Skip to content

BG1 plate armor appearance

Royce1987Royce1987 Member Posts: 89
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I always preferred the look of the plate armors on BG1 more so than 2, is there any way to set up an option to determine your pc's appearance?

Comments

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Do you mean the way it looks on your avatar, or your paper doll, or as an inventory icon?

1PP offers a lot of changes in this area.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    He means the character avatars(sprites) probably. 1pp doesn't cover that. It is the BG1 character animations that determine the look of your armor, 1pp changes shields/helmets, but not armor.

There are several requests to include the BG1 avatars/sprites/animations name it how you will, in the BG:EE data. They will be unused, but since they will exist, we could use them optionally with an editor like shadowkeeper, or something else.

This was the request i made also, i think there are some more, but can't search for them now.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5196/request-please-include-the-bg1-character-animations-in-bgee-data

There was an issue with BG1 character avatars, they would crash the game if you equipped 2 weapons, in the main and off hand. This has been fixed as described in this thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/153/bugfix-game-crashes-when-equipping-off-hand-weapons

Since it was fixed, we could "assume"(?) that the devs plan to include the BG1 sprites in the data. Well, they are like, 40 megabytes? Or something. Some tweaking might be needed to install them albeit unused, but it's not that big of a deal.

We have no official word about this though, only that the BG1 sprites no longer crash the game when dual wielding.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    I understand the problems with implementation but I also sympathize. I really liked how some characters looked in the old BG1 long chainmaile skirt.
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    I agree, since it's BG1:EE then I really hope they try and maintain as much features of the original BG1 as possible. The appearence of a number of armour equipment such as helmets, shields etc have more varieties in BG1 than in BG2 (eg. you can get different coloured shields in BG1 but all are the same in BG2).
    @Icallhimlecobra you should check out Infinity Animations mod for your tutu/bgt playthroughs.

It brings back the bg1 character models and armor.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Not only did I prefer the paperdoll looks of armor, but truth be told, I liked the smoother looks of the icons. Call me crazy >.<
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012
    @Icallhimlecobra

Same thing with female human mage avatars. BG1's look imposing, while BG2's actually look happy with that stupid smile.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
    @Mortianna i guess you're talking about the inventory icons?(paperdolls)

Yeah, i think BG:EE will use BG1 paperdolls anyway, so you're good with that.

But give us the BG1 character models(animations) as well!! I hope we won't get trolled lol :p
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Mornmagor Yeah, that's what I meant. I always get those two confused. Glad to hear they're keeping the original ones.

No troll fears here. I think they're going to do right by us.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Cheesebelly - BG1's inventory icons looked much better than BG2's ... and the same is all the truer with paperdolls and avatars. No comparison, really.

Also: Mirroring is lame and looks half-assed.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    When mirroring is added up with Mirror Images, Mislead, Project Image and blur... You end up creating a time paradox!

Or simply a tricky illusion - probably both XD

*has no idea why he wrote this just now*
    edited October 2012
    Mirroring of sprites is the bane of all humanity indeed, i agree :p

@AndreaColombo, if i'm not mistaken, in order to get BG1 char looks, we need more animation slots first, right? From then on, it's easy as pie.

I'm sure Scott Brooks will figure out something, or maybe he has already.
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    Whenever I see the Ankheg armour icon, it always reminds me of a turtle-shell. Somehow reminds me of Mario...