the guy to try and sell you on BG3. I was just making an observation on the discussion about magic in the FR setting. :smiley:
  • Flame_ExcessFlame_Excess Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2020

Hey I hear you. Believe me I'm not the guy to try and sell you on BG3. I was just making an observation on the discussion about magic in the FR setting. :smiley:

And I'm not the guy to argue with you, only to try and bring back the OP topic onto BG3 and the need for Beamdog to salvage its next legaccy after Larian ruined it for many of us. :D;)

Whether it's believed to happen or not, who wants it? Before I start a poll in another topic, I would like to ask your opinion to get an idea of what I should put in the poll options.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I can agree that the setting is "stale" if games just keep going back to the Swordcoast or Icewind Dale or Neverwinter. But there are soooooo many other very interesting areas within the Realms.
    I could let it slide if WotC had any intention at all to let video game adaptions actually use those truly interesting places as their setting. But no. It always, always, always, aLwAyS, AlWaYs, AAALWAAAYS has to be either the Sword Coast, Waterdeep or Icewind Dale. I am tired of seeing those locations over and over again. So... very.... tired.

To be honest, at this point in time the only locations which interest me anymore inside Faerun are Chessenta, Mulhorand and Unther. I just see no way in Baator for WotC to greenlight future IP's with either of those three countries as their main locations. Might just as well wait until Owlcat does an adaption of the Mummy's Mask AP. That will probably be as close as we can get to Mulhorand inside a cRPG. And don't get me started with the diminutive likelihood of ever seeing other continents of Toril such as Maztica, Zakhara or Osse. Because we might just as well call the whole planet "Faerun". At least that's what Wizards apparently think anyway... *sigh*
    /rant

I wouldn't mind a return to Amn. They actually even forgot to include Athkatla when they made the map for 5E in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (though they included Murann).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    What. The actual source material forgot it? Yeesh. This is why you don't outsource your setting people
    WarChiefZeke
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Is Ed Greenwood still with WotC? He's basically Ao to the FR; I can't imagine him making a mistake like that.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I believe he's only contracted for book writing, if he still does any, and he probably has some stake in the settings he originated, but probably not so much writing for the game and source books.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2020
    To be fair Athkathla lost a great deal of importance after the trade with Maztica ended when the entire continent was transported to Abeir during the Spellplague in 1385 DR.

There´s not major campaign taking place in the city or its surroundings too, but yeah, It´s strange that they do not include the city in the SCAG.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    @scriver: That's a shame. I always felt that Ed Greenwood was a much better worldbuilder than he was a author, if I'm being honest. XD He does an incredible job at putting together cultures, governments, ecologies, terrain etc. and weaving everything together into a logical, cohesive whole, but his actual stories are... a little wanting.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Zaxares wrote: »
    @scriver: That's a shame. I always felt that Ed Greenwood was a much better worldbuilder than he was a author, if I'm being honest. XD He does an incredible job at putting together cultures, governments, ecologies, terrain etc. and weaving everything together into a logical, cohesive whole, but his actual stories are... a little wanting.

My understanding is that Ed has nothing to do with WotC anymore. His only connection was that when he sold everything to WotC he included a condition that WotC needed to allow him to write a minimum of one FR novel per year. But this provision no longer applies because WotC has discontinued publishing FR novels altogether.

You can get a lot of insight on this sort of stuff by browsing the Candlekeep website forum.