Skip to content

Could someone teach an old dog some new tricks? Returning player, first run going to BG2

Hello all!

So to make a long story short, I played a LOT of Baldur's gate when it first game out, spent months trying out nearly every race/class/alignment combination I could think of at the time. Yet for all that, I never played the expansions, never picked up Baldur's gate 2, nothing. I recently picked up a an enhanced edition package, 1 +2, siege, etc, and to be honest I'm a little intimidated getting back into it. Making a character for BG 1 used to be easy for me, but there are new kits I've never seen, not to mention I have no idea how things are going to hold up in BG 2, and I'm trying to party plan, and plan future romance options based on my starting race/gender.... and I'm over thinking things. I try to do research to take some of the uncertainty out of it, and one guide will say 'X is a good option' and then the next guide will trash it. I don't need to min/max to break the game, I'm just trying to not shoot myself in the foot. I don't even know how the transfer from 1 to 2 works yet, and I'm over thinking my party for BG2 before starting BG1, and that just hurts my head lol.

I could use a hand, if possible. Hopefully someone who could keep things simple. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I think you've already answered your own question - don't overthink it. The new kits, romance options etc. are just icing on the cake, so you can keep it simple for your first run through BG2 and go with the flow.
    Feel free to make mistakes in character creation, learn from them and do 'better' next time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Any class, race, kit is viable for the whole series. Having a balanced party helps, but isn't strictly necessary. Just go with what sounds like fun.
  • odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
    Well, I'm trying out a female elf ranger/archer. I remember bow's kicking butt, so I'm going to give it a go, see what happens. I put two pip's into short bows, and two into long bow's, as who needs melee? I'm sure that will be....fine....

One question I'm already run into.... not sure if anyone here has the switch version of this, but having trouble with the interface. Notably, I'm trying to bash a lock, or knock out a noble say to bash a lock (innocent whistle) I go to the command, select it, but then the game defaults to talk to the NPC or pick lock, and not the action I'm selecting. Still trying, but frustrating so far lol.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Who needs melee? Well, ranged attacks have -8 to hit against targets in melee range, and melee attacks against someone holding a ranged weapon get +4 to hit and +4 to damage. Keep a switch with a melee weapon equipped, even if you're not proficient. If nothing else, it'll save you a lot of pain when the enemies do close on you. And hey, elves get +1 to hit with short swords and long swords. That's like half a proficiency, right?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    odessa333 wrote: »
    Well, I'm trying out a female elf ranger/archer. I remember bow's kicking butt, so I'm going to give it a go, see what happens. I put two pip's into short bows, and two into long bow's, as who needs melee? I'm sure that will be....fine....

One question I'm already run into.... not sure if anyone here has the switch version of this, but having trouble with the interface. Notably, I'm trying to bash a lock, or knock out a noble say to bash a lock (innocent whistle) I go to the command, select it, but then the game defaults to talk to the NPC or pick lock, and not the action I'm selecting. Still trying, but frustrating so far lol.

I don't have the switch version, but in the standard game bashing a lock or attacking a neutral is done by force attacking. That means you have the weapon you want selected (such as fists if you want to knock someone unconscious) and then select it again to override the standard behavior (of talking to, not attacking, neutrals).
    So not sure if anyone here will know, but what officially transfers from BGEE > SoD > BG 2 EE > TOB? (I'm on a switch version so I can't mod things). One thing I read said items did, but now I'm reading they don't. And if nothing transfers from BG 1 EE, couldn't I just skip it ( I know that one really well) and go right to SOD or whatever?

I know these are probably super newbie questions, but I am making huge mistake after huge mistake this run, apparently lol.
    Going into SoD is a continuation. All of your gear goes with you. Party members less so; there are points at which recruited NPCs leave and new ones can be brought in. Also, your gold is "lost" a short way in. I don't have it myself, so I can't really say in detail.

Going into BG2 is a clean slate; all gear removed. You get a few bits back, but mostly you just find new stuff.

Going into ToB is a continuation. You keep everything, including party members and gold. After the prologue, you have the opportunity to recruit any of BG2's NPCs, plus one new one.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Yes, on your SECOND play through, you might find yourself going around to every vendor you hocked gems to and loading up.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    To build on jmerry's point- going into SoD, items not on your main character may be lost early on, so be judicious about that. For BG2, there are several items that show up by default (as if you'd had them in BG1), and several others that will sub in for those if you have them and import instead. There are also some SoD items that can be imported as well. Also, the tomes in BG1 only exist in BG1.

If you want a list, those are available- it's just a question of whether or not you want specific spoilers.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    One tip on the EE's is that off-hand usage got a little stronger. You can now have a two-handed weapon in a weapon slot while something occupies the off-hand. Not at the same time, but for swapping. This makes sword and shield, but especially two-weapon builds much stronger.

