Changing multiplayer name / user name

How do we change this ?
DesiiAnowor

Comments

• OriginalnwnonlyOriginalnwnonly Member Posts: 28
    Damn thought there may have been a simple answer for this :@
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hello,

right now the only way to change the player name sent to servers is to quit the game and edit nwnplayer.ini. We'll add something more comfortable in the future.
    JuliusBorisovdunahan
    I did look in the ini file but couldnt find anything relevant :(
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    its there just search for the name you are currently defaulting too and remove it
    i tried searching for the name in ini with no results found
    ah i was in wrong ini found it
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Very quick question, have you run the game once via the Beamdog client & successfully joined another online game?
    yes
  • Chris_theVikingChris_theViking Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2017
    where is this "nwnplayer.ini" located? I've been through all the folders from the install and there are no setting files. I found it over in my docs, was looking for it to say EE at the end of the name.

A note for the devs. Asking modern players for a player name will provoke them to make a name for the character, you should change the wording to. "Please select a name for your Multi-Player account"
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

where is this "nwnplayer.ini" located? I've been through all the folders from the install and there are no setting files

it's in ~/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/

@Originalnwnonly Has your problem been fixed?
  • Chris_theVikingChris_theViking Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2017
    yes, when i went looking for a my docs folder i assumed that that was the folder from my original version. I was looking for one with EE or a beamdog folder.
    I had to add "Player Name=XXX" to this file under [Profile].

I tried to create a local lan server to think about how to approach preparing an EE server when it asked me to provide a player name, like back when this game originally came out i typed in what i intended to be my character."Pixie Leaftremble" no, i don't want that to be me!
    This was a problem before. I ended up moving more then a few peoples characters to more appropriate account folders over the years.
  • JhidracJhidrac Member Posts: 1
    None of these ideas worked for me, any other ideas? I had clicked to save the information as well, and using steam. In the old days you were able to save it but it would still pop up each time so you can see what username you were using.
  • SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2019
    Jhidrac, in Documents, Neverwinter Nights folder, look for nwnplayer.ini Under Profile, just enter this line: Player Name=(YourName) and save. (YourName is where you put your player name, just saying. :wink: ) Hope it helps.
    JuliusBorisov
  • neludzneludz Member Posts: 23
    So how do i change this after the updates? Editing nwnplayer.ini no longer seems to work.
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    edited April 2020
    @neludz in the new 8193.9 patch, the player name you had in your nwnplayer.ini was copied into settings.tml and used there now. New players will never have a player name saved to their nwnplayer.ini, and the field is no longer used.

As part of the settings.tml file, you can now access the player name to erase it with the new Debug Menu, using CTRL + SHIFT + F12, opening the config pane, searching for name in the filter box, and resetting your player name.

jpc69qjcpbh3.png
    This way you can change your player name (by typing a new one before joining a game) without leaving the game, from inside the game, since this removes the name from being the "default name" if you had used that checkbox to save the name.

• sirfluffycuddlessirfluffycuddles Member Posts: 3
    hey how do we change our playername on mobile? It has locked me out of arelith
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    hey how do we change our playername on mobile? It has locked me out of arelith

Close the application
    Go to your devices file manager
    Follow this pathway: Android>Data>com.Beamdog.NWNandroid>files>user
    In there is nwnplayer.ini it is easier to just delete this and launch the application again, but if you have the application to edit the file already downloaded edit "Player Name" so that the value after the = sign (The name input) is deleted.
  • ahuttonahutton Member Posts: 5
    Now that /android/data is root only, other than rooting the device and voiding your warranty, how do you change your playername? Right now it seems to be delete and re-install all 6+ gigs.
  • KnightMBKnightMB Member Posts: 8
    AirDroid for Android will give you access to those files, at least it works on my Android 10.0 device and earlier devices.