Skip to content

NPC Guide to BG3 (spoilers in the guide itself but not in my post here)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited October 2020 in Baldur's Gate III
Update: DARKSIDE55 has reposted this guide (on a non-Steam website I won't name) without my permission. Please go to the Steam link for the latest about this guide.

Almost 7 years ago I released my NPC Guides to BGEE and BG2EE.

When they were released the world I assume stood at a standstill. Ok, probably not. But with Baldur's Gate 3 now out (at least in EA) I thought I'd take the time to come out with an NPC Guide for it. Fortunately, this time there are only 5 permanent companions and not the 29 or so BGEE had.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2254840011

Anyways, if people have any feedback I look forward to hearing it. I kept it spoiler light but the very nature of an NPC guide means some spoilers are included.
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    One tidbit that may be worth adding to Shadowheart or not, depends on how spoilery you want it
    You can pickpocket the box she carries before she joins you. I'm sure this has implications later on.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Wow, they all have awful stats! :o
    (Sorry, I guess that doesn't offer anything helpful as far as the guide goes...)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2020
    5E stats work pretty different than 2E. You are getting some kind of bonus as long as you have 12 in a skill. You also don't benefit from dexterity for AC for heavy armor, and only get a limited benefit from dexterity when wearing medium armor.

The long and the short of it is that most of their stats are fine. They aren't optimized but are very workable.

The one that people have criticized the most is Shadowheart and her dexterity. I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand NPCs can have mechanical flaws. On the otherhand her ranged attacks really suck at the moment because I'm pretty sure you can't throw daggers or spears. So she could benefit a lot from more dexterity.
    Post edited by elminster on