Skip to content

[MOD] Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's all fine with your installation. It looks like a message about skipping some content has been erroneously marked as a warning. I'll fix it in the next release.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    Good to hear. Thanks.
    edited July 2020
    deratiseur wrote: »
    I'm up against invincible revenants and trolls. None of the solutions proposed above can kill or remove them.
    For everyone encountering this issue, it is caused by the Spell Revisions component "Dispel Magic Fix" which removes a crucial spell effect, making trolls and revenants unable to die by normal means.

Workarounds: 1) Change installation order and install SR's "Dispel Magic Fix" before Trials of the Luremaster, or 2) don't install that component at all.

Edit: For anyone running into this issue in an existing game, unpack the attached zip archive into the override folder of the game. It replaces the two files responsible for the dying mechanism.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    The druid spell Heavenly Inferno is missing its spell description. @11248 in iwdee.tra. @argent77
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The druid spell Heavenly Inferno is missing its spell description. @11248 in iwdee.tra.
    That's intentional. This spell should not be available to the player. (Btw, you won't find a spell description in IWD:EE either.)

If you have that spell in your spellbook than another mod may have tinkered with the availability.
    edited July 2020
    According to a change-log on SPPR736.spl (Heavenly Inferno) the following mods interact with the spell.
    [WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 24600
    weidu_external/lang/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/iwdee.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/bg2ee.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/extra.tra file not found. Skipping...
    ERROR: No translation provided for @1000000
    Continuing despite error.

Mods affecting SPPR736.SPL:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editionv33.3
    00001: ~A7-TOTLM-BG2EE/SETUP-A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.TP2~ 0 0 // UNDEFINED STRING: @10000002.0
    00002: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)v33.3
    00003: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 8130 // Rebalanced troll regenerationv33.3

It looks like SPPR736.spl is first added by SCS IWD spells, then modified by TotLM BG2EE and then further modified by SCS. It may be that Strategems thinks it is supposed to be a player spell because of the SPPR prefix. @DavidW .

I also ran change-log on Spells.2da but only EET was shown as having modified that table.

Mods affecting SPELLS.2DA:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~EET/EET.TP2~ 0 0 // EET core (resource importation)1.0 RC12
    @Caedwyr What is the actual problem with the spell? Is it available to the player in your game? In that case try a change-log on hidespl.2da . Otherwise the spell appears to be set up as intended.
    The spell is available in game for players. I will check hidespl.2da
    edited July 2020
    Results as follows:
    weidu_external/lang/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/iwdee.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/bg2ee.tra file not found. Skipping...
    %MOD_FOLDER%/languages/english/extra.tra file not found. Skipping...

Mods affecting HIDESPL.2DA:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~EET/EET.TP2~ 0 0 // EET core (resource importation)1.0 RC12
    00001: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editionv33.3
    00002: ~A7-TOTLM-BG2EE/SETUP-A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.TP2~ 0 0 // UNDEFINED STRING: @10000002.0
    00003: ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 13 // Revised Illusionary Clones0.8.52
    00004: ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 16 // Revised Identify spell0.8.52
    00005: ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 53 // Revised MetamagicInnate metamagic, learned from scrolls or character generation0.8.52
    00006: ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 66 // Innate Find Familiar0.8.52
    00007: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)v33.3

Posting this where subtledoctor and DavidW can see as well.

I also looked at all the Hidespl.2da files grabbed by change-log, but none of them ever included SPPR736 (see attached)
    Post edited by Caedwyr on
    A new version is available: Trials of the Luremaster for Baldur's Gate v2.1

This is mainly a bugfix release.

Changelog:
    • Rebalanced Harpy Wail.
    • Reduced number of SPELL.IDS additions.
    • Improved "Rebalance weapons and equipment" subcomponent.
    • Added workaround to deal with compatibility issues caused by mods using Detectable Spells library.
    • Removed unused spell 'Heavenly Inferno'.
    • Fixed invalid resource references in various mod files.
    • Fixed typos in Italian translation.
  • HeawHeaw Member Posts: 1
    Finished the mod, unfortunately, had version 2.0. 2.1 above may be better.
    As much as I'd prefer not to say this, but overall it does not improve basic game. I would not recommend trying it for writing-story-art players. Hack-and-slashers may like it though.

