Skip to content

2.6 New content discussion

So all this time waiting for 2.6 and not a single new item, class kit, npc companion or even an easter egg? Seems like such a missed oppurtunity to make us happy.

Comments

• MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    edited January 2021
    No new content is ever coming.

Even the fixes might bring some new bugs alongside them.

If one wants to get anything of note for BG or IWD then the modding fandom is the only hope there. And damn...the community sure as hell delivers. New quests, NPCs, new weapons/spells/classes related mods are coming all the time and its amazing.

Beamdog is done with those games but fans hardly so.

For new official content there is BG3 with Larian in charge of it.
    Antipatiko
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    I really love beamdog for some suff but for things like patching BG1/2 its pretty horrible... takes years between patches and MP STILL at times is so buggy its unplayable / have to load a way previos save to fix it. Hopefully 2.6 addresses some of that but as the guy above said it will prob create new bugs as well.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    If you want to yell at anybody for there not being any "new" content for the IE:EE games, yell at Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. It was their contract stipulation.
    OrlonKronsteenTressetTimbo0o0o0Proont
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    Pokota wrote: »
    If you want to yell at anybody for there not being any "new" content for the IE:EE games, yell at Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast. It was their contract stipulation.

Wasn't Beamdog only forbidden from adding new stuff like quests or NPCs? Stuff that actually alters the game.

I do not see new weapons or kits doing so though. In fact the previous patch added one new class and Beamdog wasn't sued for that (at least as far as I know).

IMO its likely a matter of time and money like Beamdog not having enough free employers to work on BG or IWD anymore. They probably barely manage to find time to deal with bugs so adding new stuff of any sort may be under such circumstances impossible.

They simply focus most of their effort now on new non-Wizards/Hasbro related projects.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Khyron wrote: »
    Up until EE, we were limited to BgTuTu, BwP and similar projects of porting BG1 to BG2, there even was an attempt at Icewind Gate, to get IWD to BG2 engine.

This is backwards. It was an attempt to get BG2 in the IWD2 engine. I had high hopes for that one, I started DnD with 3.0 and prefer it over other editions. Shame it never got out of an alpha build with loads of bugs.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Quickblade The greatest problem with BG2 in the IWD(2) engine was that IWD(2)-engine didn't support joining and kickout of NPCs as far as I recall - which is a bit of a major drawback for a game like BGII and in my impression the main reason mod developpment was stopped.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    So all this time waiting for 2.6 and not a single new item, class kit, npc companion or even an easter egg? Seems like such a missed oppurtunity to make us happy.

To be fair, I don't think it was ever hinted there was new content to be expected. A patch is a patch, it's supposed to fix bugs or other issues, maybe adapt or implement some small feats, new translations...

Everything else would be a nice extra, but it's important to keep expectations in perspective, I think.
    AntipatikoATigersClaw
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Not to mention that when in 2.5 they did update some content by updating the looks of certain NPCs to more closely match the region they're from, they actually got quite a bit of backlash for it.

At this point in time, knowing there won't be any new expansions like SoD, people are just happy to have all the issues fixed up, rather than minor content that can lead to all kinds of bugs.
    ATigersClaw
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    The old support board had many tickets.
    New contents are pointless for a patch, as fandom provide them a lot.