Skip to content

Kagain quest stuck (BG:EE)

BGMattBGMatt Member Posts: 30
edited April 2020 in Troubleshooting
The BG wiki makes it sound like this quest can be completed, however we seem to have broken it?

We had previously explored and looted the entire map screen with the caravans on (north of Beregost) weeks(!) before we met Kagain. We finally met Kagain and got his quest, and travelled north to try and find Entar's son. We encountered the first caravan and he said nothing (as to be expected) then traveled to the second caravan and immediately got into a fight with the bandits there (no dialogue was initiated because of this?). Once the fight was over we were standing right at the caravan and Kagain said nothing.

We have tried leaving the area and returning (from all directions) and with Kagain as leader, nothing seems to work. The console command C:GetGlobal("kagaincaravan","global") returns a value of 3, but when the quest is complete it has a value of 4 (apparently). So our quest journal entry is still there. We tried changing the variable with "C:SetGlobal..." to 0, 1, 2, and 4 but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Is this quest just going to be permanently stuck as incomplete?

Thanks!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    are you guys using any mods?

i started a new game, rushed down to beregost

got kagain

then walked north of beregost to the area where the caravans are

when i reached the 2nd caravan that had entar's family's dead bodies, kagain came up to me, and basically said; oh well didnt make it on time, lets go get revenge on them

and then quest was over and finished in the journal

also, after you hit the 2nd caravan, did you manually force talk with kagain? perhaps something in the script screwed up, try going back there and force talking with him and see what happens

for me, everything worked hunky doory with no problems, plus i also had 18 CHA, what is the charisma of the character he was talking to? perhaps if it was too low you got the negative reaction from kagain?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited April 2020
    Kagain should walk to the protagonist. If you interrupt his action by issuing him another command before he arrives, his quest breaks.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38617
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38924
  • BGMattBGMatt Member Posts: 30
    Kagain should walk to the protagonist. If you interrupt his action by issuing him another command before he arrives, his quest breaks.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38617
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38924

Ah, so I guess we can never finish that quest then? Seems like a pretty risky way to allow a quest to be interupted, since almost everyone will have all characters selected whilst moving around the map. He probably started walking towards Charname, but it would not be obvious that anything was happening, so we clicked somewhere else or on one of the bodies and that must have interrupted it.
  • BGMattBGMatt Member Posts: 30
    sarevok57 wrote: »

got kagain

when i reached the 2nd caravan that had entar's family's dead bodies, kagain came up to me, and basically said; oh well didnt make it on time, lets go get revenge on them

also, after you hit the 2nd caravan, did you manually force talk with kagain? perhaps something in the script screwed up, try going back there and force talking with him and see what happens

for me, everything worked hunky doory with no problems, plus i also had 18 CHA, what is the charisma of the character he was talking to? perhaps if it was too low you got the negative reaction from kagain?

Thanks - no mods, high CHA. I'll try forcing a talk, but based on the reply above I think the quest is bugged.
  • I think you have to get him very close to the caravan at the right spot to trigger his reaction. I circled it several times and then, suddenly it happens. I also made him Leader for the time searching.

6rdnefvbaoqc.png

According to wiki, you have 15 days to accomplish the task. (https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Entar%27s_Son)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    sarevok57 wrote: »

got kagain

Did you have "Entar's Son" finished in your journal, but "Kagain's Quest" still open? That's what's happening to me. Should they both be finished or should Kagain's Quest vanish?