Skip to content

Monk run, do you need to bring Rasaad?

Hello!
Im soon to start up my first Monk run of Baldur's Gate ever, planing on playing a Dark Soul Monk.
My question is: In Bg2EE, do Rasaads questline bring any usefull *monk* items for a Dark Soul Monk?

/cheers Rangeltoft

Comments

• SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2020
    Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes. I've done the SoA quest once now, it was alright though there are quite a few points where the writing could have been clearer. So the outcome of the quest was a bit unsatisfactory story-wise. But you get at least one good item for a monk, especially if you do the quest in chapter 2 or 3. There is a non-trivial fight at the end though, beware.
    The ToB part I have yet to see, but I know there are some very good items in there too. So it's definitely worth doing, especially when you are a monk.
  • BracchusBracchus Member Posts: 41
    There's some pretty good monk stuff in that quest line which is great if you're keeping rasaad but not so great when playing a monk yourself because you have to keep 2 monks for a good amount of time. I confess to having cheated one of those items in using the console so I didn't have to keep a 2 monk party for that stretch of time. One item in particular is a really good one that you won't end up replacing until chapter 4
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Running two monks shouldnt be a problem. the rest of the party just have to steep up thier game :P

and i might end up using some mods that improve the monk class.
    The quest line is not that long, you can pick up Rasaad in Trademeet, and immediately go to the Athkatla gates to get it started. You can leave Rasaad behind once it's finished. And (from what I understand from the wiki) you can do the exact same thing in ToB.
  • BracchusBracchus Member Posts: 41
    Rangeltoft wrote: »
    Running two monks shouldnt be a problem. the rest of the party just have to steep up thier game :P

and i might end up using some mods that improve the monk class.

I strongly recommend the monk overhaul mod, with the fist bonuses set to the first option during installation
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Either that or Monastic Orders of Faerun, both have options that i would like to try out.

@Satrhan true, but i am not the biggest fan of switching out my partymembers like that.
    edited November 2020
    It's not my prefered way to play either (building a team is fun in this game), though I apply it often. Especially if you are playing a bit more mercenary, it feels completely viable to leave people like Nalia, Mazzy, Keldorn, Aerie, and Valygar behind once the task is done. Having a core group, having just one rotating slot doesn't really feel off. And Rasaad's quest has as one of the outcomes an option that practically takes the choice away from you (from what I got from the wiki, didn't manage to get that one in my play). Of course then summoning him in ToB is a different matter.