Skip to content

Boba Fett - How would he translate into a charname

Last night, when I was watching the most-recent episode of Mandalorian and at the same time considering a potential new evil PC to play when my current no-reload char dies (which, due to my limited abilities, I worry may come sooner rather than later).

Then it hit me. What if Boba Fett was the son of the lord of murder (prequals don't exist in my reality)? Obviously, he would need to be a bounty hunter, but he needs to be a bad@ss fighter too. So, I think to myself, why not EEKeeper him into a Fighter/Bounty Hunter? As for race, it seems like Ogre or Elf would be the strongest contenders (Boba ain't no shorty) and Boba strikes me as an elf due to his dexterity. Weapon choice creates some issues. Star Wars is more of a ranged universe; the vast majority of combatants use ranged weapons. That is less of the case in the Forgotten Realms. Also, I believe backstab requires a melee weapon. With that in mind, I see him using a bow (not sure if longbow or shortbow makes more sense to reflect his carbine; might metagame based on what is better for a trilogy run, which I assume is shortbow) and then for melee weapons I am thinking katana (perhaps single weapon style) and staff.

All of that said, as I am sure there are many Boba Fett fans out there, I would love to get your takes on what I am getting "wrong" and how you would build him. Also, if you see any gear/weapons as particularly appropriate, please let me know.

Thanks in advice for any advice.
BlackravendunbarAerakar

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited December 2020
    Definitely a heavy armor user; I think you're on the right track with your class choice. Note that trap use and trap detection aren't impaired by armor at all. You might have to take it off on occasion to disarm hostile traps, pick locks, and hide in shadows, but you don't have to do that in combat. I recently played a fighter/thief with heavy armor myself, and it worked just fine.
    The one technical problem ... the BH kit won't work properly if you EEKeeper it as part of a multiclass. You'll get the trap abilities (once you edit in the first instances), but you won't get the drawback of fewer thief points per level. You might have to go for a plain fighter/thief instead.

What he looks like inside that armor? Who knows? Who cares? Anything goes.

Alignment is neutral or something close to it; he basically just works for whoever's paying him, without personal motivations playing any real role.

Combat strategies? Ambush tactics wherever possible. Find out where the enemy is going to be, and shape the battlefield to your advantage. Fair fights are for chumps. Traps are definitely a key element here.
    Recall his original appearance here; he tracked down his target, called in his employer for an ambush with overwhelming force, and had them captured without a fight. Then in the next movie he got whacked by a near-blind guy and fell down a hole. No actual combat prowess demonstrated. He won by rigging the encounter, and lost when he got caught by surprise.
    Blackraven
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I also agree with your desire to include the Bounty Hunter kit, and would like to add my two cents on weapon choices. As a very mechanics-oriented character, I'd have Boba use crossbows rather than bows (or perhaps both), small practical tools like (throwing) daggers and darts (wounding, stunning), and possibly halberds since those deal piercing or slashing damage depending on what's most convenient.
    dunbar
    If you want to use the BH kit combined with a fighter, a dual class will make it work properly. Even if the Bounty Hunter is the second half of the dual (for best results, set kit before dual-classing).

Another equipment recommendation: grenades. Or, as the BG series would have it, potions of explosions, oils of fiery burning, and the necklace of missiles. Consumable items and active item abilities of all sorts fit the concept well.
    dunbar
  • Matteo12345Matteo12345 Member Posts: 19
    Great ideas! I hadn't thought about crossbows or grenades! Also, I don't mind if multiclassing messes up the number of thief points. I can just manually edit (or cheat a bit and keep them so I don't need to waste space on another thief). My concern with crossbows is that I thought they couldn't hit some of the toughest BG2 mobs, but Gensen can.
    Blackraven
    Great ideas! I hadn't thought about crossbows or grenades! Also, I don't mind if multiclassing messes up the number of thief points. I can just manually edit (or cheat a bit and keep them so I don't need to waste space on another thief). My concern with crossbows is that I thought they couldn't hit some of the toughest BG2 mobs, but Gensen can.

The Firetooth crossbow is very good, with an enchantment of +5 once upgraded. But shortbows with Tuigan/Tansheron's/Gesen are great too.
  • Matteo12345Matteo12345 Member Posts: 19
    Does firetooth +5 count for purposes of needing a +3 or more to attack? I thought it was based off the arrows.
    Does firetooth +5 count for purposes of needing a +3 or more to attack? I thought it was based off the arrows.

It is indeed the ammo enchantment that decides whether you can hit certain enemies. If you don't load it with bolts, Firetooth will fire its own magical bolts which have a +4 or, when upgraded +5 enchantment and will thus hit enemies that require +4 or +5 weapons to hit them, so you'll be fine! :)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2020
    Having just watched the Mandalorean (1&2) over Xmas I'm keen to give this a go. Fighter dualled to BH seems the best option but:

@jmerry you said "for best results, set kit before dual-classing". How do I do this, I thought it wasn't possible to dual into a kit, does it involve eekeeper (which I know the square root of FA about)?
    Yes, it involves EEKeeper. You can set the kit field with it at any time, and there aren't any checks on whether the kit matches the class.

While setting a wrong-class kit this way may give your character equipment restrictions - a fighter with the Shapeshifter kit can't wear armor, for example - none of the other kit abilities will apply and you'll function as an unkitted version of the first class. Then, when you dual-class, the kit is applied to the new class from the beginning, and everything including the level 1 abilities applies.
    Adam_en_tiumdunbarAerakarWoebegone