Skip to content

Spells causing weird dialogue strings to appear

I'm not sure if this the right forum for this or not, but having an issue with a few spells in the game. Haven't played through since I was 14 or so in 1999 so I have no idea if this is normal behavior or not but I suspect it might be a modding issue.

I'm running SCS, Spell Revisions, Rogue Re-balancing, and the BG1NPC Project.

I've had an issue with two spells (as of now) causing weird dialogue strings to pop up instead of giving any indication of saving throw results or success/failure. This has happened so far with the spells "Ray of Enfeeblement" and "Sleep". The spells do still work - I've test Ray of Enfeeblement on my own party members and even after the dialogue string appears it will cause a enfeebled status to appear on the character screen. It's frustrating mostly because I'm not sure if it's successful against an enemy unless I can visually observe slower movement, etc.

Any idea what could be causing this? I did initially install NPC Customization through SCS and then went back and uninstalled after realizing I didn't want to deal with it after not having played for so long. Hoping that didn't mess up any files.

Here's an example:

c7lk6soyu9jv.png

Anyway, thanks for any help/input with this from a person who's really enjoying playing this again after so many years.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Basically, all of that game text runs on string references; the spell's data has some numbers in it that point to the string that describes what it does. Those strings are stored in one big file.

So, what happened? Something in your mod setup messed up that file - presumably an error in installation, because these mods are all well-supported and generally stable. Now those numbers are pointing to the wrong strings.

What to do? Clean out everything and reinstall. This will likely include replacing the game files with clean copies to start the mod process anew. And you might have to discard any in-progress games, because they include copies of some things in the save files.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Thanks. Bit of a bummer as I would prefer not to start over at this point. As the spells still work technically, I may just play on and hope that it doesn't become a problem with too many more and really screw up the end game for me. I guess I can test the save game in an alternate clean (modded) install somehow.

My mod install order was:
    ModMerge
    BG1NPC
    Spell Rev
    RR
    SCS

Would you suggest a different order? If not, I can only presume it's because I went back and ran the SCS setup again to remove the NPC customization component that created the issue (but I have very little experience with these things).

FWIW, really enjoying the challenge SCS brings to the game here too. I remember as a teen basically just point-and-clicking my way through this. Here, just getting through those juiced up Kobolds in the mines took me a few reloads (and major tactical adjustments!) and barely alive and in need of two nights rest to heal before entering the final encounter area.

Update:

Went ahead and uninstalled/reinstalled everything (after a botched attempt at doing a separate installation ended up overwriting everything anyway - I've becoming frighteningly computer illiterate the last few years).

Saved games still worked and same issue. Started new game and use EEKeeper to give new character couple of RoE spells to fire off in Candlekeep - same issue. Only good thing is that it looks like the dialogue string only happens on the result of a failed save (so if I see it I know the spell worked). If the enemy saves it results in a "Save vs. Spell..." string. Sleep works the opposite (save results in a dialogue string where failed save results in them properly going to sleep. So at the very least, I can continue my campaign and hope some other more serious issue doesn't pop up.

It must be the install order then? Here's my Weidu log if that can shed any light on it: (sorry I don't know how to embed this in a list)

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DLCMERGER/SETUP-DLCMERGER.TP2~ #0 #1 // Merge DLC into game -> "Siege of Dragonspear" DLC: 1.2
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #40 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #50 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #60 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #70 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 1 hour real time (standard) minimum between LoveTalks: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #80 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #110 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak -> Banter Timing: Normal (about 27 minutes between banter dialogs): v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #120 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #131 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> Sarevok's Diary Date Changes only: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #150 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #155 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Coran his "Murder in Baldur's Gate" portrait: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #160 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v24.9
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v24.9
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Spell Revisions: v4 Beta 18
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #10 // Deva and Planetar Animations: v4 Beta 18
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #20 // Mirror Image Fix: v4 Beta 18
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #30 // Dispel Magic Fix: v4 Beta 18
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #60 // Update Spellbooks of Joinable NPCs: v4 Beta 18
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #1 // Thief kit revisions: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #3 // Proper racial adjustments for thieving skills: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #4 // Bard kit revisions: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #6 // Proper spell progression for Bards: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #7 // Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #9 // Revised Thievery -> Use PnP thievery potions and prevent their effects from stacking: v4.92
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #999 // BG2-style icons for RR content: v4.92
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Replace +1 arrows and other projectiles with nonmagical "fine" ones: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3022 // Replace many +1 magic weapons with nonmagical "fine" ones -> Fine weapons are affected by the iron crisis: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3041 // Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores -> Stores sell a maximum of 5 Arrows of Dispelling: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3505 // Wider selection of random scrolls: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3580 // Restoration and Lesser Restoration spells heal ability-score damage: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4051 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4146 // Skip the Candlekeep tutorial sections -> Skip Candlekeep altogether (warning: breaks the 4th wall!): v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4250 // Make spell sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5080 // Improved textscreens in Tales of the Sword Coast: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly smarter carrion crawlers: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Improved kobolds: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity assassins: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v33.4
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v33.4
    Post edited by HAL9000 on