Skip to content

Party Dying at the beginning of chapter 7

Ma_yuMa_yu Member Posts: 16
I just finished chapter 6 going into chapter 7 and I see that my party dies the moment I sleep. After looking around online I realized I that I encountered Marek I think, and my party got poisoned without me paying attention.
Now I see I have only 1 hour left to die and I just reached candlekeep after finishing the catacombs. I can't even go back to baldur gate as that would take a lot of hours. I'm playing on PS4. Is there a way to prevent my party from dying? I ddidnt complete Marek quest and didn't think that there would be a timer. Let me know otherwise I'm not willing to restart the game after putting this much effort to reach this level.
Thanks
Post edited by Ma_yu on

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There's no way in the basic game. However, you could use the console to travel back to Baldur's Gate instantly and quickly complete the quest there. Alternatively you could reset the game variables controlling the progress of the quest, though that's slightly more complex.

This thread explains how to set up the console if you don't already know that. The area code for the docks where you find Jalantha is AR0609. With the console open, just find that location in the upper left screen and click on that area.
    o4hlgfb2r62a.jpg
    JuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    The quest is definitely timed. Your only option on PS4 would be an earlier save. On PC games we get a chapter start save. So if on PS4 you get the same thing, chapter 6 start save should be available. You should have time to travel back to BG and finish the quest for the antidote before dying. That would mean repeating all of chapter 6 unfortunately.
    ThacoBell
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    From the start of chapter 6? Likely not. It takes a day to travel from Candlekeep to the big city. At least the way I play it, that's longer than chapter 6 - including the rest I take at the beginning because the party is fatigued from traveling to Candlekeep.

You might need an older save - something from when you were in the city, or in the worst case the save from the beginning of chapter 5.
  • Ma_yuMa_yu Member Posts: 16
    Thanks guys for the response. I guess I have no luck if this is the case. The game creates an autosave at the beginning of each chapter and what I usually do is save before any encounter or before exploring any new area. And since on ps4 you only have 10 slots. I keep saving over the older saves. I don't think there's an older save.

And again traveling from candlekeep requires at least 24 hrs on the ee edition. So, does that mean that I won't be able to complete the game?
    My intention is to play 1 and then 2 so that I position myself for 3.

Would I lose a lot if I stop the game here. Can I play 2 with the characters I have? I feel disappointed honestly and frustrated with this.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    There's no way in the basic game. However, you could use the console to travel back to Baldur's Gate instantly and quickly complete the quest there. Alternatively you could reset the game variables controlling the progress of the quest, though that's slightly more complex.

This thread explains how to set up the console if you don't already know that. The area code for the docks where you find Jalantha is AR0609. With the console open, just find that location in the upper left screen and click on that area.
    o4hlgfb2r62a.jpg

Can this work for PS4 or this is strictly to PC. Can I take a saved game from ps4 and do these things on laptop?
    Much appreciated
    Ma_yu wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »

o4hlgfb2r62a.jpg

Can this work for PS4 or this is strictly to PC. Can I take a saved game from ps4 and do these things on laptop?
    Much appreciated

It works on PC and some other platforms - like android. Unfortunately I don't believe it's available on PS4 - my apologies for not reading your original post carefully enough.

You can import BG1 characters into BG2 - either by exporting them or from a saved game - so you do have that option if you don't want to try BG1 any more.
    Hmmmm so it seems I have no options here. My next question. Do I have a lot left on the storyline? Am I missing a lot for not playing the rest of the game? Importing the characters into BG2, would that affect the levels of my characters as I will not be able to finish the remaining quests (the storyline became interesting towards the end as there is some kind of mystery around it). What guys do you suggest.
    Chapter 7 doesn't have to be very long, but it's a fairly intense bit of storyline. You return to the city, dodge the authorities, and expose the villain's plot before he can take power and cause untold suffering.
    Then he gets away, and you chase him down into the long-abandoned ruins buried under the city for a final confrontation.

Chapter 6 is the "wham" episode with a shocking twist - the villains you've been after the whole game are betrayed, their plans destroyed. But the betrayer isn't on your side - he's the one who has been sending killers after you personally, and he plans something even worse than the organization that thought he was working for them.
    After that, chapter 7 is the climax. Fast paced, exciting, and with some unique challenges. It's a shame to miss out on playing that.

I also usually do the Tales of the Sword Coast content in chapter 7 - Durlag's Tower and the other quests around Ulgoth's Beard. Or, at least, after chapter 6; rather than going straight to the city, I head off to those sidequests first.

