Skip to content

Henchmen still not attacking monsters in HotU...

I'm a little disappointed this hasn't been fixed already. I was really expecting this to be spot on when the official release of the game came about.

I'm on the Maker's Island. The companions I'm with are Nathyrra and Valen Shadowbreath.

Nathyrra stands around casting magic like a buffoon, then just stands there. I'm attacking two golems in the dungeon, and Valen is just standing around in an attack stance not doing anything.

This is annoying because I'm a spellcaster class, and I can't defeat anything. I actually took a hiatus from this game because of this very issue. It's really upsetting that there's still problems in this area. Graphical improvements are fine, and they look really cool.

But what about the stuff that doesn't work?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    With Full Party Control that would never happen.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Raduziel said:

You can't directly control henchmen, which is a shame.
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    There's a mod that's supposed to fix this bug:- https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/my-henchman-stops-fighting-bugfix (I've not tested if it works, perhaps you can report if it does?)
    jglvz256 said:

There's a mod that's supposed to fix this bug:- https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/my-henchman-stops-fighting-bugfix (I've not tested if it works, perhaps you can report if it does?)

I've actually tried this one before. The time I tried it, I actually couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'll install it and try it again.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    Raduziel said:

I get what you mean, but while I'm not for or against the addition of FPC, this isn't technically correct. All FPC would let you do is manually try to fix the character yourself, which I think everybody would welcome during the times it happens. But, unless the underlying bug is fixed, the character is likely going to simply bug out again and force you to control them once again, which isn't good for people like me who build a specific character they want to play as and, therefor, want to play them. If I'm sucked away from them literally all the time, as it is in NWN2, why don't I just skip building my character and play one of the many henchmen instead? If you ask who thinks that way, I do from experience with NWN2. I love the game's OC and its characters to death, but being forced to control my henchmen due to bugs, bad pathfinding, and even just to survive was one of the biggest turnoffs the game gave me, and its why I can't struggle through the other three campaigns the game comes with. Granted, I grew up with NWN1 rather than Baldur's Gate, so my perspective is definitely skewed away from FPC.

I know that was an argument against adding FPC after I said I'm not against its addition, but this isn't a great reason to call for FPC.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    V-W-E
    Henchmen attack
    I know this isn't what you're asking about, but did you try using this keystroke sequence to get them to attack?

-JFK
    JFK said:

V-W-E
    Henchmen attack
    I know this isn't what you're asking about, but did you try using this keystroke sequence to get them to attack?

-JFK

Oh wow, I never knew there were keyboard shortcuts. Are they effectively the same as right-clicking, then pressing "attack nearest?"
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I think they are, but much, much faster. And you can repeat them in a flash to make sure.

-JFK
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2020
    I recently replayed HotU and in Cania I had Aribeth in tow. I noticed that sometimes she wold hang back and not attack even when ordered to attack. I was playing with the most recent patches, sometimes even with the most recent preview build. Problem was definitely there even in the most recent preview.

Not too big a deal, I was able to win anyway, at first I thought it might be a new bug but then found this thread. I don't have a saved game to send in though.

In fact, later, in the final battle when she was supposed to attack me or my BBoD sometimes she just quit and hang back for the rest of the battle. I can remember seeing the same odd behavior ages ago from Desther in the OC - I had lured him out into a hallway in Helm's Hold filled with traps and after springing a bunch he suddenly stopped - he stayed hostile but just stopped chasing me and didn't attack anymore.

I assume this issue is known of already so I won't submit a bug report but maybe this note can somehow help.

PS: perhaps move this thread to tech support. and no i didn't try the patch hak referenced above by @jglvz256 .
    Post edited by Calgacus on
  • SheilaD67SheilaD67 Member Posts: 5
    Neither the patch nor keystrokes seem to work. It's getting to the point where game is unplayable without my henchmen. I've been having to God Mode so that I can get through the fights without need of henchmen. That's not a heck of a lot of fun.
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 181
    This sounds like it could be related to a problem I ran across while replaying the OC in EE.

I was fighting Gulnan (the yuan-ti) and Tomi got killed, so after the battle I went back to the temple only to find he wasn't there. I explored and used debug mode to discover that he was still in the chamber where I killed Gulnan. When I went to find him, I eventually discovered him standing against one wall and in fighting stance, as though he was trying to run right through the wall to attack something. He wouldn't respond to any attempts to talk and would not respond to any commands, including DM-mode commands which should have forced him to jump to another area.

After trying everything else, I eventually used DM kill, hoping that he'd respawn but he didn't. I had to reload my last save (fortunately, not all that far back) to get him back.