Skip to content

How to properly nerf my characters in BG2EE?

ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
edited October 2020 in General Modding
I made a mistake of installing a mod that allows the level cap to be 30. Now I’m only midgame and my characters are all near that level. Encounters are becoming a bit too easy so I’m thinking of using EEKeeper to nerf my characters. Any good ways to do that?

I’m already having SCS installed, and I’ve turned on all the AI options there. Also I’d prefer to tinker with the mods as little as possible, as doing so in the middle of a playthrough usually messes things up.

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    To make things more challenging without resorting to modding the game you could ban your characters from using potions. If your party has to rely solely on their spells for all their healing and buffs it makes things more tricky. And if you really want to increase the challenge level you could ban the use of scrolls and wands as well.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Uh ... the level cap in unmodded BG2EE is 8 million XP. For any single-classed character, that's over level 30. Your mod didn't raise the cap; you could have gotten there already.

In my current run, with SCS at Insane difficulty, the bard and monk in the party are at or above level 30 already. The fighters aren't far behind, at 28 and 27. That's in chapter 6.

Honestly, I enjoy both challenging fights and the feeling of power from steamrolling enemies that should be dangerous. Taking three inquisitor dispels to bring down the alhoon, while having a party member forced to retreat and another die, was fun. Taking down Kangaxx before he could do anything was also fun.

Variant rules and themed parties are another way to make challenging or interesting gameplay for yourself. My current party isn't allowed to cast spells (from the spellcasting button; innates and item abilities are legal). My next party will be built around achieving fire immunity and casting spells like Fire Storm and Incendiary Cloud to destroy everything that isn't immune. It's all good.
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    jmerry wrote: »
    Uh ... the level cap in unmodded BG2EE is 8 million XP. For any single-classed character, that's over level 30. Your mod didn't raise the cap; you could have gotten there already.

In my current run, with SCS at Insane difficulty, the bard and monk in the party are at or above level 30 already. The fighters aren't far behind, at 28 and 27. That's in chapter 6.

Honestly, I enjoy both challenging fights and the feeling of power from steamrolling enemies that should be dangerous. Taking three inquisitor dispels to bring down the alhoon, while having a party member forced to retreat and another die, was fun. Taking down Kangaxx before he could do anything was also fun.

Variant rules and themed parties are another way to make challenging or interesting gameplay for yourself. My current party isn't allowed to cast spells (from the spellcasting button; innates and item abilities are legal). My next party will be built around achieving fire immunity and casting spells like Fire Storm and Incendiary Cloud to destroy everything that isn't immune. It's all good.

Thanks for the input. I’m also at chapter 6, having SCS installed and playing at Insane difficulty. In your opinion, how would a party with a level 30 experience point cap fare in mid or late game? What about level 20 cap? For now the game seems a bit too easy, but I’m not sure how it’s gonna be later in the game.

I’m thinking of starting the game over since my current game has some problems with the mods. I particularly enjoyed the difficulty when my party was around level 20-24 and I want to set things up to replicate that difficulty.