Skip to content

Did throwing weapon melee get removed at some point?

Made a new character after a while. Put points in daggers and dual-wielding thinking I'm going all in that trope and it seems I can't change my throwing daggers into melee mode anymore. What gives?

I tried googling it extensively but I can't find any patch notes about this.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Throwing axes and magical throwing daggers can be used in melee as well. Nonmagical throwing daggers can't. And there are no magical throwing daggers in vanilla BGEE (before SoD).
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Hmh, ok then. Was that always the case for non-magical daggers? I could swear I was using those to melee a couple of years ago but I'm now doubting my memory.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    You have to right-click on the weapon in the quick-weapon slot (I can't remember if this is only on the quickbar or if this can also be done in the inventory view) to switch weapon modes. You can also do this to change arrow type on the fly for archers.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited October 2020
    For the weapons that can be used in both melee and ranged modes, switching can only be done with the quickbar. Or by script; preference for ranged or melee weapons can switch to either mode as appropriate.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You can switch modes in the inventory screen as well, but the weapon has to be equipped (as opposed to just being in your back pack). As with changing the mode through the quick-weapon slot you right-click on it, but you then have to select the abilities screen before choosing between ranged and melee.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Where I'm not sure about all this is basic throwing daggers, specifically, especially since basic melee daggers are a dime a dozen (and with good charisma you get an enchanted one while Gorion is still alive).

You also cannot put throwing daggers in the off-hand at all (I tried this exact same thing a while back), so if you get a returning throwing dagger it's forced to be in your quick weapon slots.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited October 2020
    The position for non-magical throwing daggers is the same in the EE as the original game, i.e. unlike non-magical throwing axes, they can't be equipped as a melee weapon.
    JuliusBorisovLammas
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Hunh, I guess my memory is finally starting to leave me then.

And yeah, I'm well aware of how to change to melee mode in general, lol. I was just confused when I couldn't do it with my throwing daggers.
    Pokota wrote: »
    especially since basic melee daggers are a dime a dozen (and with good charisma you get an enchanted one while Gorion is still alive)
    It would've been a slight abuse of the system to equip it in melee mode as they have 2 apr but I'll just have to make do until I get magical ones in SOD or BG2 depending on which one I go for.