Bad's:
    My personal thing, but any repeatedly same enemies fights must be removed from mod completely. Not more than 5-10 fights per each enemy per mod. Yes, better empty location than filled with 20 same battles with same 1-2 skeletons, which kill you in 1-2 blows. I was on insane difficulty whole mod.
    These fights make whole mod way too long.

While I was playing original game, I enjoyed writing, which required a glance at translator in almost every dialog. Not sure if there was a single glance during this mod.

Good's:
    Greatly enjoyed
    bag of holding
    loot though, because got this journey on 11-12 level.

Neutral's:
    Took this journey way too early and without any preparation. I had no idea that simple dialog will drop into a lot of fights. Team was simply terrible. Got from 11 lvl to 15 lvl just during this mod.

Near end I had not a single chance to win 2 or 3 fights in normal way. But mod definitely prepared all to easy win them in power-gaming style. Specifically, it's location exit-enter,
    full party invisible + single full protected mage firing fireballs and rain in 5th level harpy battle, and final my favorite lure-master battle when my roque just casted all area spells to kill lure-master helpers who gathered around invisible protagonist
    . Final battle appeared to be fun and easy this way.

As far as I can see, BG is not about hacking battles trying to find a tactics with dozen of saveloads. It's more about blind Iron man story experience. Therefore, definitely not mod for first blind game.
    Thank you for the critique. About the overall storyline, this is a port of the official game expansion for Icewind Dale. The original story hasn't been altered by this mod, except for additional interjections from NPCs and some minor surprises (like the petrified thief in Harald's area). The combat is largely the same as well, except for some adaptations to be closer to the BG2 way of fighting. I see this mod as an adventure in a similar style as Watcher's Keep. It's certainly not the ideal mod for beginners.

A party around level 11 is a bit weak if you're unprepared - it's actually the minimal requirement to start the adventure. However, the loot found in the mod areas should quickly improve the situation. For players who place value on balance I would strongly recommend to install the subcomponent "Rebalance weapons and equipment", since the original loot is largely unchanged as well (and quite overpowered).
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Hello, a question about Hobart's starting location in EET. If, during an EET playthrough I encounter Hobart in the Coalition Camp of the SoD portion of the game, and I ignore him (because I don't want to play the mod quite yet), will he also reappear in Imnesvale/Umar Hills? Or am I obligated to play the mod during this portion of SoD?

Thanks! Enjoyed the mod last time, looking forward to playing it again.
    He will appear in any of the listed locations. If you skipped him in SoD then you have a chance to approach him later in the Umar Hills or Amkethran.
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Thank you so much!
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    edited January 2021
    argent77 wrote: »
    The Icewind Dale expansion "Trials of the Luremaster", made available for BG2:EE, Siege of Dragonspear and EET.
    Download: Trials of the Luremaster for Baldur's Gate (latest) (90 MB)

Alternate download: Trials of the Luremaster for Baldur's Gate (latest) (90 MB)

Screenshots

Hi Argent, why do you place ToTL start point at coalition camp, why not place it toward the end of the SOD aka BG sewer where players can then play ToTL at the full unlocked power without affecting the storyline?

From what I understand, the start XP of HOW in IWDEE start at 500K EXP per char, making the end of SOD the perfect entry point for ToTL.
    Hi Argent, why do you place ToTL start point at coalition camp, why not place it toward the end of the SOD aka BG sewer where players can then play ToTL at the full unlocked power without affecting the storyline?

From what I understand, the start XP of HOW in IWDEE start at 500K EXP per char, making the end of SOD the perfect entry point for ToTL.

The Coalition Camp is the central hub of the whole expansion. Imo, it allows you the most freedom to decide when you wish to start the quest.

The sewers would be a strange place for someone who tries to lure many adventurers to a cursed castle. It would also take away a lot of freedom from the player since the sewers can only be visited once at the very end of the expansion. Moreover, the protagonist visits the sewers alone (and possibly with subpar equipment). It would be certain death to start TotLM with a single character at that point.

Btw, you would also miss the opportunity to use all the powerful items you can find during TotLM.
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    edited January 2021
    argent77 wrote: »

The Coalition Camp is the central hub of the whole expansion. Imo, it allows you the most freedom to decide when you wish to start the quest.

