Skip to content

Patch 8193.20 for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
A New Patch is coming to Steam (done), GOG (done) & the Beamdog Client!
  • Non-English VO Fix
  • NPC Movement Improvement
  • Multiplayer Optimizations
  • Dozens & Dozens of Fixes

Patch Notes

Thanks & <3 to our amazing community!

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2020
    @JuliusBorisov Question regarding 1 item in the patch notes -
    Normal maps are now read as two-channel textures (three are still supported, but this was needed for BC5)

How does this work, which two channels are used and what is BC5. Will this have an impact on standard 3 channel normal maps? Having gone through over 400 "fancy mapped" textures recently I do have an interest in this.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Thanks a bunch!

Any affected 2da's this time or is it rock and roll?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @TarotRedhand

3 channel normal maps should still work. BC5 is a kind of texture compression that is optimized for normal maps. The community maintained texture compression tool nwncrunch will soon be updated to benefit from this, which should make it easy for users to do so too, but any tool that allows converting to BC5 compression should work.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2020
    @JuliusBorisov Has there been any progress in fixing the attack bonus miscalculation bug? How am I supposed to appreciate how the game looks when I can't even get passed how the game plays during combat? Please!
    Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    Currently downloading additional patch data after this patch's initial release. What is this additional data? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    edited December 2020
    Just thought I should drop a line here and report that during my latest playthrough of the Prelude, the combat UI applied a -5 penalty to my character's base attack bonus while doing an attack of opportunity.2pndxbeahol5.png
    Again, the combat UI should not apply attack penalties where there should not be any, especially attacks that are supposed to be done at full base attack bonus! Someone, ANYONE, please fix this damn bug before I go completely insane. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Any patch-notes on this small second patch @JuliusBorisov?

TR
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Behold! Lightning Pillars Returneth

zv1ux9aftut1.png

Thanks Beamdog for finally fixing it and for listening to the stark ravings of a lunatic! And for fixing Server Description fields. That was two of the things I had on my "to-do" list, which I can happily move to my "to-done" list.

Peace, cheers, and Happy Yuletide!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Any patch-notes on this small second patch @JuliusBorisov?

TR

* Fixed specific crossbow model crashing some clients.
    * Fixed some dedicated servers not correctly advertising NWSync downloads.
  • EugVVlEugVVl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 118
    Full screen on linux broken for me, works only in window (tested on GOG version).
    EugVVl wrote: »
    Full screen on linux broken for me, works only in window (tested on GOG version).

We're still working on it. Try Full-screen Borderless should work fine in the meantime-- it should provide the same experience except for no mouse capture.

Enable the following settings in the settings.tml in the .local/share/Neverwinter Nights directory to set that up:

chixngibber7.png
    edited December 2020
    @Old_Gith Congrats!

@niv I have edited my report on this thread to more accurately express my plight. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Is it supposed to be available on GOG already? Can't seem to be able to get it to update.
  • mosmos Member Posts: 26
    Shame that BD can't fix something so essential as fullscreen on Linux. And even breaks what's working.
    Isewein wrote: »
    Is it supposed to be available on GOG already? Can't seem to be able to get it to update.

Yes, it was release there at the same time as on Steam. Try GOG Galaxy.
    mos wrote: »
    Shame that BD can't fix something so essential as fullscreen on Linux. And even breaks what's working.

We're working on the Linux issues. We've been working on them for several months already.
    edited December 2020
    @mos Well, BioWare broke what was working when they released Patch 1.6H8 for NWN Classic. Maybe this is a tradition among developers we don't know about. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming and holidays to all.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2020
    Is there an alternative means to download and install the patch manually? The Galaxy Client's "check for updates" function simply does not do anything for me. I really wanted to try and see whether it fixes my stutter issue with EE.

EDIT: In case anyone else prefers to do things the old manual way, you can still download the patch files directly by selecting a semi-hidden button in your GOG game shelf ("Offline Backup Game Installers"). That worked for me when GOG Galaxy didn't.

As for the patch, at first glance it does seem to indeed improve performance. Seems there is less stutter now. Props to you guys for tackling this - I was really disappointed at first when I tried out EE and found it ran less well than Diamond with all facelift mods.
    Post edited by Isewein on
  • mosmos Member Posts: 26
    We're working on the Linux issues. We've been working on them for several months already.
    you should've ported it to SDL2 first thing and forget about window management and input issues on all platforms.
    you've added various complex bells and whistles but something that should be there before all this doesn't seem to be materializing like ever.
  • gregor_wyrmbanegregor_wyrmbane Member Posts: 9
    EugVVl wrote: »

We're still working on it. Try Full-screen Borderless should work fine in the meantime-- it should provide the same experience except for no mouse capture.

Enable the following settings in the settings.tml in the .local/share/Neverwinter Nights directory to set that up:

chixngibber7.png

I'm running Linux on my comp and after this update I couldn't get the game to run at all. I followed the above instructions and now it plays in "windowed" mode, but it's kind of choppy. Is there a fix for that, or better yet, is there a way I can revert back to the version before this last update?
  • gregor_wyrmbanegregor_wyrmbane Member Posts: 9

Perhaps my question was overshadowed by the large quote in my last post. I'll ask it again.

Is there any way to revert back to the last version of NWN EE?

I don't prefer playing in "windowed" mode.