Skip to content

cute widdle bunny familiar?

marcosmarcos Member Posts: 71
I'm wanting my Chaotic Good mage to have a rabbit familiar because cute.

I can edit familiar.2da to give me a rabbit when I cast; but when I put him in my inventory, the object is a cat, and when I release the cat, the inventory empties but nothing appears. And I can't recast the spell.

Is there an easy way to mod this? I'm afraid I might have to write a whole new spell. I don't want a hyper-powered bunny, I just want a cute little friend.

Comments

• Kookies4LaifKookies4Laif Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2020
    What tool/s are you using? Just tried it myself, and it worked. Using Nearinfinity.

Minus the inventory appearance, I think that is tied to what icon/s the item is using in its ITM file. The familiar turns into an item. The icons are in .bam format.

Basically the dialogue script gets rid of the familiar and creates an item in your inventory. The dialogue choice involving picking it up. It'll lead to some action

GiveItemCreate("FAMFAIR",Player1,0,0,0) //so you'll get an .ITM file, in this case one called FAMFAIR
    DestroySelf() //this get's rid of the familiar, which is in CRE format.

So you might be able to make a copy of the item, and change it's icon to something more to your liking.

As for why it's not showing up after you use said item, you might have to edit in famaliar changes into the .gam file itself, which can be done with near infinity. Sometimes override changes don't affect preloaded stuff, so to speak, in saved games so manual changes are necessary.

Go to your latest save folder using near infinity and open .gam, then scroll all the way to to the bottom and change the CRE file reference in the "Familiar info" section.

Tell me if you want me to post screen shots. That's if you're using Nearinfinity anyway. Hope this helps at least a bit in any case.
    Post edited by Kookies4Laif on
  • marcosmarcos Member Posts: 71
    I'm using NearInfinity.

I think the problem is this: The game does an alignment check, sees I have a rabbit but that I'm chaotic. So it gives me a cat. But then I have a cat in my inventory and it doesn't know what to do with that because my familiar is set to rabbit.

I've found a solution, and if I understand what you wrote, it's the same or similar to yours.

Rather than set the Chaotic Good familiar to Rabbit, I've set it to Cat and made it look like a rabbit--editing both the CRE and the ITM. The engine still thinks it's a Chaotic Cat, so that when it does the alignment check everything is cool.

And so it's working now.

It might have been easier to simply change the alignments of the cat and the rabbit--I might play with that to see what happens.
    Cool if you got it to work.

I simply made a copy of the Rabbit.CRE, called it -widdle, made the change in the Famailiar.2DA, then edited it's DLG and Script to that of FAMFAIR, or the Fairy familiar for CG?
    79pav6w9988e.png

trzw9mdkcl0p.png

After it was just checking everything was good in the .gam file

qd6q94kojeof.png

edited September 2020
    You can also always make a copy of the DLG, and edit it so everything makes sense too.

Making me want to make some cool Rabbit Fam too, except I want more of a killer, go for the throat variety type of of bunny...

edit: silly me just realized there was a rabbit fam already, I don't really use fams, might be better to work off of that as a base. Derp. Please don't mind me, I'ma walk away now...
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @marcos
    Tome and Blood has a choose-a-familiar option. Rabbits are available.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The easiest way is to start your Charname as True Neutral, summon your little bunny then change your alignment to CG. No muss, no fuss (until you need to resummon it in SoA anyway...).
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2020