Skip to content

Intended or bug? Aec'Letec can still kill with death gaze, even on story mode

Found this out today. After getting killed by his death gaze too many times to count, I put it on story mode to just get past the creature, and death gaze is still lethal on story mode. I eventually made it through, but thought this should be pointed out. I've not explored story mode much mind you, so not sure how literal the 'in combat' wording is, if traps/poison can still kill, for example, so this may very well be intended for the powerful boss.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its probably an oversight.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It's manner of death normally bypasses anti-death protections, so it's no surprise it wasn't automatically blocked by Story Mode's generic protections.
    It is however a notorious behavior of the ability, so I am surprised it's not explicitly blocked by Story Mode, as some other spells are.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited September 2020
    I actually forgot about the ghast thing, which means my party got lucky last night. Apparently he only does this when there aren't fighters in his face, though. As long as you keep someone, or something, in close combat with him, he doesn't use it.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Maurvir wrote: »
    I actually forgot about the ghast thing, which means my party got lucky last night. Apparently he only does this when there aren't fighters in his face, though. As long as you keep someone, or something, in close combat with him, he doesn't use it.
    You play with SCS, right? If you're using the relevant tactical challenge component (improved demon cult) and haven't updated to the latest mod version (33.4), there's a bug that renders Aec'Letec incapable of using his death gaze at all. He's meant to use it on somebody every time he casts one of his other spells (Silence, Hold Person, Vampiric Touch), but doesn't due to an undefined variable.
    ThacoBell
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited September 2020
    Oh, he got off at least three gaze attacks in the first attempt. I had Sirene dispel magic on the first two, but that was all the dispelling power she had for that fight. I had just forgotten about the actual death gaze bit, since I was a lot more concerned about the "held" bit. Jaheira was getting pounded like a cheap steak, and likely to have been killed outright long before the dying debuff would have kicked in.

The problem with the last attack was that everyone was lined up on the stairs, and with Jaheira held, and everyone else in rough shape, it was essentially game over. I reloaded before she would have turned into a ghast.

In the second attempt, I think he attempted a gaze attack on Aura, who has special goggles that make her immune, but for the rest of the battle, there were at least two fighters in his face at all times. I didn't think to check the log, but I don't recall him attempting a gaze attack after that first one.

So, no, it really was a matter of luck.