If you start a new character in BG2EE, they begin with 89K experience (the cap for original BG1). An imported character with less than that will gain experience to bring them to that point. More than that, and you stay with what you had. Also, you get a full set of six Bhaalspawn abilities (the stuff you got after those dreams); any that you didn't have get filled in based on your alignment.

The difference between that 89K minimum and a fully developed character at the BGEE cap? About one level, in most cases. And your characters are going to get another 60K XP each just completing the starting dungeon. BG2 throws far more experience at you than BG1, to the point that differences in the starting point get rapidly smoothed out.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The way I see it is that there are two issues here:

One is that you will miss out on seeing the story through to the end. That's easily fixed by rolling a new, different character and playing through the game again while waiting for BG3 to come out.

The other issue is that of how much XP your current character will have when starting BG2. This is actually a non-issue as there is so much XP floating around in BG2 that you'll be drowning in it. So much so that if I want to play a character in BG2 that dual classes at low level I will start him/her in BG1 and then export them to BG2 as soon as they've dualled, at maybe level 2 or 3.

On a side note, your npc's XP and proficiencies do not carry over to BG2 - when you encounter them in BG2 they will have more XP and profs than when you met them in BG1 but these are fixed by the game and not in any way related to anything they may have done while travelling with you in BG1.
    jmerry wrote: »
    Chapter 7 doesn't have to be very long, but it's a fairly intense bit of storyline. You return to the city, dodge the authorities, and expose the villain's plot before he can take power and cause untold suffering.
    Then he gets away, and you chase him down into the long-abandoned ruins buried under the city for a final confrontation.

Chapter 6 is the "wham" episode with a shocking twist - the villains you've been after the whole game are betrayed, their plans destroyed. But the betrayer isn't on your side - he's the one who has been sending killers after you personally, and he plans something even worse than the organization that thought he was working for them.
    After that, chapter 7 is the climax. Fast paced, exciting, and with some unique challenges. It's a shame to miss out on playing that.

I also usually do the Tales of the Sword Coast content in chapter 7 - Durlag's Tower and the other quests around Ulgoth's Beard. Or, at least, after chapter 6; rather than going straight to the city, I head off to those sidequests first.

If you start a new character in BG2EE, they begin with 89K experience (the cap for original BG1). An imported character with less than that will gain experience to bring them to that point. More than that, and you stay with what you had. Also, you get a full set of six Bhaalspawn abilities (the stuff you got after those dreams); any that you didn't have get filled in based on your alignment.

The difference between that 89K minimum and a fully developed character at the BGEE cap? About one level, in most cases. And your characters are going to get another 60K XP each just completing the starting dungeon. BG2 throws far more experience at you than BG1, to the point that differences in the starting point get rapidly smoothed out.

Thanks for the info. I'll wait till the end of the day, if no one has any solution I might just watch the rest of the story in YouTube and move to the next games in ee, though this brings a question. Is there any other mission that is similar to this in the BG2?
    Also there are other games within BGEE. Any suggestion on which one to do before BG2?
    dunbar wrote: »
    The way I see it is that there are two issues here:

One is that you will miss out on seeing the story through to the end. That's easily fixed by rolling a new, different character and playing through the game again while waiting for BG3 to come out.

The other issue is that of how much XP your current character will have when starting BG2. This is actually a non-issue as there is so much XP floating around in BG2 that you'll be drowning in it. So much so that if I want to play a character in BG2 that dual classes at low level I will start him/her in BG1 and then export them to BG2 as soon as they've dualled, at maybe level 2 or 3.

On a side note, your npc's XP and proficiencies do not carry over to BG2 - when you encounter them in BG2 they will have more XP and profs than when you met them in BG1 but these are fixed by the game and not in any way related to anything they may have done while travelling with you in BG1.

I don't have capacity to play BG again. I would just probably start and try to manage with whatever exp I have. It's pity though as I spent north of 50 hours of playing time over a month ?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Thanks for the info. I'll wait till the end of the day, if no one has any solution I might just watch the rest of the story in YouTube and move to the next games in ee, though this brings a question. Is there any other mission that is similar to this in the BG2?
    Also there are other games within BGEE. Any suggestion on which one to do before BG2?

SIege of Dragonspear is the interquel between the two.
    Arvia
    ThacoBell wrote: »

SIege of Dragonspear is the interquel between the two.

