Skip to content

Edwin didn't aknowledge Dynaheir's death in my playthrough

Hello,

with my evil party, I just killed Dynaheir with Edwin, but he didn't react to her death and the journal wasn't updated.

Is there some variables I can change with EEkeeper to fix this please ?

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Are you playing without the BG1 NPC project? I don't he acknowledges it at all without the mod.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you could try this in the console;

C:SetGlobal("bd_accepted_edwin_quest","GLOBAL",1)

for edwin to acknowledge dynaheir's demise you need the following things for his dialogue to trigger;

not in combat

the death of dynaheir ( script name; dynaheir - if you have mods and they changed her script name, this could also be causing the issue )

Global("bd_accepted_edwin_quest","GLOBAL",1)

when those 3 parameters are set, then he should initiate the appropriate dialogue to finish the quest off
    Trouveur
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Do you have a save showing this? Or even better a save just before killing Dynaheir?
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    Thanks all for your answers !

I indeed have BG1 NPC project installed.

I tried the console with no luck. In EEkeeper I saw that SPRITE_IS_DEADDYNAHEIR was at 1.

I have a save from a little before, so I tried again and it works fine this time.

So, in my most up to date save, I used the console to create another Dynaheir and killed her again, and this time Edwin reacted accordingly and the journal updated itself.

I don't know what happened the first time. So I'm sorry but I don't have a save just before killing her.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Thanks all for your answers !

I indeed have BG1 NPC project installed.

I tried the console with no luck. In EEkeeper I saw that SPRITE_IS_DEADDYNAHEIR was at 1.

I have a save from a little before, so I tried again and it works fine this time.

So, in my most up to date save, I used the console to create another Dynaheir and killed her again, and this time Edwin reacted accordingly and the journal updated itself.

I don't know what happened the first time. So I'm sorry but I don't have a save just before killing her.

it could be because the dynaheir that is in your game has a different script name than what is required for edwin to have his dialogue

so no doubt when you summoned in one, that dynaheir had the prerequisite script name to trigger the dialogue script
    Trouveur
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    Thank you for the insight !
    sarevok57Blackbɨrd
  • JunctionJunction Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2021
    I've experienced this. When you meet Edwin, there are you two ways you can recruit him:

1. Accept his request to kill Dynaheir without hesitation, or
    2. Accept him into your party but say you'll decide what to do with Dyna when you get to her.

Option 1 adds his quest to your journal, but option 2 only adds a note to your journal. I think the end conversation with Edwin checks for the quest in the journal.

I was surprised the BG1NPC mod didn't fix this. Then again, that might be because it's an issue introduced with the Enhanced Edition.
    Isewein wrote: »
    Are you playing without the BG1 NPC project? I don't he acknowledges it at all without the mod.

No, the conversation where he rewards you with a year of his services is part of the original game.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The details there, in the unmodded game ... Edwin's initial conversation sets the global variable "bd_accepted_edwin_quest" if you agree. If you refuse, he leaves - no chance to ever recruit him. If Dynaheir is dead or rescued already, no variable, and you can choose to have him join or leave. There is no option to choose later.
    Then, once you kill Dynaheir, that variable is checked in the resulting dialogues.

That bd prefix on the variable means it's something added by Beamdog; the pre-EE game handled things differently.

Now, my modded install has that "choose later" option, which doesn't set the variable. I'm pretty sure it was added by the BG1 NPC project, and also that it was written before the EEs came out and Beamdog made their own changes to things.

So, then, this is not an issue with the base game. It's a mod issue, a result of not keeping up with changes in the underlying game.