Skip to content

[IWD2] Does duel wielding affect the APR of main hand?

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited July 2020 in Off-Topic
After being hasted, my level 16 paladin (sword+shield) can attack 5 times per round with his main hand, while my level 16 ranger (duel wielding) can only attack 4 times per round with his main hand (by the way, his off hand can attack 1 time per round).

It seems that duel wielding affect the APR of main hand. Is it true?
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    What (exact) weapons are you using?
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    What (exact) weapons are you using?

I had tried different weapons (sword, morningstar, flail, dagger, and scimitar), and it doesn't matter.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Unless your paladin is using a +1 apr weapon (Belm, Kundane, etc...) that shouldn't be happening.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited July 2020
    I'm don't remember the game showing you the split between main and off-hand attacks - how have you determined that?

Does the game show 5 APR for both characters in the character record screen?
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Unless your paladin is using a +1 apr weapon (Belm, Kundane, etc...) that shouldn't be happening.

Yeah. It's weird. My paladin isn't using those weapons.
    edited July 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I'm don't remember the game showing you the split between main and off-hand attacks - how have you determined that?

Does the game show 5 APR for both characters in the character record screen?

The info can be found in the Attack Roll Modifiers section, which is in the Weapons and Armors tab of a character's Record.

This is how the section of my hasted level 16 paladin looks like:
    Main Hand: +30/+25/+20/+15/+14
      Base: +16/+11/+6/+1
      Weapon: +5
      Abilities: +5
      Others: +4

Damage Bonus: +2

Critical Hit Bonus: +1
    Number of Attacks: 5

And my hasted level 16 ranger's:
    Main Hand: +29/+24/+19/+14
      Base: +16/+11/+6/+1
      Weapon: +4
      Proficiency: -1
      Abilities: +8

Off Hand: +28
      Base +16
      Weapon: +4
      Proficiency: -2
      Abilities: +8
      Others: +2

Damage Bonus: +2

Critical Hit Bonus: +1
    Number of Attacks: 4+1

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Apologies. I read your initial post as being about IWD (which is 2nd edition), rather than IWD2 (which is 3rd). I haven't played IWD2 enough to be sure what's going on. However, the fact that your ranger is taking a proficiency penalty to its THAC0 is suggestive of one possibility - that the APR bonus normally given to higher level fighters (at levels 7 and 13) are not operative when using a non-proficient weapon. Try giving your ranger a proficient weapon and see if that gives him an extra attack.
    edited July 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Apologies. I read your initial post as being about IWD (which is 2nd edition), rather than IWD2 (which is 3rd). I haven't played IWD2 enough to be sure what's going on. However, the fact that your ranger is taking a proficiency penalty to its THAC0 is suggestive of one possibility - that the APR bonus normally given to higher level fighters (at levels 7 and 13) are not operative when using a non-proficient weapon. Try giving your ranger a proficient weapon and see if that gives him an extra attack.

That's okay.

The penalty of Proficiency my ranger is taking is actually the duel wielding penalty. He is using a large sword on the main hand and a small blade on the off hand, and thus the duel wielding penalty reduced from -4 to -2. (If he were using non-small blades on both hands, the duel wielding penalty would remain at -4.)

And because he took the second rank of weapon proficiency in large sword, the penalty to his main hand, which is using a large sword, further reduced from -2 to -1.