Skip to content

[KIT MOD] The Shieldbearer - V1.0

LafeinLafein Member Posts: 9
edited August 2016 in BG:EE Mods
The Shieldbearer - V1.0
A mod for BGEE, IWDEE, BG2EE.

First off, thanks for stopping by.

Second, this mod is fresh off the press. Version 1.0. You might even consider this a beta. If there are problems (of which, there are bound to be several), please let me know, and I'll fix it. Feedback on functionality of the kit, as well as gameplay balance, is wholly welcome.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, thank you to @Subtledoctor and @CrevsDaak for answering several questions of mine, and for writing their own mods for me to shamelessly learn from.

For installation, simply copy the setup, tp2 file, and mod folder into your game directory and execute.
You can also download the mod here: https://github.com/Lafein/Shieldbearer-kit-for-BGEE/raw/master/SM_Shieldbearer.zip

Shieldbearers are trained from a young age in the often underappreciated use of shields. Where some warriors might discard the shield in favor of a second weapon, or a larger blade, the Shieldbearer stays true to the path. For their perseverance and dedication to the art, they are rewarded with the knowledge needed to turn a simple shield into an invaluable, and often deadly, extension of themselves.

Known Issues

-The most glaring issue for me is that none of the SB's abilities require having a shield equipped. Now, I'm going to assume that if you've downloaded this, you want to play a fighter that uses a shield. The place where I can see this being the most noticeable is if you play with breakable shields.

So for now, you can shield bash without a shield. If you know of a way that this case be remedied, let me know.

-Offensive/Defensive Fighting use the Offensive/Defensive Spin Portrait icons. Not my preference, but I haven't devised a way to dynamically add to STATDESC.2DA and update the spell's Display Portrait Icon accordingly yet. I'm sure there's a way, I just haven't found it yet.

-I'm sure there are many more, but hey, as of writing this I've JUST finished the mod. So let me know if any issues come up and I'll make like a tree and fix it.

Class Features
Advantages:
-Hit Die: d10
-May gain High Mastery in Sword and Shield Style.
-Gains a number of unique abilities starting at level 1.

-1st Level: Defensive Fighting and Offensive fighting stances.
-2nd Level: Shield Bash and Shield Block.
-3rd Level: Defender.
-5th Level: Second Wind.
-7th Level: Shield Wall.
-9th Level: Shield Ward.

Disadvantages:
-May only achieve mastery in One-handed weapons, and Specialization in all other melee weapon types.
-Cannot specialize in ranged weapons.
-May not put points in Dual-weapon or Two-Handed weapon styles.
-THAC0 increases at slower rate than normal Fighters.

Abilities
DEFENSIVE FIGHTING: While some would consider wearing a shield enough to be considered "Defensive Fighting", the Shieldbearer understands the subtle differences that make a shield more than a simple wall to hide behind. By utilizing that knowledge, can more easily deflect incoming blows, at the cost of accuracy and damage. For as long as this stance is active, the Shieldbearer gains +1 bonus to AC, 5% resistance to physical damage, and a -1 penalty to THAC0 and damage. The bonuses and penalties increase at levels 4, 12, and 20.

-1st level: +1 AC for -1 THAC0 and Damage, 5% resistance to phyiscal damage.
-4th level: +2 AC for -1 THAC0 and Damage, 10% resistance to phyiscal damage.
-12th level: +3 AC for -2 THAC0 and Damage, 15% resistance to phyiscal damage.
-20th level: +4 AC for -2 THAC0 and Damage, 20% resistance to phyiscal damage.

OFFENSIVE FIGHTING: The Shieldbearer has learned to use shield more effectively as a weapon, but as a result, loses some of the protection that it would normally provide. For as long as this stance is active, the Shieldbearer gains +1 to THAC0, a -2 penalty to AC, and an on-hit effect for extra crushing damage. The damage bonus increases at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, while the THAC0 and AC penalty increase at levels 4, 12, and 20.

-1st level: +1 crushing damage/+1 THAC0 for -2 penalty to AC.
-4th level: +1d4 crushing damage/+2 THAC0 for -3 penalty to AC.
-8th level: +1d6 crushing damage
-12th level: +1d8 crushing damage/+3 THAC0 for -4 penalty to AC.
-16th level: +1d10 crushing damage
-20th level: +1d12 crushing damage/+3 THAC0 for -5 penalty to AC.

-2nd Level: May use Shield Bash and Shield Block.

SHIELD BASH: Just as a shield can be used to deflect and block incoming blows, so too can it be used to deliver devastating, and often unexpected, attacks. Nowhere is this more true than with a shield wielded by a trained Shieldbearer, for even inexperienced students of the shield are capable of delivering powerful strikes that leave their targets dazed and disoriented. Starting at single use at 2nd level, a Shieldbearer can deliver 1d6 + STR damage, plus Daze with a successful Shield Bash. The strength of the attack and the number of uses per day* grow at levels 4, 6, 8, and 10. At level 6, Shield Bash has a chance to stun the target for 1 round.

-2nd level: 2d4+STR+Daze 1 rounds (-1 THAC0/AC)
-4th level: 3d4+STR+Daze 2 rounds (-1 THAC0/AC)
-6th level: 4d4+STR+Daze 2 rounds (-2 THAC0/AC) + Stun 1 round (Save vs Paralysis -2)
-8th level: 5d4+STR+Daze 3 rounds (-2 THAC0/AC)
-10th level: 6d4+STR+Daze 3 rounds (-3 THAC0/AC)
*5 uses available at level 10, with an additional use granted every 6 levels after.

