Skip to content

Unique Items Should be.....Well Unique

Have you ever gotten your 15th Ring of the Princes +1 and thought to yourself....."Damn....just how many princes does this royal family have anyway?" I mean to have so many rings be found in such a relatively small area...

Or how about your 2nd, or 3rd copy of Golden Girdle of Urnst? Destroyer of the Hills? Heart of the Golem? Rashad's Talon? etc. etc.

Yes I realize that some of these can be replaced with more generic items using EEKeeper, but not all. This is more or less a mod idea to make the unique items truly unique with their flavor text and also make sure that they only drop or be sold in one location with only 1 available (or at most 2-3 in the case of Ring of the Princes +1). Being as some of these "unique items" are not powerful in the slightest, I propose adding generic versions where appropriate to the item list and subsequent drop locations.

Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Protection +2, Golden Girdle, Girdle of Bluntness, so on and so forth.

I admit it is just a pet peeve of mine, but I always groan when I get duplicates of "unique" items. I would love for someone to undertake this mod as my modding experience is limited to opening EEKeeper and only changing certain aspects of characters in a save game file. My hope is that someone ambitious with knowledge will feel the same way and run with this mod idea and make unique items truly a 1 per game experience.
Permidion_StarkIsewein

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I'm kinda torn about this. On the one hand, I absolutely LOVE the descriptions for even the lowliest magic item, because it infuses it with a sense of history and personality. It does indeed feel rather odd getting so many copies of the Rings of the Princes etc.

On the other hand, the other extreme feels so dang impersonal. "This magic weapon possesses an enhancement bonus to attack and damage, but bears no identifying marks." feels just as dull and unimaginative as the former.
    ThacoBellIsewein
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Obviously, some of those are knockoffs :D
    ilduderinoIseweinineth
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I live in Amkethran and thought Rings of the Princes +1 only came in packs of 5
    evildevil97Permidion_StarkBlackbɨrdIsewein
  • darkphoenix77darkphoenix77 Member Posts: 10
    Zaxares wrote: »
    I'm kinda torn about this. On the one hand, I absolutely LOVE the descriptions for even the lowliest magic item, because it infuses it with a sense of history and personality. It does indeed feel rather odd getting so many copies of the Rings of the Princes etc.

On the other hand, the other extreme feels so dang impersonal. "This magic weapon possesses an enhancement bonus to attack and damage, but bears no identifying marks." feels just as dull and unimaginative as the former.

I just want to be clear...I wouldn't want to see low level unique items removed, the flavor text and history is indeed what makes them unique and sets them apart. I would rather see generic magic items however in later drops, than multiple copies of some item that is supposed to be a magic item with a unique history.

I am not sure a certain amount of impersonality can be avoided in regards to certain items. In most cases low level enchantments (+1) are just so common that most items of this caliber simply will never have any interesting associated history or legend logically. Especially considering that every humanoid chieftain and big baddie lackey has these items.
    Permidion_StarkIsewein
  • globocideglobocide Member Posts: 7
    I think you are looking for the Unique Artifacts mod. https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-uniqueartifacts
    inethDjinn