Skip to content

Mod That Removes All Traps?

EbonslayerEbonslayer Member Posts: 10
Preparing to go into Durlag's Tower, but I remember how I got through it on my first playthrough (wait 6 seconds, take a few steps forward and/or disarm traps, wait 6 seconds, take a few steps forward and/or disarm traps, ad infinitum) and I'd rather take a bullet than do that again. I've tried the "no traps and locks" component from Tweaks Anthology, but when going through Firewine Ruins I still got hit by traps, so it obviously doesn't work. Is there anything else that could help remove them? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Decided to say "fuck it" and just use NearInfinity to remove all the traps from Durlag's Tower. So much easier, less tedious, and enjoyable (it felt good basically telling the traps to "fuck off" as it were) compared to base Durlag's.
Post edited by Ebonslayer on

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    If you don't find a solution, consider using a ranger with stealth to move forward alongside your thief. This solution greatly reduced the tedium of dungeon crawling for me in my playthroughs.

Obviously you're free to play however you want, but, imo, removing the traps from Durlag's greatly reduces the experience. There's a few hallways where traps are often nothing more than time wasters, but for the most part, traps are used in concert with monster ambushes or specific puzzles in the tower. So I think you're shortchanging your experience here.
    ThacoBell
  • EbonslayerEbonslayer Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »
    If you don't find a solution, consider using a ranger with stealth to move forward alongside your thief. This solution greatly reduced the tedium of dungeon crawling for me in my playthroughs.

Obviously you're free to play however you want, but, imo, removing the traps from Durlag's greatly reduces the experience. There's a few hallways where traps are often nothing more than time wasters, but for the most part, traps are used in concert with monster ambushes or specific puzzles in the tower. So I think you're shortchanging your experience here.

Ranger wouldn't help the tedium at all. It's still just waiting for the next 6 seconds every time I move, and occasionally retreating to my party when I find something that will murder me even without stepping on it.

And I highly doubt it will hurt my experience at all. A dozen fireball or lightning traps that I cannot see (and thus, make an attempt to avoid through positioning) layered around a battlefield I won't be able to disarm them in until after everything's dead? I call that "unnecessary and unavoidable punishment", which a sane person may call "shitty game design".
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Durlag's Tower is trapped with good reason - it's part of the plot for the area. Unfortunately, it does mean you practically must have a thief to get through that place without taking too much damage. Most of them do seem to be fire, though, so perhaps some potions of fire resistance? Also, I believe druids and clerics have a find traps spell that will help you prepare.
    ThacoBell
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Actually, most characters can put on equipment for 100% fire resistance indefinitely. Two rings of fire resistance, plus either the helm of defense (warriors, priests) or a robe of fire resistance (mages). Now, all the lightning traps ... you'll need potions or scrolls for those.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Yup, fire resistance is the way to go.
    Ebonslayer wrote: »

Ranger wouldn't help the tedium at all. It's still just waiting for the next 6 seconds every time I move, and occasionally retreating to my party when I find something that will murder me even without stepping on it.

And I highly doubt it will hurt my experience at all. A dozen fireball or lightning traps that I cannot see (and thus, make an attempt to avoid through positioning) layered around a battlefield I won't be able to disarm them in until after everything's dead? I call that "unnecessary and unavoidable punishment", which a sane person may call "shitty game design".

Eh, I've never heard anyone call Durlag's Tower "shitty game design". Quite the opposite. Again, I can kind of see where you're coming from with a dungeon like Firewine, but I think you're basically killing the experience of the dungeon with this plan.
    ThacoBell
  • Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    Its your 1st time i assume. After your playthrough you'll know where the traps are and its cheese. Those traps also give experiencepoints right? Oh well
    Yes, it's almost as if Durlag didn't want people in his tower or something...
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Durlag's Tower is a cautious, thoughtful, dungeon crawl. It might seem like it at times, but BG is not a hack and slash rpg. Caution and strategy are expected in most encounters. Durlag's is the culmination of all the elements of the rest of the game.
    DinoDinZaxares
  • SxphxrxthSxphxrxth Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2020
    If you have the console enabled you can pres ctrl 4 to reveal the traps.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh, I just remembered something. There is a fast trap detection mod that removes the once a round check. With it, your thief will find the trap in about a second, instead of six, assuming your find traps skill is high enough. Its on the forums here somehwere.
    edited July 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Durlag's Tower is a cautious, thoughtful, dungeon crawl. It might seem like it at times, but BG is not a hack and slash rpg. Caution and strategy are expected in most encounters. Durlag's is the culmination of all the elements of the rest of the game.

Also, Durlag's Tower is the capstone of the game, essentially. Generally speaking, once you're done with it, it's really nothing but wrapping up the rest of that sidequest and then the final dungeon of the game (which does indeed include a tedious trap section). I mean, even if you have other BG content left, such as the isle of Balduran, it's going to be a cakewalk by comparison.

Once Durlag's is over, the main challenges of the game are over! I don't understand why you'd want to rush through that.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    ... the final dungeon of the game (which does indeed include a tedious trap section).
    Actually, I find those traps to be beautifully well handled, and not at all tedious. There are literally marks on the walls telling you where the traps are. Once you know what to look for, you can speed through that section only really worrying about the combat.
    DinoDin
    jmerry wrote: »
    ... the final dungeon of the game (which does indeed include a tedious trap section).
    Actually, I find those traps to be beautifully well handled, and not at all tedious. There are literally marks on the walls telling you where the traps are. Once you know what to look for, you can speed through that section only really worrying about the combat.

They are marked in Durlag's Tower as well - only with dead bodies instead of painted arrows. I actually find the former more intriguing from a game play standpoint. I mean, if you see a pile of dead bodies, odds are good something bad is going on there.
    ThacoBell

You're right. I think the bigger problem isnt that those traps are bad but that the narrow corridors and the lousy pathing AI makes that part a grind. That is, you often find party members not doing what you intend them to do and have to constantly correct.

I think it's notable that you never really see dungeons with long corridors quite as narrow as here or firewine, ice island ever again in BG2.
    ThacoBelldunbar

You're right. I think the bigger problem isnt that those traps are bad but that the narrow corridors and the lousy pathing AI makes that part a grind. That is, you often find party members not doing what you intend them to do and have to constantly correct.

I think it's notable that you never really see dungeons with long corridors quite as narrow as here or firewine, ice island ever again in BG2.

Oddly enough, you do, you just don't realize it. There are several places BG2 where the walkable path is barely as wide as in Firewine, but they aren't constrained by walls. The bridge over the underground river in the Underdark, for example.

However, there are very few areas with condensed pathing like that, so maybe the developers learned something. I also like that BG2 has more organic looking dungeons, instead of the ridiculously geometrically perfect dungeons in BG2.
    Maurvir wrote: »

Oddly enough, you do, you just don't realize it. There are several places BG2 where the walkable path is barely as wide as in Firewine, but they aren't constrained by walls. The bridge over the underground river in the Underdark, for example.

However, there are very few areas with condensed pathing like that, so maybe the developers learned something. I also like that BG2 has more organic looking dungeons, instead of the ridiculously geometrically perfect dungeons in BG2.

To emphasize, my point was *long corridors*. Obviously everywhere from Firkraag's dungeon to the Planar Sphere, to even houses with doorways we get tiny, narrow corridors. But gone are the dungeons or levels that are almost entirely that.
    ThacoBell