The sewers would be a strange place for someone who tries to lure many adventurers to a cursed castle. It would also take away a lot of freedom from the player since the sewers can only be visited once at the very end of the expansion. Moreover, the protagonist visits the sewers alone (and possibly with subpar equipment). It would be certain death to start TotLM with a single character at that point.

Btw, you would also miss the opportunity to use all the powerful items you can find during TotLM.

I agree that sewer is a strange place, there is still Dragonspear Castle for you to include after you defeat Belhifet when you can still retain all ur items and party member just before Imoen dream.

The idea is that should allow SOD character to play without considering SOD balances such as challenges in the final boss (Some of the expansion ruined the difficulty, like HOW and TotSC. SOD and TOB on the other hand was successful expansion because it actually carry over after the final boss, aka Sarevok and Irenicus, and more powerful items can be included without affecting the original final battle)

TOTL itself is hard enough, and have its own challenges even after putting it beyond Belhifet battle.

I feel once it is place AFTER the final battle of belhifet, you can actually give player the option to go into +3 or +4 items even from IWDEE (trust me i did the same transfer before by importing final save from SOD straight into HOW TOTL, It actually create a different kind of fun), yet u can still cap EXP at 1M per character or less.

As for using TOTL items, I feel at this point, it is too OP even for SOD. And nerfing them is equal to not having the opportunity to use the power items found in TOTL.

For BG2EE, however it is perfect for mid-game setting, since Watcher keep (which is considered higher tier than TOTL) can already be access from SOA. Not to mentioned BG2 have alot of +5 and +6 eq which can overpower most of the IWDEE eq.

I can understand your reasoning from a balance standpoint, but giving the player the freedom to choose the time when to start the adventure was more important to me. I might be able to move Hobart to the castle after you return from hell. I'll have to think about it.

Btw, the option to start TotLM in SoD (as well as in ToB) was just a bonus that was added by a later mod version. As you already mentioned, it makes much more sense to start the quest in BG2 - Shadows of Amn campaign as it was originally designed for. At that time the difficulty of the quest as well as XP and items gained during the adventure wouldn't look so much out of place as it does in SoD.
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    I just completed TotLM in SOD with an Undead Hunter CHARNAME, and a near-full NPC mod party of Sirene, Emily, Aura, Vienxay and Neera on Insane difficulty.

When I started TotLM, everyone was already maxed out, less Neera (cos of how late you get her in SOD), so I didn't really have an issue of the XP gain making me "too powerful" for the rest of SOD. Although Neera wasn't maxed out, she was still at full SOD power (level cap).

My roughest fight was actually with the Dire bears, followed by the Jackals. Surprisingly, I had less issues with the Harpies. Before that, my roughest fight was at the Courtyard of the castle, despite taking care to trigger the Spectral Guards in 3 separate encounters.

I refused to use any of the permanent buffing potions/items found, as I was just "trying TotLM out" and intended to seriously do TotLM during BG2EE.

After completing SOD, I wondered how the "nerfed" items would have helped me for the rest of SOD (I started TotLM at the very end of Coalition Camp, just before the parlay, with everything else in Chapter 10 completed).

To be honest, with the exception of having more +3 and better weapons for Belhifet, which I didn't need, since both Paladins were 2H Sword users (Dragon's Blade +3 and World's Edge +3), the original IWD drops wouldn't have made much of a difference for the rest of SOD. Having a couple of "better rings" compared to the standard Ring of Protection +2 would help a little, but wouldn't really change how you have to approach the final Belhifet fight on Insane difficulty.

That said, it would certainly benefit Axe and Blunt Weapon users, who would otherwise have to stick to other +3 weapons, such as Aule Staff +3, Short Sword of Backstabbing +3, Tongue of Acid +3 and the Void weapons.

The only seriously OP item that would be out of place, would probably be the Bracers of Icelandic Pearl, due to ADHW.

Balance for the start of BG2EE wouldn't matter, since you lose everything at the end of SOD anyway.

Hence, I would suggest that the next version of the mod provide the option to allow the full items in SOD, instead of automatically nerfing them.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Shirak wrote: »
    My roughest fight was actually with the Dire bears, followed by the Jackals. Surprisingly, I had less issues with the Harpies. Before that, my roughest fight was at the Courtyard of the castle, despite taking care to trigger the Spectral Guards in 3 separate encounters.
    It sounds like the creatures are balanced correctly now. This is how it's supposed to be. In earlier versions the harpies radiated an aura that was difficult to protect against which made the start of the adventure quite rough.

