Skip to content

YouTube posts gone dark - can anyone help?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, friends. I find myself in a predicament all of sudden, where, anytime somebody posts a video from YouTube, I can't play it in the forum anymore. There's just a black screen with an arrow in it, and no other controls. If I click the arrow, the arrow disappears, and I start hearing the audio, but there is no video and no controls for play, pause, ff, etc.

I wasn't having any trouble before. It started a few days ago. I don't know if there's a forum setting that got reset somehow, or if there's something changed in my computer's browser or video play settings.

Can any computer geniuses out there think of why this might be happening? I really liked being able to watch the videos inside posts.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Shandyr, thanks. No luck yet. It was a good idea to check YouTube itself - no problems there.

I've been using my current computer for quite a few years, and lately I've been having some weird slowness issues, especially online. I suspect that I've gotten too much collected crap running in the background and tying up too much of my computer's memory. I haven't done a total shutdown in a while, so maybe I'll try that. Restarting didn't help.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skill to sort through all the background programs and separate out what's essential from what's not.

Anyway, thanks for helping me troubleshoot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, it's fixed! It turns out that my problem was that I was still using Internet Explorer 8, and I needed to upgrade to Internet Explorer 9. Most websites have still been supporting v. 8, but they are all gradually ending support for it. Since this forum site is still under construction, with changes being made and features being added frequently, they must have done some stuff that made the site start to get less and less compatible with v.8.

Wow, the forum looks fantastic! There have been a lot of graphical improvements made that I wasn't seeing.

My troubles started on about October 10, and I know that date now, because I checked my WIndows Update log and saw that there were five or six automatic Windows updates that downloaded and installed on that day. There were also five "optional" updates hiding in there that I still needed to install, including the upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Anyway, I'm happy now! Thanks for helping.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.