SHIELD BLOCK: Where a solid Shield Bash may highlight the offensive capabilities of a shield, a well timed Shield Block offers a glimpse into how valuable a shield can be in protecting the life of its wielder. Often learned early in a Shieldbearers training, the Shield Block allows the bearer to focus on deflecting a single incoming strike with startling precision. Starting at a single use at level 2, Shield Block grants a -2 bonus to AC, and immunity from the first attack each round for 2 rounds, plus an additional round every 4 levels, up to 6 rounds at level 18. An additional use is gained at levels 6, 10, 14, and 18.

-2nd level: +2 AC + Block 1 for 2 Rounds
-6th level: +2 AC + Block 1 for 3 Rounds
-10th level: +2 AC + Block 1 for 4 Rounds
-14th level: +2 AC + Block 1 for 5 Rounds
-18th level: +2 AC + Block 1 for 6 Rounds

-3rd Level: May use Defender.

DEFENDER: A student of the shield is often taught that their shield is not only used to protect themselves, but also to protect the lives of those around them. For even the most callous soldier knows the importance of protecting allies on the battlefield. Starting with one use at 3rd level, the Shieldbearer can focus on defending an ally, at the cost of losing some of that protection themselves, granting +2 bonus AC and 5% resistance to physical attacks at the cost of a -2 penalty to AC and 5% vulnerability to physical attacks for 6 rounds. The power of this ability, and its number of uses grow at levels 9, 15, and 21, with an additional use granted every 6 levels past that.

-3rd level: Target gains +2 AC and 5% Physical resistance. Caster loses equal amount.
-9th level: Target gains +3 AC and 10% Physical resistance. Caster loses equal amount.
-15th level: Target gains +4 AC and 15% Physical resistance. Caster loses equal amount.
-21st level: Target gains +5 AC and 20% Physical resistance. Caster loses equal amount.

Abilities Continued
-5th Level: May use Second Wind.

SECOND WIND: There is a saying coined by the famous (or perhaps infamous) General Napol Bonapere, who served Tethyr under King Haedrak III; "The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue." There is no doubt that fatigue has perhaps killed its fair share of able-bodied soldiers, on and off the battlefield. But there are those who recognize this danger, and actively seek ways to combat this unseen foe. By enduring great hardships and perilous conditions, a warrior can learn to draw upon reserves of strength and energy to sustain through even the longest of marches, or tedious of battles. Even existing wounds and bruises seem lessened through this surge of raw vigor.

Starting at 5th level, a Shieldbearer can draw upon these reserves of energy once per day to aid in or out of combat.

-5th level: +15% of Max HP for 1 turn. Resets Morale and lessens Fatigue by 50%.
-8th level: +20% of Max HP for 1 turn. Resets Morale and lessens Fatigue by 50%.
-11th level: +25% of Max HP for 1 turn. Resets Morale and lessens Fatigue by 50%.
-14th level: +30% of Max HP for 1 turn. Resets Morale and lessens Fatigue by 50%.
-17th level: +35% of Max HP for 1 turn. Resets Morale and lessens Fatigue by 50%.

-7th Level: May use Shield Wall.

SHIELD WALL: Shieldbearers are taught that not all shield walls require an entire group of soldiers, and that with the proper technique and skill, even one can stand defiant against overwhelming odds. This intense concentration on defense is physically taxing however, building fatigue equal to 4 hours of travel when the Shield Wall ends. Once per day, starting at 7th level, the Shieldbearer may enter into a shield wall for 1 turn. The Shieldbearer gains immunity to normal missles, +25% resistance to all weapon damage, and +2 bonus to saving throws. APR is set to .5, and movement speed is reduced to 1/4. Cannot be used with Offensive Fighting.

At 7th level, Shield Wall has the following effects;
Bonuses - Immunity to normal missles. +25% resistance to all weapon damage. +2 to saving throws
Penalties - APR set to .5. Movement speed reduced to 1/4. Cannot be used with Offensive Fighting. Builds fatigue.
-11th level: The movement speed in only reduced to 1/2.
-15th level: The APR is set to 1.

-9th Level: May use Shield Ward.

SHIELD WARD: The Shieldbearer has become so skilled at the art of the Shield, that even the feared magics of Mages and Sorcerors can be deflected, for a time. By using equal parts skill with a shield, and pure willpower, the Shieldbearer can deflect spells targetting once per day, for 1 round a level up to level 21. This ability functions as the Wizard spell Minor Spell Deflection at level 9, and as Spell Deflection at level 17, for the purposes of how spells are deflected. An additional use of this ability is granted at level 13.

-9th level: 3 spell levels Deflected
-13th level: 5 spell levels Deflected
-17th level: 7 spell levels Deflected
-21st level: 10 spell levels Deflected
Post edited by Lafein on
Aedan

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Awesome!
    And the TRA file are already available! I will translate the mod in Italian then.
    You rock, man :)
    Lafein
  • LafeinLafein Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2016
    Aedan said:

...I will translate the mod in Italian then.

Thanks!

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Looks to be an interesting concept.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    It's the perfect kit for Khalid.
    edited January 2017
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    edited January 2017
    I need to say that the 5 slots S&S Style is kind of unbalanced IMHO, any chance you review this?
  • elmek007elmek007 Member Posts: 10
    This kit does not get any HLAs, is this intended?