Skip to content

Are whips available in the main game?

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
I saw on the wiki that whip "Requires Hordes of the Underdark". Not sure if that means whips are exclusive in the said expansion pack.

I started playing the game (enhanced edition) last night. I'm currently leveling up to level 3 and saw the description of the "Weapon Proficient (exotic)" feat mentions whip.

I think whips are cool weapons so I like them. Although my character is a wizard, I might still take the feat in order to use whips for role playing reasons. I just need a confirmation that whips are available in the main game, too. Thanks.
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    HotU ships with the main game these days, so whips are available.

You won't find one until you play HotU, but you should be able to spawn one in the earlier modules using the console command

dm_spawnitem x2_it_wpwhip

You'll need the exotic weapons feat to use it.
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    Proleric wrote: »
    HotU ships with the main game these days, so whips are available.

You won't find one until you play HotU, but you should be able to spawn one in the earlier modules using the console command

dm_spawnitem x2_it_wpwhip

You'll need the exotic weapons feat to use it.

I see. So without using console command, there is no whip in the main game. I'll give up the idea of using whips in the main game then.

Are there whips in other expansion packs?
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Only in Expansion 2 (Hordes of the Underdark), not just Whips but some other weapons too.

They never bothered to update the shops in the OC to have the Expansion added weapons.

The OC does have a random loot system which is affected by Weapon Focus Feat, I'm wondering if you could still get one from a chest.
    edited July 2020
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    Only in Expansion 2 (Hordes of the Underdark), not just Whips but some other weapons too.

They never bothered to update the shops in the OC to have the Expansion added weapons.

The OC does have a random loot system which is affected by Weapon Focus Feat, I'm wondering if you could still get one from a chest.

Thanks. So I have to firstly choose the Weapon Proficiency (exotic) feat and then choose the Weapon Focus feat in whip in order to have chances of whips being generated by the random loot system. I'll pass.
    And pass up the chance of getting a low damage Whip.

I did try it out a couple of times and i like the sound it makes each strike but imagine hearing a Whip sound hundreds of times...

A Longsword is a solid choice but if your looking for Exotic maybe Bastard or Katana, Scythe maybe?
    edited July 2020
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    And pass up the chance of getting a low damage Whip.

I did try it out a couple of times and i like the sound it makes each strike but imagine hearing a Whip sound hundreds of times...

A Longsword is a solid choice but if your looking for Exotic maybe Bastard or Katana, Scythe maybe?

Yeah. Low damage is an issue. It's a shame that the game does not let us imbue magic damages into our crafted weapons. Whips would be more powerful if we can imbue magic damages into them so that a hit made with a whip also deals something like 1d6 fire and 1d8 positive energy damages.

Is the disarm useful? I had learned that whips grant users free Disarm feat when the weapon is being used.
    It does work thier weapon falls on the ground.

In HOTU XP2 there is a merchant who will upgrade weapons for a lot of gold, in chapter 2 & 3.
    It would be nice if you could have Longsword & Whip combo, at range you disarm than run in for a slashing.
    @Cerabelus Thanks for the info of upgrading weapons. I had heard that duel wielding works with whips.
    Really? I should check that out.
    Well i tried out the dual Longsword Whip and tried to disarm the first enemy i could...

wf4d66qhlcmt.png

I guess Skeletons cannot be disarmed.

I had to spawn in the item, (DebugMode 1, dm_spawnitem x2_it_wpmwhip2 1) for a +2 Whip.
    @Cerabelus Does it work on non-skeleton enemies?
    I just tested it and yes the Drow did lose thier weapons but it didn't fall on the ground.

I remember trying it out years ago and it did, maybe i remembered wrong.

r20yrcqcpofa.png
    6xdx6594x9nm.png
    edited July 2020
    Cool. :) Thanks for testing it.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited July 2020

Is the disarm useful? I had learned that whips grant users free Disarm feat when the weapon is being used.

Yes, disarm is useful. Useful enough that you shouldn't limit yourself to the free disarm feat from the whip, but go all in with 13 int for improved disarm, improved knockdown, and preferably, a two handed weapon. This will maximize the effectiveness of disarm and knockdown. Disarm is great for dangerous melee opponents, knockdown keeps spellcasters immobile and unable to use spells.