Thanks. I also see more games on the Wikipedia page that are not part of ee edition. Anybody would be able to point me to what order I should play them in total. I don't want to miss anything from those games as I like the style.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited December 2020
    The story of Gorion's Ward goes Baldur's Gate -> Siege of Dragonspear -> Shadows of Amn -> Throne of Bhaal
    (the last two are combined as BG2:EE)

Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, and Planescape: Torment are all separate stories from the story of Gorion's Ward.
    The Black Pits modes in BG:EE and BG2:EE are little side-modes rather than fully-fledged campaigns - they're primarily arena combat modes.
    ArviaFenrirWolfganger
    The Baldur's Gate storyline runs through four campaigns - Baldur's Gate, Siege of Dragonspear, Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal. The latter two are packaged together in the BG2EE game, though ToB was originally an expansion to BG2. Siege of Dragonspear was made by Beamdog as an expansion for Baldur's Gate EE, unlike the other campaigns which are older.
    You can start a new character at any of these four campaigns, and can also continue an old one. Going from BG to SoD (if you have the latter) is seamless. Going to SoA requires that you import your character from a save (the game automatically makes a "final save" you can use for this) and removes all equipment you've collected. Going from SoA to ToB is seamless again.
    The Baldur's Gate campaign, in the EE version, includes both the content of the original "Baldur's Gate" game and the "Tales of the Sword Coast" expansion. They're on the same map, so you can go do that expansion content whenever you think you can handle it. Well, one of the expansion quests requires that you reach chapter 5 or later, as it involves fetching something from the city.

Then BGEE and BG2EE also include a pair of short side adventures, Black Pits and Black Pits 2. For these, you make a party and have them fight as gladiators in an arena. They're light on plot and all about the combat. If you want to try out a character build and see how it plays in battle, these adventures are a good choice. Aside from that, don't use the same characters as the main story. These adventures are meant to be contemporaneous with that story and have some NPCs cross over, but they definitely don't feature the same heroes.

There are two other games out there based on the same "Infinity Engine" adapting the 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons rules: Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. Both have EE versions so they can be played on modern systems.

Anything that's not "EE" from that era ... it might not even run on modern systems. Definitely not consoles. The original games are twenty years old here.
    My intention is to play 1 and then 2 so that I position myself for 3.

Hold on a moment here. Baldur's Gate 3 is a completely different story. While it's looking to play on nostalgia for BG1 and BG2, it's a different engine adapting a substantially different version of the tabletop game, it's something like a hundred years later in the game world, and the story isn't related at all. If you just want to be ready for that game, it doesn't matter whether you play the old games or not.

Very very detailed answer. It's very clear to me now. I just started Sod. Imported my save and ally characters are with me along with all weapons as well!!
    Two questions.
    1- is there any other missions where there is a timer that I should about, where the outcome might be a game over? No need for details yes or no would be enough.
    2- would I be able to import from Sod to BG2?
    3- would it be too much to play Sod which is a bit newer than BG2 first? Would I feel the difference as usually the newer game tend to be much better in mechanics than the old ones

As for me playing the previous gamea to play the last one. I know that companies tend to make those games as a stand alone game. But I have this habit of playing the previous games. I did it with divinity (divine divinity - beyond divinity - Divinity 2 - original sin 1) to play 2. It's funny how these games tend to be much better than the games of today ( generally speaking).

Again appreciate the detailed answer
    Pokota wrote: »
    The story of Gorion's Ward goes Baldur's Gate -> Siege of Dragonspear -> Shadows of Amn -> Throne of Bhaal
    (the last two are combined as BG2:EE)

Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, and Planescape: Torment are all separate stories from the story of Gorion's Ward.
    The Black Pits modes in BG:EE and BG2:EE are little side-modes rather than fully-fledged campaigns - they're primarily arena combat modes.

Thanks. I'll look into the other games. Icewind Dale 1/2 after finishing the BG series. Are those consider to be good?
    1- is there any other missions where there is a timer that I should about, where the outcome might be a game over? No need for details yes or no would be enough.

There's one other quest in the Baldur's Gate campaign that does that. Or, at least, it kills everyone but the protagonist if you don't resolve it in time. If there's dialogue about infecting your party with lycanthropy, pay attention and don't leave the werewolf business unfinished.

In SoD ... I don't have it, so I can't say anything.

