Skip to content

Sorcerers; Which 3 level 9 spells do you choose?

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
edited October 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
im finally hitting the levels where i get level 9 spells but im kind of caught up in a conundrum on which ones i want to take;

bigby's crushing hand; i actually like this spell and i have both spell focus evocation feats so the DC should be quite high

black blade of disaster; looks amazing especially when my CHA will hit 38 at level 20, so it will hit as a +14 weapon and is basically indestructable

timestop; for obvious reasons, but is it as good as it looks? in that 9 seconds i can blast off about 3 maybe 4 spells? so i guess its pretty good

mordenkainen's disjunction; looks good at first, but i rarely if ever needed to dispel someone else's effects and even though it can lower SR by 10 ( which is nice ) greater spell breach already lowers it by 5, and with epic spell pen, even at level 20 if i roll a 1 i will be able to break through any SR

what picks do you guys usually do?

so far by the looks of it i will probably go; time stop, bigby's crushing hand, black blade of disaster ( for those blasted golems )
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Bigby spells are always good. Black Blade of Disaster is a nice choice, and also my favorite name for any spell.

Time Stop has its uses but, depending on what module or campaign you are playing, has its drawbacks. Big M and his last guardian are immune to it, IIRC.

I often fill my lvl 9 slots with metamagic spells, myself.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    I'm nearly 2 months late but when i did play Sorcerer's.
    Evocation + Necromancy.
    Wail of the Banshee, This is only good if you invest into Necromancy Spell Focus for higher DC.
    Meteor Swarm, Not as important if you have many other nuking spells but it doesn't hit the caster in NWN so that helps.
    Mordenkainen Disjunction but if i had access to the 2 Spell Breach Lvl 4 & 6 than something else.

It seems like you've gone for Melee focused so the BBD sounds right.

I did use to get Time Stop but it's pretty cheesy and removes my enjoyment when i use it too much so i try to just keep 1 or 2 scrolls for emergency run aways..i mean tactical retreat.

Sometimes i just can't settle on a spell selection which is why i started playing Wizard's, but the extra spells per day for the Sorcerer is very nice.

For Wizard i go Conjuration instead of Evocation.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i almost forgot i even made this discussion hahaha

and then i kind of abandoned the run for a month or so

although i played it a little bit a week or two ago and i think i chose timestop and maybe disjunction? almost any level 9 damaging spell is pointless when empowered delay blast fireball deals more damage
    My interest in NWN is almost dead... :'(
    I know there's alot of community content, i did go through some of it years ago but I'm too lazy now a days to find something I'd like.

Yeah certain Empowered spells are fantastic, i like Mestil's Acid Breath for a Conj + Necro Wizard.

In NWN2 you can take 3 Lvls of Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep to get Improved Empower so your spells only take up 1 slot higher instead of 2, you can empower you entire offensive line up which is crazy...Empowered Sunburst or Horrid Wilting >:) .
    in NWN 2 when i used to make wizerds; i would do wizard 5, red wizard 10 and then take scholar for those last levels, holy jumpins does that wizerd wreck shop

but then i stopped doing that and started using the warlock instead hahaha
    Oh yeah that is totally OP, DC of those spells are 40+ in some cases.

The Warlock is fun but it was a shame you could only go Lower Planes Pact Warlock, I would've liked to try out the other Pacts.

I ended up going for Drow, 5 Wizard, 1 Fighter or Swashbuckler, 1 Eldritch Knight, 3 Arcane Scholar.
    Mithril Breastplate enchanted.
    Immunity to Critical & Sneak.
    And I play with a mod that adds more recipes like Reduce Arcane Spell Failure on Armour.

And you can put enchantments onto items instead of creating a whole new one, like instead of making a headband of intellect you can put +4 onto a helm that doesn't already have 3 enchantments.

Probably not the strongest build but it was fun.
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    Oh yeah that is totally OP, DC of those spells are 40+ in some cases.

The Warlock is fun but it was a shame you could only go Lower Planes Pact Warlock, I would've liked to try out the other Pacts.

I ended up going for Drow, 5 Wizard, 1 Fighter or Swashbuckler, 1 Eldritch Knight, 3 Arcane Scholar.
    Mithril Breastplate enchanted.
    Immunity to Critical & Sneak.
    And I play with a mod that adds more recipes like Reduce Arcane Spell Failure on Armour.

And you can put enchantments onto items instead of creating a whole new one, like instead of making a headband of intellect you can put +4 onto a helm that doesn't already have 3 enchantments.

Probably not the strongest build but it was fun.

thats the thing when we play these games a bajillion times, its not about making the strongest builds, but builds that are more fun to play, hence the reason why i shifted over to warlocks instead of mages in NWN 2, although if i do play NWN 2 i only play the SoZ expansion, the main OC just feels to slow, and im not a fan of the mechanics in MotB, for whatever weird reason SoZ just hits that sweetspot for me
    Hmm I've only played through SOZ once, maybe I should try it again.
    Maybe I should play a Druid/Monk shifter with Warlock, Dwarf Tank, Archer, Shaman maybe...
    edited December 2020
    SOZ is great. I do weird things in it like creating parties of all archery-using rangers, or barbarians who forsake weapons in favor of beating people with their fists. All invisible blades was interesting, to say the least. It has one of the better dialogue systems of any create-a-party RPGs as well, where any of your companions can interject at any point in the conversation. That should be standard nowadays.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    SOZ is great. I do weird things in it like creating parties of all archery-using rangers, or barbarians who forsake weapons in favor of beating people with their fists. All invisible blades was interesting, to say the least. It has one of the better dialogue systems of any create-a-party RPGs as well, where any of your companions can interject at any point in the conversation. That should be standard nowadays.

