Skip to content

How do i defeat the BG2EE Boss without the Slayer?

VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
I know that the lack of the Slayer is a bug right now. But how do I win?

Comments

• TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    easy cheesy way.
    spike traps.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    ummmm... there is no boss where you need the slayer. nor do you need cheese. but what boss are we talking about anyway?
    HeindrichThacoBell
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Irenicus? No slayer needed, no cheese needed, no worries.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Also don't forget to summon your meatshields and haste them.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    atcDave said:

I've never used the slayer. Just good tactics, use your mages to take down his defenses while your melee characters pound away. He really isn't so tough!

I tend to to do the same, I did not use it when ever I played good, because I think that you get like "corrupted" with evil form it. The Slayer is useful to solo Demiliches, and much more if you can't cast spells, because it gives immunity to imprisonment and it has a nice APR with good damage.
    mjs
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited January 2014
    Well for someone who isn't very good at playing wizard characters and knowing the exact weakness his enemies or waiting like forever for him to use up his magic.
    I used EEKeeper instead to give him the slayer he need to win.

Under Inate Abilities

End Slayer Change - SPMDSLAY
    Slayer Change - SPIN717

Anyway I hope this helps
    Post edited by Vasculio on
    Eudaemonium
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Well u got through it so maybe this is redundant, but I think it will still be useful for u to learn magic if u continue into ToB... You don't need a masterful understanding of magic to beat the game at Core Rules or lower. So here's a quick guide of sorts...

The no1 purpose of mages in BG 2 is penetrating enemy protections, especially other mages, your typical approach to a mage battle should be:

1) Can I see/target him? No?

Use True Sight.

2) Does he have lots of fancy looking spell protections? Yes?

Use Pierce Magic, Warding Whip, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Pierce Shield and Spell Strike etc to take down protections like Spell Turning, Globe of Invulnerability, etc...

3) Are my warriors able to hit him? No?

Cast Breach.

4) Are my spells able to hurt him? No?

Cast: Lower Resistance.

Note that steps 3) and 4) do not need to be done in sequence. If ur party relies on magic damage to take down enemies, then 4) is more important. If u normally rely on warriors to dish out the pain, 3) is more important. In both cases however, step 1 and 2 are important.

AstafasBelgarathMTHCorvinoMoczo
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    I just used the Slayer on that Lich. But protection from undead works too.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014

4) Are my spells able to hurt him? No?

Cast: Lower Resistance.

It should be 4 & 5 replcing 2, you maybe can't tell if the enemy has Spell Shield active, as it looks like Spell Turning.
    4) do he has any MR (and he is not a golem?) -> Lower Resistance, or either use the Cleric Spell Magic Resistance that sets MR at a number, also affecting enemies, no save nor immunities with this one, and it sets at 40% max.

5) is he immune to my spells?
    A) naturally immune -> hit it with weapons or High levels spells.
    B) has protections -> remove them with Ruby Ray of Reversal or Spellstrike just if you want to feel like a real pro.
    Update

After finishing SOA... I got back the original Slayer Change "SPIN822" back and Pocket Plane "SPIN649" was added. When starting TOB.

I will go back to my SOA save later and play around with the spells to see if I could beat the boss.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742

I just used the Slayer on that Lich. But protection from undead works too.

