Skip to content

Attempting to sketch all major BG1 joinable NPCs from memory

I am going to try to do sketches of all 25 characters from memory. I will not look at the portraits until I am done. Please let me know how I am doing. Here is the first batch.

Photobucket

Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid
Xzar, Montaron, Garrick
Kagain (whose helmet I totally screwed up), Tiax, Eldoth
MortiannaVedwintheTyrantajwzKilivitzQuartzPermidion_StarkKolonKuAristilliusMornmagorcreator1629GrandeCNecdilzorDJKajuruSyntia13ArchaosRaistlin82lunar

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    These are amazing! You are very talented!
    VedwintheTyrantajwzQuartz
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Haha, these are amazing. You've even managed to capture the essence which makes me want to punch Garrick in the face when I look at him
    KilivitzsandmanCCLFredjoQuartz
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Thank you for your kind comments. :D
    Here is the next group of sketches

Photobucket

Kivan, Branwen, Quayle
    Edwin, Minsc, Dynaheir
    Alora, Xan, Ajantis
    KolonKucreator1629Fredjolunar
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    The only one I couldn't guess was Alora, then again I never had her in my groups.
    Only 7 more to go now~! I should have them done by the end of the week.
    Here's the last of them~

Photobucket

Skie, Coran, Safana
    Viconia, Shar-Teel, Faldorn,
    Yeslick

So how did I do? I'm pretty sure I was inaccurate for about half of these, but I really wanted to see if I could draw them all from memory...
    KolonKucreator1629lunar
    I only recognised Skie, Shar teel, Coran and Yeslick that time.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    They are very good - you capture the facial expressions and nuances very well
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    These are really awesome, I enjoyed this thanks!!

I'll start off by saying Xzar and Monty look absolutely AWESOME. Fantastic work. Edwin is good, especially his face is pretty authentic nice attention to detail. Alora, I like what you did with her. Her portrait is rather blah and I think you improvised on her character a little bit and it turned out great. Coran definitely looks like himself, and he's got that cocky smile about him ... nice. Yeslick has his rather subdued, chill face, again great attention to detail. Shar-Teel is good, I hate her but you did great.

Safana needed bigger boobs. Okay okay I'm joking lolz, I mean her boobs are bigger but I think the important detail you missed is her cheekbones. That's her biggest defining facial asset if you ask me. Viconia was a bit lacking too, but her portrait in BG1 pretty much sucks and it's impossible to go by due to all the weird colors and lighting and stuff, so...
    LadyEibhilinRhett
  • FateAscendsFateAscends Member Posts: 63
    Edwin, Minsc, and Shar-teel are the most accurate of the pictures.
    Mungri
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Minsc kind of looks like a half-witted Jean-Luc Picard.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Very cool, I could tell who all of them were until I got to Viconia. I think that was a slip of my mind though, looking back on it it's pretty obvious who it is, I just forgot the drow.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    These are awesome :D

Now, i think we should poke you to do them again from pictures, not from memory :P

P.S. I think i'm starting to like Jaheira more :p

P.S.2 Montaron looks awesome lol, like a rascal kid from anime :D
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    wow you are pretty talented man, have you ever custom sketched a picture to use as your main characters face? maybe your own face with elven ears or a rich dwarven beard?
    edited November 2012

wow you are pretty talented man, have you ever custom sketched a picture to use as your main characters face? maybe your own face with elven ears or a rich dwarven beard?

Yeah, in fact. Unfortunately, it was from back when I didn't have very good digital painting skills. Not based on my own face, but still.

Photobucket

My joke character, Brunhilda the Horny Dwarven Barmaid.

I had like three other custom portraits, but I can't find them. A lot of my art was on my old computer and kind of got wiped a long while ago, I probably posted most of the BG stuff I lost on the SHS forums, though, so I might be able to find it if I looked through some of the threads.

edited November 2012
    You seem to have a very wierd fetish for horny dwarven barmaids with beards :p
    ARKdeEREH
    Mungri said:

You seem to have a very wierd fetish for horny dwarven barmaids with beards :p

Naw. It's not a fetish. I just said it was a joke character. Why do people seem to assume everything has to be a fetish. Seriously, I make one character who is a horny dwarven barmaid as a freaking joke, and you assume I have a fetish. wth, man?

Quartz
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2012

Seriously, I make one character who is a horny dwarven barmaid as a freaking joke, and you assume I have a fetish. wth, man?

Some people have a fetish for fetishes.
    QuartzARKdeEREH
    It was a joke about your joke character hence the :p
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    This thread has a sense of ... fetish about it.

(sry sry I'm totally joking lol)
    Clearly you all just have a serious fetish fetish.
    . -c .
    Quartz
    I have a fetish for your drawing of Xzar! (well no, but the large drawn on theatrical mouth looks great).
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Wow awesome stuff :)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    @Quartz Helm yeah! :p
    Quartz
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    Nice drawins! Especially Xan, that would have been even better as a portrait for him. so gloomy <3.

Tip: Practice making shoulders abit broader/increasing their bulk. Minsc is no puny paladin-ranger-bersker ;o