Definitely agreed on that dialogue system that allows interjection by other party members other than the conversation initiator, yep. One other nice bit is that the various henchmen all actually have unique dialogue at certain points of the game. It's a shame that you're just restricted to 2.
    Zaxares wrote: »

Definitely agreed on that dialogue system that allows interjection by other party members other than the conversation initiator, yep. One other nice bit is that the various henchmen all actually have unique dialogue at certain points of the game. It's a shame that you're just restricted to 2.

if you mess around with the campaign settings using the toolset you can have them all join, i've made a team where i had 12 team members, that was most interesting, take about a party
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    when my CHA will hit 38 at level 20,

Sorry for I'm not answering your question, my character isn't able to learn lv. 9 spells yet.

However, I have a question. Your Sorcerer's CHA is now 38 and your only lv. 20?

How did you do it? My NWN EE character is a lv. 11 Wizard, and it's only INT 20...

I assume it will be INT 23 when it's lv. 20?

You're talking about NWN EE, right? Or are you talking about NWN 2?
    actually i think my CHA hit only 35 or 36, CHA is a lot easier to get higher than INT since a lot of the companion items fully upgraded give CHA boosts
    actually i think my CHA hit only 35 or 36, CHA is a lot easier to get higher than INT since a lot of the companion items fully upgraded give CHA boosts

Still pretty crazy. I never have any stat go that high unless I am specifically maximizing for the Dragon Companion + Dragon Shape + Dragon Summon Spell druid. What was your build?
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22

Oh I see. There are items that boost your stat.

Thank you for the information. Maybe I should look for items that boost my INT. Thank you!
    right now my sorcerer is level 19 with 34 CHA, which means at level 20 she will hit 35

i believe i started with 18 CHA

and then i am only wearing 3 CHA items, since some of them dont stack so i took off the rings i was wearing;

the belt of the performer +5 ( given for finishing the bard companion's quest )
    cloak of charisma +5
    the mask of persuasion

the rings dont stack with... either the belt of cloak, or else i would have even more
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    im finally hitting the levels where i get level 9 spells but im kind of caught up in a conundrum on which ones i want to take;

bigby's crushing hand; i actually like this spell and i have both spell focus evocation feats so the DC should be quite high

black blade of disaster; looks amazing especially when my CHA will hit 38 at level 20, so it will hit as a +14 weapon and is basically indestructable

timestop; for obvious reasons, but is it as good as it looks? in that 9 seconds i can blast off about 3 maybe 4 spells? so i guess its pretty good

mordenkainen's disjunction; looks good at first, but i rarely if ever needed to dispel someone else's effects and even though it can lower SR by 10 ( which is nice ) greater spell breach already lowers it by 5, and with epic spell pen, even at level 20 if i roll a 1 i will be able to break through any SR

what picks do you guys usually do?

so far by the looks of it i will probably go; time stop, bigby's crushing hand, black blade of disaster ( for those blasted golems )

Without assuming specific gear being available (like perma-haste or perma-true seeing items for example), a typical sorcerer spell selection for me might look something like this (though it does vary here and there depending on the module or server I am playing):

1) Magic Missile, Protection From Alignment, Mage Armor, Identify, Ray of Enfeeblement
    2) Melf's Acid Arrow, Darkness, Ultravision, See Invisibility, Death Armor
    3) Flame Arrow, Haste, Protection From Elements, Negative Energy Burst
    4) Ice Storm, Improved Invisibility, Lesser Spellbreach, Elemental Shield
    5) Firebrand, Lesser Mindblank, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Lesser Spell Mantle
    6) Isaac's Greater Missle Storm, Globe of Invulnerability, Bigby's Forceful Hand
    7) Shadow Shield, Bigby's Grasping Hand, Finger of Death
    8) Premonition, Greater Sanctuary, Horrid Wilting
    9) Mordenkainen's Disjunction, Bigby's Crushing Hand, Shapechange*

* I use a client mod that makes any sort of shape shifting doesn't cause you to lose any bonus spells due to a high primary casting stat from gear. This makes Shapechange my favorite choice. When playing without that mod (like on a PW), I tend towards Time Stop if it's available, or Gate.

I take Mordenkainen's Disjunction because I like having the option to strip buffs, dispel lingering aoe's, and lower SR. Greater Spell Breach is a lvl 6 spell, a level that is already filled with great choices, while Level 9 has relatively few great choices and Mord's is one of them. I do like taking Lesser Spell Breach at level 4 to have an early and less costly method of piercing magical defenses though.

Alternatively, I have sometimes taken some or all of the Shadow Conjuration line of spells for more versatility. I only wish the Shadow Summons were better and improved with the higher level Shadow Conjurations.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    right now my sorcerer is level 19 with 34 CHA, which means at level 20 she will hit 35

and then i am only wearing 3 CHA items, since some of them dont stack so i took off the rings i was wearing;

cloak of charisma +5
    the mask of persuasion

the rings dont stack with... either the belt of cloak, or else i would have even more

cloak of charisma +5
    the mask of persuasion

You can get a maximum of +12 to a stat from gear. All the stat gear stacks up to +12.