Skip to content

My NPCs never talk to each other?

I know there's not as much banter and other dialogues between party NPCs in the first game when compared to the second, but still, I'm currently at the maze at the end of the game and during the whole campaign I think there was exactly one single time where my NPCs started to talk. Maybe there was a second time that I forgot.

Didn't there use to be a lot more dialogue between NPCs? I'm running the "classic" party of Imoen, Jaheira & Khalid, and Minsc & Dynaheir.

I'm on BG:EE 2.5 from Steam and the only mod I've installed is SCS.

Comments

• KesslannKesslann Member Posts: 8
    In my two playthroughs I noticed the same thing. Moreover, the few dialogues I had contained many unspecific, generic, lines. However, the were some dialogues (=dialogue box with potrait like in BG2) of note in the Enhanced Edition characters' scene - for example Kagain and Dorn spoke to each other, or Barryl would say something about every major plot area.
    I read online that certain couples are chattier than others, like Alora and Edwin. Judging by you team composition, I guess that the unique banter is limited to the specific death quotes (Jahira&Khalid).
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited January 2021
    Taylan wrote: »
    Didn't there use to be a lot more dialogue between NPCs? I'm running the "classic" party of Imoen, Jaheira & Khalid, and Minsc & Dynaheir.
    Is it possible you used a mod such as BG1 NPC Project in your previous run-throughs?
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    jsaving wrote: »
    Taylan wrote: »
    Is it possible you used a mod such as BG1 NPC Project in your previous run-throughs?

Nope, never used any mods until recently, and now it's just SCS and EndlessBG1.

By the way I just had another interaction: the one between Jaheira and Khalid where she says something like "Khalid my dear, it would take a so-and-so to loosen that tongue of yours" and he starts stuttering like hell. :D

And this happened in freaking Durlag's Tower after I've long killed Sarevok. Pretty sure that it used to happen much earlier. I wonder if I somehow never give my NPCs the opportunity because I'm always running around doing stuff? Or is there some trigger? I noticed that this dialogue started when Jaheira was healing Khalid, though it's probably coincidence because she certainly did that many times before LOL.

I want to finally learn how to decompile game files and check for myself what they're supposed to say...
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    The banter between NPCs are randomly triggered by the engine. There are some original banters between NPCs although it's just a few. The random triggering means it's possible that you get several in a few hours and after reload the NPCs don't speak to each other until the game is finished.
    What I cannot say is whether the banter triggering overall frequency is different in the EE than in the original engine, or whether it's just bad luck in your case.
    Arvia