Skip to content

Boomerang Dagger defaults to melee after Melf Minute Meteors are depleted.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a while but only created an account just now.

I'm playing a Sorcerer in BG2 and use MMMs quite extensively, but I also use the Boomerang dagger as a backup when I don't feel like re-casting them when they deplete. The thing is, after I run out of MMMs the dagger defaults to the melee attack and my sorc rushes into the fray every single time and I have to re-select the ranged attack manually. Is there any way to 'lock' the dagger into ranged attack?

I use the following mods: lefreut's Enhanced UI, More Style For Mages, The Tweaks Anthology, aTweaks.

Thanks.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I experienced that in my last vanilla run-through.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2020
    Standard game behavior is that whenever a missile weapon runs out of ammunition you default to a melee weapon, even if you have another missile weapon available. That's always seemed counter-intuitive to me, but you just need to keep an eye on your characters and react quickly if they start charging the enemy ...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There's an selection in options, "Switch to melee after depleting one stack of ammunition". Its a check box, and that should fix your problem.
    iosfrustration
  • mancesco_mancesco_ Member Posts: 5
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    There's an selection in options, "Switch to melee after depleting one stack of ammunition". Its a check box, and that should fix your problem.

I forgot to mention that I already tried that and it didn't make a difference. It's only for regular bows/crossbows/darts as far as I can tell.
    ThacoBell
    mancesco_ wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I forgot to mention that I already tried that and it didn't make a difference. It's only for regular bows/crossbows/darts as far as I can tell.

It applies to anything, but doesn't help your situation as you are aiming to avoid going to melee rather than the reverse.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well dang.
  • mancesco_mancesco_ Member Posts: 5
    Grond0 wrote: »
    It applies to anything, but doesn't help your situation as you are aiming to avoid going to melee rather than the reverse.

The option actually says "Don't melee after depleting one ammo stack", so in theory it should apply if I turned it on, but it doesn't (it doesn't do anything for my problem whether it's on or off).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.
    mancesco_ wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »

The option actually says "Don't melee after depleting one ammo stack", so in theory it should apply if I turned it on, but it doesn't (it doesn't do anything for my problem whether it's on or off).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

That's not what that option is for. What it's supposed to do is determine whether a character switches to melee after using up the current ammo stack or only after using up all available ammo stacks for the equipped missile weapon (bow/crossbow/sling). I don't think it's currently working anyway, but even if it were it would have no effect on whether you switch to melee after using up your MMMs.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The option works, at least with conventional ranged weapons. With the option set, a character set to prioritize ranged weapons will choose another stack of ammo when the current stack depletes.

More usefully, there's an option to auto-pause when a weapon becomes unusable - this gives you the option to choose the next weapon yourself rather than leaving it to the AI.
    ThacoBell
    jmerry wrote: »
    The option works, at least with conventional ranged weapons. With the option set, a character set to prioritize ranged weapons will choose another stack of ammo when the current stack depletes.

Oh I know that happens - but the way it's implemented at the moment is as follows:
    - with the option active you use all ammo stacks equipped until they are exhausted.
    - with the option inactive you use all ammo stacks, of the same type, equipped until they are exhausted.
    That means that in neither option will you necessarily switch to melee after using the current stack (which is what the option says it does). The actual option is arguably more useful, but my point was that it is not currently described accurately.
    Aerakar
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    The point for this discussion is that when spells like MMM expire, the game should return you to your previously selected weapon in its previously selected mode of use, which isn't happening. I'd personally consider that a bug though I don't know whether it's something that's being looked at for 2.6.
    Grond0Aerakar