Skip to content

Nearinfinity question regarding the Power variable, offset?, in .EFF files.

Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
What exactly does it do? Does anybody know? The purpose, or use of the Power variable. Like if it's set to 1 or 3, it does "this", or "that."

I use sites like the the one below but it's either not there, the info, or I just can't find it. Does anybody know?

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/eff_v2.htm

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It serves the same function as it does in V1 effects, though it is often not necessary to specify.

The level of a spell itself is mainly confined to mechanics dealing with the Spellbook (learning, memorization, sequencer/contingencies, etc...).
    The power field of each effect instead determines how that effect interacts with other spell mechanics based on spell level, such as reflection (Spell Turning), deflection (Spell Deflection), absorption (Spell Trap), removal (Spell Thrust), and level-based immunity (Globe of Invulnerability, Liches, Rakshasa).

Generally, the power field should match the level of the spell, though there are exceptions for spells which should bypass the above (such as Dispel Magic), which instead leave the power at zero.
    All effects of non-magical abilities should have zero power as well.

v2 EFF files only require setting the power field if they are being applied by opcodes 248, 249, or 272.
    v2 EFF files attached through opcodes 177, 183, and 283 will inherit the power field from that effect, allowing the same EFF file to be used by different spells with different power levels.
    Kookies4Laif
  • Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, that helps clear things up a bit. Did notice it had a range of 1-9, IIRC. Was thinking it was something only certain spell effects make use of.

I'm guessing it's something I can safely ignore unless opcodes allude to it, or are the ones you mentioned.

Thanks again, much appreciated. Want to learn some NI before I move on to Weidu, I'm scared of it.
  • Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
    Bumping this to ask if anybody has a good way to figure out magical item pricing.

Thanks in advance.