protection from undead is the greatest scroll ever. i walked through the final bodhi fight without once being targeted by a vampire when i used a scroll on each of my party
    CrevsDaak
    i personally don't use the scroll of undead protection because it is so cheesy and common lol. for kangaxx I used protection from magic scroll though because you need that, undead, or slayer to even make him possible in the first place, and it is expensive and only 2 in the game so that leaves me with one other battle I can use it on. then the undead scrolls you can just about use it every time you see undead and solo them as they don't fight back
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    you can kill irenicus the same way you kill dragons. Stay back, let your aerial servants occupy him, constantly cast breach/pierce magic/lower resistance, and constantly sling spells and magical weapons at him. He dies easy. I'm weaker as slayer, way weaker, then i am as a sorcerer.
    CrevsDaak
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    This time around my final irenicus fight (with SCS) involved 6 well placed spike traps and 2 dragons breaths as a finale... The one in Suldanessellar was just 5 spike traps...
    TwoWayFinesse
    the one in suldanessellar for me involved 5 skeleton warriors surrounding and entrapping him :)
    I used the protection scrolls like suggested and I was able to beat Irenicus without the Slayers. Thanks everone
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I think the only time I've ever used the Slayer in my life was for the -2 rep drop. Though I suppose they could be useful against a demilich, now that I've seen it used. Meh. I don't mind prebuffing like crazy.
    CrevsDaakCorvino
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I used it very reluctantly (for RP reasons) the first time I came across a demilich and lost 4 party members to Imprisonment. That was the only intentional transformation. I can't see how a good character can willingly surrender to the Slayer.
    CrevsDaakBelgarathMTH
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Well you could argue that Wolverine is a bit like that (at least when I still read the comics, sh*t, is it really 25 years ago?!): basically a good guy at heart but from time to time he has to give in to his berserker rage to beat some villain he couldn't otherwise and afterwards he has to live with the consequences.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    It would be nice to know your party before giving you strat, usually it's very simple against arcane caster, dispel them (breach pierce magic lower resistance) and tank them with lot of buff. You can still summon if you want but it's not really needed.
    Well I had used a custom party which mostly based around level 17. Except for Ajantis, who was imported later around Level 6 and became level 9 by the time we got to Irenicus.

1. Me - Fighter
    2. Jaheira - Druid Fighter
    3. Xzar - Necromancer "Exported from BG1EE from the Final Save using EEKeeper"
    4. Montaron - Thief Fighter "Exported from BG1EE from the Final Save using EEKeeper"
    5. Ajantis - Paladin "Exported from BG1EE from the Final Save using EEKeeper"
    6. Imoen - Thief Mage
    jackjack
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited February 2014
    I actually ran into an odd situation today.

Yesterday I ran into Slayer!Joneleth for the first time and got stomped multiple times... though the final time I came within inches of defeating him and would have succeeded if I hadn't wasted my Vhailor early on.

So today I kinda... overprepared. Jan set six traps roughly where I knew Jon was going to teleport once his initial minions were disposed of, and then Neera dropped ten Skull Traps in the middle of that (she gets 7 per day, plus I had 3 stored in a sequencer).

I was aiming for utter humiliation anyway, but those Skull Traps never even went off... (My traps were set just far enough north to be a non-threat. I still had to lure Jon into their range, which ended up being gingerly since I didn't want to annihilate myself with Skull Traps). I think my Simulacrum did most of the work, between summoning most of the cannon fodder and breaking Jon's mislead.

Anyway, question. Does any fight have more than one Death Spell to get rid of summons with? If not then Cleric Animate Dead seems to be a cheap way of purging out Death Spells.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    yes and it works for almost everything. The only thing that will multiple death spell you are beholders. And those are why the game invented incendiary clouds
    I know how i'm going to go about my next BG2EE play through with Xzar & Montaron and other BG1EE characters. Instead of importing them as pc's through Multiplayer and start them out in Dungeon.
    I will instead have them replace current NPC's. I will use the EEKeeper to export them from the BG1EE Final Save as Creatures in the BG2EE override folder. I will name the Xzar, XZAR to replace the BG2EE SOA Xzar that shows up when you deliver the poisoned man to the Harper Hold. Basicly that quest will end there and the Xzar from BG1EE will appear and ask to join you like any other pc character. With Montaron, I might replace Hexxat from the Copper Coronet with him. Ajantis i'm considering replacing Dorn with. Some many ideas. Hmm...
  • jmacjmac Member Posts: 2
    Easiest way to defeat any lich/mage including Irenicus is to stand outside his vision range and continuously summon monsters to burn through their spells. Irenicus will eventually be down to Magic Missile which he seems to have as an "at will" ability, but he can be cheesed from there.

The lich in the gate portion of Athkatla is even easier. Continue to leave the room he's in as he casts spells. Re-enter after a few seconds to allow him to begin casting another. Keep bouncing in and out and he'll run out of spells. Some liches will leave the space they're in and follow you, so be warned.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Never seen a 6.5 year old necro on these boards before, that is impressive work.
    Blackbɨrd
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    jsaving wrote: »
    Never seen a 6.5 year old necro on these boards before, that is impressive work.

Perhaps he's going for the record? Just looking now, some threads go back to around 2012/13 so someone could make an eight year Nercro.