You can do stuff like have Khalid use a longbow and a shield + longsword without tedious weapon switching in the inventory. Or have Kivan dual wield longswords and a longbow. Your own archer can have a shield setup for when you need to be defensive. This becomes much more relevant in BG2, where two-weapon wielding becomes quite strong for a number of your characters.

Just something to keep in mind as you plan out your party and weapon proficiencies.

Yea, it's a good thing I started with BG EE, as even remembering this one, I am still making a LOT of mistakes early on. I can't ever remember dying as much as I am this run, as it took me half a dozen times to clear the first mines. Super embarrassing. I totally didn't know/remember the whole 'don't fire in melee' thing, as I'm sure that did NOT help me.

I also cannot decide on a party. I like too many characters, trying to fit 10 people on a six party limit. Not planning ahead led me to recruiting some people at bad timing, so while my Archer and Ajantis were level 3 in the mines, neera was only level 1 with 4 hit points. That was rough. I currently have them, Imoen, Jaheira, and Khalid was an acceptable death in the mine. I'm going to leave the spot open for a bit to try level. Maybe do some quests for Minsc, Rasheed, try Dorn (not likely), Coran, etc. Not sure who I'll end with yet. Too many I like, like I said.

And @masteraleph if there's a list somewhere of what to look for in transfer stuff, I'll take it, spoilers and all. I've beat the EE a dozen times, just not recently lol. From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like much of BG EE goes to BG 2 EE, so it doesn't sound like it's worth doing the 'full run' every time, which I think is good? I'll do it this time to refresh myself, but not having to rush the first game to get the 'new' stuff isn't a bad thing in my book.

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    One piece of advice for BG1, for exploring is to focus on having one really really good tank. Load that character up with as much defensive gear as you can -- Ankheg plate, a +1 shield, a +1 ring of protection, etc. Consider even going with sword and shield style proficiency on level up, even though it will cost damage output. Kagain is the best. Khalid is good too, Ajantis can work with bastard sword + shield. Even Branwen isn't bad at this.

And then have that character take point and draw all the enemies' fire. And have pretty much all your other characters use ranged weapons. That's going to be your best basic tactic for clearing out the wilderness areas in the early game.

Another alternative, or just addition, is to use your archer or Kivan or Minsc as a scout, make heavy use of the stealth skill, and thus be prepared for 90% of the fights. Literally hiding in shadows will increase your odds of successful stealth.
    A list of what can be transferred to BG2EE ... here.
    odessa333 wrote: »
    I also cannot decide on a party. I like too many characters, trying to fit 10 people on a six party limit. Not planning ahead led me to recruiting some people at bad timing, so while my Archer and Ajantis were level 3 in the mines, neera was only level 1 with 4 hit points. That was rough. I currently have them, Imoen, Jaheira, and Khalid was an acceptable death in the mine. I'm going to leave the spot open for a bit to try level. Maybe do some quests for Minsc, Rasheed, try Dorn (not likely), Coran, etc. Not sure who I'll end with yet. Too many I like, like I said.

Although it is too late for your party, I recommend NOT going immediately to the Nashkel mines at the beginning. Sure, it's tempting, but at every low levels, that many kobolds at once are harsh. Even my level 5 paladins (Isra and Sirene) were getting pummeled - though, with +2 weapons (Varscona and Spider Bane), they cut through them quickly.

As for mages, well, they have a very difficult power curve. If you can keep them through the first 5 or 6 levels, where they have incredibly few HP, they become the most powerful class in the game. In the beginning, however, they are a total joke. Reserve their *1* spell for Armor. When they get a second spell? Armor.

In my current run, Imoen had just dualed to a mage at level 6 thief, so while she didn't have squat for HP, she only had 2 spells by the time the party reached the mines again. I resorted to having Aura cast invisibility on her and using her as a scout in the mines. No thief skills meant she couldn't handle the traps, but, she had the HP to survive them. During the final battle, I kept her invisible the whole time.

Lastly, if you don't mind a few mods, there is a tweak that makes paired NPCs separable. I left Khalid in Tenya's house to "look after her". RP-wise, it felt a lot better than letting him get killed in battle for my good aligned party.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    I somewhat disagree about low level mages. I like to memorize Sleep as much as possible. Early on, it is an awesome crowd control spell. Keeping the mage alive is not that hard most of the time, if you let them follow the rest of the group at a little distance. Ambushes are deadly, but the Nashkel mines can be pretty safe for the mage.
    If I only had one mage, then yes, sleep is incredibly useful. Fortunately, I have two - Aura and Imoen. Aura takes care of crowd control while Imoen is safely tucked away.

To be honest, though, it is mildly annoying, and one of the reasons I usually don't dual Imoen.