Skip to content

EE Keeper for OS X via Wineskin

124»

Comments

• lx07lx07 Member Posts: 2
    Current version EEKeeper-OSX_v1.0.4.0a works perfectly fine on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) but will not run on 10.15 (Catalina) as this version of macOS removes support for 32 bit apps.

It looks like it is because of the Wine binaries being 32 bit
    A1398:Downloads hali$ find ~/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app/ -type f -perm +111 -exec file -p {} \; -exec head -c 1 /dev/zero \; | xargs -0 -n 1 sh -c 'echo "$@" | head -n 1' -- | grep -v x86_64 | grep -E Mach-O.+i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/msgconv: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/pkg-config: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/winedump: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/msggrep: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/tiffsplit: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/fax2tiff: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/linkicc: Mach-O executable i386
    /Users/hali/Downloads/EEKeeper-OSX.app//Contents/Resources/Wine.bundle/Contents/Resources/bin/msgcomm: Mach-O executable i386
     etc,etc

Any chance of repackaging it as 64bit? I'm not sure if EEKeeper.exe needs to be 64bit or just the Wine part so posted here...
    StefanO
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I've googled a bit and found on WINEHQ
    Current Wine includes support for 64 bit Wine on Mac OS X; however, this has not been tested very much, and some applications may never work due to an ABI incompatibility between Win64 and OS X.
    Regarding the ABI incompatibility:
    OSX has a ABI incompatibility with Win64 - OSX overwrites a CPU register that Win64 applications expect to remain untouched. Apple can’t change the ABI because there are already 64 bit OSX apps that expect things to work that way. A potential workaround may be to run Wine inside a CPU emulator like qemu, but that is anything but easy.
  • lx07lx07 Member Posts: 2
    A wrapper made using WineskinWinery.app from https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer runs 32 bit EEKeeper 1.0.4.0.zip if you choose the WS11WineCX19.0.1-1 engine which contains Wine32on64.

I pulled the current version and it is signed and works on Catalina without having to disable SIP or use any boot parameters so no longer any need to keep Mojave just for EE Keeper :)
    GwaelanStefanO
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Brilliant: It just works!

Thanks a lot.