In BG2EE, there's one timed quest (a companion getting cursed) that ends in that character's death if you don't solve it fast enough. That's as bad as it gets in that game.
    FenrirWolfganger
    edited December 2020
    2- would I be able to import from Sod to BG2?
    3- would it be too much to play Sod which is a bit newer than BG2 first? Would I feel the difference as usually the newer game tend to be much better in mechanics than the old ones

2 - Yes, you can import from a SoD save in the same way as from BGEE.
    3 - It's fine to play SoD first. The AI is a bit better in the former and the nature of the battles can be a bit different (taking advantage of the ability on newer machines to have more participants than was wise when BG2 was first released). However, the basic feel and gameplay is consistent and Beamdog have done a pretty good job in ensuring it doesn't feel any odder to progress from SoD rather than BGEE (in either case it can feel a bit of an initial wrench as you're losing pretty much all your equipment and your existing party).
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Pokota wrote: »

Thanks. I'll look into the other games. Icewind Dale 1/2 after finishing the BG series. Are those consider to be good?

They're different- much more linear/dungeon crawl-y, and you generally create all of the NPCs. There are about a dozen mod NPCs that can be installed for IWDEE (check the forums here), which add substantially if you like BG2 style NPCs.

IWD2 is a bit of a different story- for one thing, it totally made the shift to D&D 3.0 rules, rather than the modified 2e set that Baldurs Gate and IWD. Also, the source code was lost, so Beamdog decided not to make an EE of it, but there is a fan-made EE that's being worked on, which I believe also includes some NPCs (otherwise, like IWD, you would usually build all of the NPCs).
    FenrirWolfganger
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    It's been stated before, and I kind of agree, Siege of Dragonspear has some of the hardest content in the whole saga, based on the level your group is and the types of encounters you get thrown into. I think most of BG2, at least until Chapter 5, is much easier and designed more for newer players. I think it's mainly because the complexity of magical combat jumps up a few tiers.

That being said, I came to very much enjoy SOD for its story, RP options, and unique battles, so I don't want to recommend against it. But just be aware, it requires different tactics than BG1 and may feel a little weird at first.

FenrirWolfganger
    Selerel wrote: »
    It's been stated before, and I kind of agree, Siege of Dragonspear has some of the hardest content in the whole saga, based on the level your group is and the types of encounters you get thrown into. I think most of BG2, at least until Chapter 5, is much easier and designed more for newer players. I think it's mainly because the complexity of magical combat jumps up a few tiers.

That being said, I came to very much enjoy SOD for its story, RP options, and unique battles, so I don't want to recommend against it. But just be aware, it requires different tactics than BG1 and may feel a little weird at first.

Thanks for your recommendation. I just finished Sod. It was much better than the first installment. I enjoyed the last fight so much. And the music got better as well.
    I'm about to start shadow of amn. But I'm debating whether to play any of the blackpit.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    If you enjoy the "tactical combats" aspect of the BG games, you should get quite a bit of enjoyment out of the Black Pits side adventure. Essentially, it's party-based arena combat where you level up your party, buy them gear, take them into battle in the arena vs ever increasingly difficult foes, and repeat until you're the Champ. ;) There's quite an interesting backstory behind the entire thing too, so it's not purely hack and slash.
    FenrirWolfganger
    I just finished shadow of amn. I can say the fights in this installment was not as hard as sod. I killed the final boss on my first try.
    Is chapter 8 throne of baal???
    Chapter transitions in BG2EE:

Chapter 1/2 transition: Talk to Gaelan Bayle.
    Chapter 2/3 transition: Pay for travel.
    Chapter 3/4 transition: Get on the boat.
    Chapter 4/5 transition: Enter the Underdark.
    Chapter 5/6 transition: Leave the Underdark.
    Chapter 6/7 transition: Enter Suldanesselar.
    Chapter 7/8 transition: Start ToB.
    Chapter 8/9 transition: Enter Amkethran.
    Chapter 9/10 transition: Enter the actual Throne of Bhaal.

ToB has three chapters, though the last chapter consists only of the final boss sequence. One small area, several escalating fights.
    Grond0FenrirWolfganger
    Now throne of baal is a challange. I think I am against the third boss of the game but the intensity of the fights. Oh boy.
  • nightlessdreamsnightlessdreams Member Posts: 6
    Don't play kitty-cat ! Start over !
    Oh my God. Just finished TOB. The most challanging game of them all. It's been 3-4 days with mellisan ????
    Though with the end of this game. I'm rating the game higher. I really enjoyed baldur gate. I'll see if Ill enjoy the black pits, but I have my doubts as with using the same players for all the games. You build a connection with them.
    I can rest now after mellisan fight
    JuliusBorisovdunbarFenrirWolfgangerOcelot