Skip to content

WeiDU Clarification

ArcnNKDArcnNKD Member Posts: 28
Hey everyone. So, I've been dipping my toes into actually using WeiDU and for the most part, the syntax and coding for everything is pretty understandable. There is one section, however, that I cannot find any clarity on and it's kind of aggravating me.

I am working on revamping an existing Kit - and I get how to edit and replace all the associated .2da and .spl files and everything what I want to know is, what command allows me to rewrite existing dialog.tlk scripts? I get that the SAY command automatically adds new pieces to the dialog file and then fills in the text for them, but I can't find any documentation on how to use that command for replacing the text on an existing one.

Would I use SAY # instead, ie. to edit the description of the kit to match the new abilities and everything?. Thanks for any help you can provide.

WeiDU is powerful, but not exactly newbie/user-friendly XD

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    For Enhanced Editions (and I think also for normal versions too but I haven't touched those in years), KITLIST.2da contains a bunch of fields. You can look up the associated strings of the kit you're modifying by querying that table. The strref labeled "LOWER" describes the all lower case name of the kit (e.g. "berserker"), "MIXED" refers to the title case version of the name (e.g. "Berserker") and "HELP" refers to the full kit description.
  • ArcnNKDArcnNKD Member Posts: 28
    Aquadrizzt wrote: »
    For Enhanced Editions (and I think also for normal versions too but I haven't touched those in years), KITLIST.2da contains a bunch of fields. You can look up the associated strings of the kit you're modifying by querying that table. The strref labeled "LOWER" describes the all lower case name of the kit (e.g. "berserker"), "MIXED" refers to the title case version of the name (e.g. "Berserker") and "HELP" refers to the full kit description.

Thank you for the response; but I am aware which sections of the 2da are linked to the dialog.tlk scripts - the issue I am having is rewriting those scripts on the fly so I can edit this kit as a mod instead of just personally editing the files for my own game (otherwise, I'd just use NearInfinity to do so. It makes editing existing dialog scripts easy lol).

Basically, what I'm trying to do is - change one of the existing kits; then have my WeiDU installer/t2p file rewrite the descriptions of that kit to match the changes I have made. Instead of making a new script entry like the SAY command does. (because then I'd have to copy the dialog.tlk file which would overwrite any existing mods someone may have installed that added new lines of text.)

Essentially: Beast Master Ranger kit uses dialog #25212 for its description. I am reworking that entire kit, so I want to update #25212 when the mod is installed to reflect my changes and not make a new dialog # for it to direct to.

Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to tell me. In that case, I apologize. =)
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    SAY is for patching files, you want to use STRING_SET.
    STRING_SET 25212 ~new_string~

ArcnNKD wrote: »
    Instead of making a new script entry like the SAY command does. (because then I'd have to copy the dialog.tlk file which would overwrite any existing mods someone may have installed that added new lines of text.)
    Part of Weidu's design is that mods never need to copy or use their own dialog.tlk.
    ArcnNKD
  • ArcnNKDArcnNKD Member Posts: 28
    kjeron wrote: »
    SAY is for patching files, you want to use STRING_SET.
    STRING_SET 25212 ~new_string~

ArcnNKD wrote: »
    Instead of making a new script entry like the SAY command does. (because then I'd have to copy the dialog.tlk file which would overwrite any existing mods someone may have installed that added new lines of text.)
    Part of Weidu's design is that mods never need to copy or use their own dialog.tlk.

Ugh, thank you so much. I don't know why I couldn't find the STRING_SET command when I looked through the documentation.