Skip to content

What Name Do You Use For Your Main Chatacter

Im interested to know what names people use for their main character and how they come up with it

I don't really have a D&D background so ive just always used my name.

Comments

• VidarVidar Member Posts: 6
    I use Vidar, norse god of silence, self improvement and vengeance.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    @Quartz that is probably the most random set of names ive ever seen for any computer game. You sir, have a style all of your own.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Kenji, common Japanese name that has nothing to do with D&D.
    @Kenji whats the story behind the name? why did you choose a common Japanese name?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I generally play a female paladin called Hope. I chose it because right from my first game of Baldur's Gate I have always play no-reloads. This meant that in the early days I started an awful lot of games most of which didn't last very long. Her name is short for I-Hope-She-Doesn't-Die-This-Time.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I name pretty much all my characters Shin and they're all based on some aspect of my personality. It goes back to a character I played in a MUD back in the 90s.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012
    @Permidion_Stark

Wow, that's hardcore. I'm sure you've lost plenty of party NPCs to explosive critical-hit deaths . . . and kept going.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I currently play a female neutral evil assassin named Azenath, which is a Hebrew name referring to a devotee of the Egyptian goddes Neith, goddess of Night. It seemed appropriate for a thief.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

@Quartz that is probably the most random set of names ive ever seen for any computer game. You sir, have a style all of your own.

Ahaha! Thank you
    KolonKu said:

My character will be named "for the blowjob".

When I hand in quests, people will say "Thank you for the blowjob, you've been a big help!"

Also, Sarevok's bounty notices will say that he's looking for the blowjob. Pretty perverted of him!

rofl, that is all.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Mortianna = Latin for "giver of death" - I always thought it was the perfect name for an evil female Necromancer.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012
    I'm gonna be probably Yulor Mornmagor, or something of the 2.

Yulor = Bearer, or one who bears a curse/dark fate.

Mornmagor =Black Swordsman, or Black Blade

Take if for what you will, Bearer of the Black Blade, or a cursed swordsman dressed in black.

Thinking of putting a portrait like the following too :

Im going to make a human Kensai for BG1, any recommendations for a cool name?
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    Why you reckon they call him Jangalang?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012

Rack City Bitch, Giant
  • TroikaTroika Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2012

Dayken Sengs

(just felt like making one up :)

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Selene for my NE elf sorceress, Grom for my LG half-orc barbarian.
  • cory5694cory5694 Member Posts: 23
    Yroc my name backwards :p
    @shawne those are some good names, feels very BG like.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    My usual names:

Gurmax McBlade - simply put maximum of a bear roar, was my usual nick on most forums and games (specially old games like BG)

Duron McBlade - My most usual name now, origin comes from Warcraft. Durotan was the father of Thrall the warchief, so I took the name of Durontan in honor of that great orc, in short time I shortened it to Duron

McBlade - Always my hero's last name. Mc comes from respect to Scotish people while Blade was my DJ name for awhile back in the BG days and it continued to stick for my heroes in games since then

illana Brilan - My female avatar most common name... TBH I never figured why I got to love her name. I guess combo from one of my country names which is Lana and Illness. Only thing that comes to mind honestly. As for last name it simply sounded good in my mouth when I said Hi, I'm Illana Brilan.

• HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I have used several but I usually use my own name. I also remember using, "James Dragonfist" when making a Cavalier using weapons and armor designed to kill dragons like the ones you find in Firkraag's lair and later from his red scales.

When playing as myself, I give myself stats I would want in real life and deal with situations I would most likely do in real life. One has the right to dream about being a capable hero, right? ;)
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    My PCs have all been named after characters in a novel that I am in the process of writing. Often times I've mixed their names together with names from the Forgotten Realms universe to make them sound more local, but aside from that, they're all from my story.

As for how I picked the names in my story, well many of them are allegories about whatever I felt was important at the time I was writing their particular story arcs. The characters are based on real people and/or cultures and although I changed the names, they are still similar enough that some bright reader may be able to deduce who they are supposed to be. Other names, for entirely fictional characters, are completely made up and are just what I thought sounded the best for the particular fictional culture that I invented.
  • I use the mighty name of D'Addario! Maker of mighty strings! For even mightier instruments!

Oh wait lol.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2012
    I usually use Marathack for my human {insert desired alignment} mage.

Other names are Ycharyd (elven ranger (who is not related to the ghost at Ulcaster, mind you!), Philioniliys (daughter of Ycharyd, wizard) and Cobbles for my Halfling thief.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2012
    In IWD I had a party with a dwarven fighter called Bohr, like Niels Bohr the scientist. I find "Bohr" very fitting for a dwarf. Also there was a halfling thief Angelo Quicklhand, in honor of Tommy Angelo from the first Mafia.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I usually make up a name by combining random syllables until I hit a combination I like the sound of. That's how Buria, Szaria, Nadia and Ajrin, for females and Nadir, Tehan, Leslo and Belden for males were created. (And boy, do I have a fetish for letter 'r' or what? O_o ) (Also, those were made up before I learnt English properly, so unless you're Polish, you're probably trying to pronounce them wrong).

There are exception:
    Chaos was named for his chaotic alignment,
    Malica for her malicious personality, (yes, I knew English by then)
    and then there's Karrion.

He was so named by his dying mother, who wanted to show her gratitude for Gorion's declaration that he'd raise the boy. With her last breath she mixed names of her mother (Karina) and Gorion's. Thus, the baby boy was called Karrion, (pronounced like Gorion with K-A instead of G-O). That changed as soon as Imoen learnt to speak. She immediately renamed Karrion to Carry, which was quite suiting, considering he was often carrying her around the place. Then Imoen started learning how to read, and the first thing she did was reading 'Karrion' as 'carrion'. The boy thought this was the funniest thing ever, and started to introduce himself this way, and it stuck. To this day there are some confused travelers around the Sword Coast, wondering why a young man would call himself a corpse. ;P

• AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    Quartz said:

But my all time favorite has to be Shenanigan Flanagan the Swashbuckler. It rhymes, and it makes 100% sense ... he got involved in many shenanigans.

Love that last one :D

• AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56

Hiro.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    Ablu Destroyer.