After completing SOD, I wondered how the "nerfed" items would have helped me for the rest of SOD (I started TotLM at the very end of Coalition Camp, just before the parlay, with everything else in Chapter 10 completed).

To be honest, with the exception of having more +3 and better weapons for Belhifet, which I didn't need, since both Paladins were 2H Sword users (Dragon's Blade +3 and World's Edge +3), the original IWD drops wouldn't have made much of a difference for the rest of SOD. Having a couple of "better rings" compared to the standard Ring of Protection +2 would help a little, but wouldn't really change how you have to approach the final Belhifet fight on Insane difficulty.
    You are right that even in vanilla SoD you are showered with several powerful items. However, this adventure provides a couple of +4 and +5 weapons (and iirc even a +6 weapon), powerful protection rings and some equally powerful high level spells which would seriously unbalance the game. There is always room for improvement though. I might look over the nerfed list of items in the future and see what can be changed.

Balance for the start of BG2EE wouldn't matter, since you lose everything at the end of SOD anyway.
    It depends. Many players install the EE Trilogy which allows you to continue the game all the way to the end and (with a bit of metagaming) keep your equipment. Even some of the vanilla SoD items are quite overpowered for BG2:SoA.

Hence, I would suggest that the next version of the mod provide the option to allow the full items in SOD, instead of automatically nerfing them.
    I'll think about it. Maybe a slight nerf would be more acceptable. I still think that +5 weapons and other equally powerful stuff doesn't belong in that campaign.
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    @argent77 Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. If you consider EET (which I admit I didn't), then there is indeed a balance issue, as IWD items are generally TOB or even TOB+ grade, and are way OP for SOA balance.

Especially how most of the special drops in ToTLM would make both Celestial Fury and Flail of Ages look like toys.

In any case, I'm so happy with this mod, that I'm making a Fighter 13/Swashbuckler with GM in Long Swords for my next playthrough, since that long sword exists anyway......screw the usual 3x APR weapons lol.

Let's hope 2.6 doesn't screw things up too badly for mods!
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Hello, thanks for the mod. I’m playing right now and got stuck midway.
    I got to the dungeon of the keep but couldn’t get past the second level, since the door at the north end won’t open. I looked up this guide, which says that I should have encountered a “Magic Mouth”, which asked for the two skulls that I’d found. But there was no such “Magic Mouth”!
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2021
    Nevermind. I got impatient and just used the console to get to the next area.
    ensbana wrote: »
    Hello, thanks for the mod. I’m playing right now and got stuck midway.
    I got to the dungeon of the keep but couldn’t get past the second level, since the door at the north end won’t open. I looked up this guide, which says that I should have encountered a “Magic Mouth”, which asked for the two skulls that I’d found. But there was no such “Magic Mouth”!
    The "magic mouth" from the mod is handled exactly like the mouth in IWDEE. Difficult to say what could have interfered with the script. The script doesn't trigger if hostile creatures are within sight or if you approach the mouth in an invisible state.

In any case, with this console command it's possible to open the door:
    C:SetGlobal("MAGICMOUTH_DONE","ID9717",1)

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @argent77
    Since you ported this part of IWD2 to EET, what would be involved in porting the rest of IWD 1 and 2 to EET?

Thankee!
    Endarire wrote: »
    Since you ported this part of IWD2 to EET, what would be involved in porting the rest of IWD 1 and 2 to EET?

Much more time and effort than I'm willing to spend. The TotLM part was pretty much separated from the rest of the game, both story-wise as well as resource-wise. But it was still a lot of effort involved. I had to write several helper tools to find the required resources and adapt them to be working with BG2.

HoW and the base IWD game are much more complex. Moreover, the massive amount of game assets required by this process would certainly cause all kinds of copyright issues. You're better off doing it the EET way by converting the game resources on-the-fly from the local IWDEE/IWD2 installation on the user's computer.
  • LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    This mod was a great playthrough. There were a bit too many enemies by BG2 standard (not the same playstyle, I switched to use way more summons).

I think that *by default* the standard for BG2 should be balanced items, and lowered rewards from traps. Then it'd be almost perfect.