Skip to content

Modding Help: Chapter dialogue file

SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
I've been playing about with Near Infinity, familiarising myself with BG's files. But I've not been able to find where the data for the text that's read during the Chapter reads is stored.

Would anyone know the file type and file name of where that dialogue is? Right now I'm trying to find the Chapter reads for SoD.

Thanks!

(The text that's read here)
1ugzfaxb94wy.png

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    This is pretty much what you are looking for:

733w009f9e2y.png
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2020
    @Skitia They're similar, but not quite the same. Looks like a previous draft left in the game.

@Sirick The referenced string is #70019. It is referenced by the file "DPALACE.2DA", itself referenced by area script "BD0103.BCS" through the "TextScreen()" action.
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    Thank you very much! Was driving me nuts looking for that. I've been cataloguing dialogue for a future project, and for the life of me I had no idea where to find those entries. (Still very much a BG modding noob).

I'll admit, I still don't quite understand how the String table thing works, but at least I can find what I'm looking for now.

Again, thank you!

(Sneak peek at my nice big spreadsheet)
    b762v6ncla38.png
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2020
    @kjeron

Thanks for looking that up for me!

May I ask, what's the easiest way to find all of the chapter entries? I'd assume checking the files that would trigger each chapter to start for the string reference?

-Update-

Nevermind. Just found the Find StringRef tool. But thanks again! Slowly learning how to navigate Near Infinity.

Post edited by Sirick on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2020
    That specific one was more an exception, as it's not linked to a new chapter.
    Normal Chapter text is called through the 'IncrementChapter("File")' action.
    Though the 2da file name is arbitrary, they are still named numerically for convenience:
    CHPTXT0.2da, CHPTXT1.2da, CHPTXT2.2da, CHPTXT3.2da, etc...

The text associated with dreams is called through similar 2da files:
    DRMTXT2.2da, DRMTXT3.2da, DRMTXT4.2da, DRMTXT5.2da, etc...
    But I don't recall whether those 2da files are hardcoded or specified by something else.