Skip to content

My familiar keep comes back to me, is this normal?

I'm playing NWN EE as a sorcerer, I'm lv. 4 now.

I have a familar, a pixie. Sometimes I possess it to control myself and use it for explore the area because Sorcerer has low HP so I don't want to die.

However, when I do this, a familiar keep comes back to my character automatically.

Is this normal or a glitch?

Did developers make familiars can't go too far away from it's owner for purpose?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited December 2020
    I am not too familiar with the possession mechanic, but that's a good strategy and I should use it more.

From what I can remember, your familiar shouldn't be teleporting back to you, no.
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    I am not too familiar with the possession mechanic, but that's a good strategy and I should use it more.

From what I can remember, your familiar shouldn't be teleporting back to you, no.

No, it doesn't teleport back to me, it just ignores my command to go further and walks back to me.

I've asked reddit too and they say familiars can't go too far away from the summoner. I guess this is it.

Thank you btw.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    yes this is normal, there is no limit to where familiar can go, especially if you are possessing it - you can move 100 locations away from your PC while inside familiar, however when you release the possession, familiar gets teleported back to you if it were in other area or will move towards you if he was in same area

you might be able to stop him from going back to you with swift Stand Ground command right after release, but that cannot be really done that fast and familiar will move quite a distance between he react to that
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    @Shadooow @lazynomore52 I've noticed that too recently - even when I possess my familiar the distance I can get it to move away from me is limited and it turns around and comes back. I just made a big empty area with nothing but grass and I was able to get all the way across a 32x32 tile area but in some dungeons I've played recently (maybe Eye of the Beholder 2 or HotU) I have seen this problem and over much smaller distances. I wonder if there might be a pathfinding issue causing it. @lazynomore52 can you post a saved game with the issue apparent?
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    Calgacus wrote: »
    @lazynomore52 can you post a saved game with the issue apparent?

I won't upload a save file. I don't think that's the issue.

However, I'll upload a youtube video.

https://youtu.be/Cd40mqx0xck - This is what happens. Skip to 0:33. You could see that I didn't click my familiar to come back, but it changes direction and coming back to me.