Skip to content

How to edit save files to register romance as completed?

Alright, long story short, tried to romance Jaheira, game bugged out and failed to load events, I know that I've done all the required things, and the console doesn't seem to be helping or I'm just an idiot. In any case, I'm at Chapter 7 now, and I figure it'd just be easier to beat Irenicus, see what the romance dialogue looks like on YouTube, edit my save so I can continue the romance content as intended in the expansion.

So, in summary, how do I edit my BG2:EE save to mark me as having romanced Jaheria before I start Throne of Bhaal?

Cheers, really enjoyed the game so far

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The key variable that lets the ToB romance bits work: the global variable JaheiraRomanceActive should be 2.

This is a very standard convention; it's the same _____RomanceActive variable for all of the Bioware and Beamdog companions. A value of zero is "not started", 1 is started but not committed, 2 is committed, 3 is broken.
  • DruimNanDeurDruimNanDeur Member Posts: 9
    jmerry wrote: »
    The key variable that lets the ToB romance bits work: the global variable JaheiraRomanceActive should be 2.

This is a very standard convention; it's the same _____RomanceActive variable for all of the Bioware and Beamdog companions. A value of zero is "not started", 1 is started but not committed, 2 is committed, 3 is broken.

Alright, so just set that to 2 before I begin the expansion, and I'm golden?

Do I just open up the save file in Notepad and edit it there, then?
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    jmerry wrote: »

Alright, so just set that to 2 before I begin the expansion, and I'm golden?

Do I just open up the save file in Notepad and edit it there, then?

Either set it using Console in-game, or adjust the Global Variable in your saved game using EEKeeper
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    While it would theoretically be possible to edit a save in a text editor, that would be a very bad idea. The saves are not in a format that's easily human-readable, so you would have a hard time finding where the variable in question was stored. You need a tool that's capable of reading save files such as EEKeeper or Near Infinity.

In EEKeeper, open the save and go to the "Global Variables" tab. Select the variable in question, click edit, and there you are.