Skip to content

Installed SoD and now BG:EE won't even run

I am at the end of BG:EE and decided to have SoD installed before I beat the game. Downloaded SoD and installed it, now BG nor SoD will run? I have mods on my BG:EE, does that have something to do with it? I really wanna finish my game

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Installing SoD in the middle of a run doesn't work for modded games. If you downloaded the expansion from Steam or GOG you have to prepare the game for modding (using DLC Merger) before installing any mods because the DLC comes as a self-contained archive that can't be modded directly.

I'd suggest to disable or uninstall the SoD DLC temporarily until you finished your current game. However, in the worst case the client has already "fixed" your installation when SoD was installed and removed any mod content. In that case you can only try to replicate your exact mod installation (both mod components and installation order must match perfectly; use the content of the WeiDU.log as a pointer). But even then your chances for a working game aren't very high.
    JuliusBorisov
  • EffortlessdepthsEffortlessdepths Member Posts: 7
    Thanks I appreciate that. I'm going to finish BG1 then move on to SoD. Any suggestions for doing that smoothly? Do I really need mods for SoD? Is it very long?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I think SoD is fine as it is. There aren't that many mods specifically for SoD anyway. You can certainly install some tweak mods (such as Tweaks Anthology) if you prefer more convenience features.

The expansion is very linear, but contains a number of interesting side quests. I'd say it's maybe 30 or 40 hours long.

For the transition to a differently modded game setup it's probably best to start a new SoD game and import the main character from the final BGEE save at character creation.
    Grond0Effortlessdepths
  • EffortlessdepthsEffortlessdepths Member Posts: 7
    Ok that sounds good. Just a few more questions if that's ok. I installed the BG1EE mods last year and don't even remember how I did it. Can I just uninstall BG1EE, then reinstall it, then reinstall SoD, to get everything running and unmodded? Also, I plan on starting a new charname for SoD to carry over to BG2EE, didn't like the one I played in BG1EE. Will EEKeeper work for SoD?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I assume from your other post you have now uninstalled and reinstalled - and yes, that should allow you to play SoD. Also yes, EEKeeper will work for that in the same way as for BGEE.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    I have the exact same problem. I posted a thread but it was apparently deleted (I don't know why)...

BGEE (Steam version) will not longer launch after installing SOD. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, verified game files, etc etc.... I have no idea what to do....
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2020
    @tl1942 Your thread was caught in the spam filter. You shouldn't have any problems with that going forward.