Skip to content

Archer Stats Total 96 Help-me

I managed to roll the stats to get a total of 96. but I'm in doubt if I put in the right attributes, check it out: Strength: 18/91
Dexterity: 19
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 15
total play 96
did I make a good choice? or what do you recommend me for longbow archer?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I would personally decrease intelligence and increase charisma to 18, but other than that it looks good.
    AlucaBROrlonKronsteen
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Also, Archers get full warrior benefits from constitution. Increasing Con to 17 gets you more hit points, which is clearly worth more than any marginal charisma or intelligence.

On the mental stats ...
    Wisdom must be at least 14 (ranger minimum) and you gain no significant bonuses for going higher. So yes, 14.
    Intelligence must be at least 8 (elf minimum). 9 Int allows you to use priest scrolls (not too common, but there are a few), protection scrolls, and wands of Sleep and Magic Missiles. Anything more than that is really only useful as a "HP" buffer against illithids in BG2; they drain Int in multiples of 5, so 11 Int means you can survive two hits and 16 Int means you can survive three. 15-16 (will you give this character the Int tome?), 10-11, 9, or 8.
    Charisma must be at least 8 (elf minimum). More than that generally matters only if you're going to be the party face - the character that is first in your party order and does the talking. And ... well, Imoen has 16 Cha. In BG2, Jaheira has 15 Cha and you can get a ring that sets Cha to 18 before chapter 2 even starts. Either go for 17-18 and be the party face, or dump it and be the strong silent type.

So, my build for a 96-point elf Archer:
    Strength 18/xx
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 10 or 18
    Wis 14
    Cha 18 or 10

Extra high Int gives you lore bonuses; not a big deal, but it's convenient for identifying lesser magical items and ammo without having to pass them to the party rogue or mage.
    Grond0Adam_en_tiumDinoDin
  • AlucaBRAlucaBR Member Posts: 2
    jmerry wrote: »
    Also, Archers get full warrior benefits from constitution. Increasing Con to 17 gets you more hit points, which is clearly worth more than any marginal charisma or intelligence.

On the mental stats ...
    Wisdom must be at least 14 (ranger minimum) and you gain no significant bonuses for going higher. So yes, 14.
    Intelligence must be at least 8 (elf minimum). 9 Int allows you to use priest scrolls (not too common, but there are a few), protection scrolls, and wands of Sleep and Magic Missiles. Anything more than that is really only useful as a "HP" buffer against illithids in BG2; they drain Int in multiples of 5, so 11 Int means you can survive two hits and 16 Int means you can survive three. 15-16 (will you give this character the Int tome?), 10-11, 9, or 8.
    Charisma must be at least 8 (elf minimum). More than that generally matters only if you're going to be the party face - the character that is first in your party order and does the talking. And ... well, Imoen has 16 Cha. In BG2, Jaheira has 15 Cha and you can get a ring that sets Cha to 18 before chapter 2 even starts. Either go for 17-18 and be the party face, or dump it and be the strong silent type.

So, my build for a 96-point elf Archer:
    Strength 18/xx
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 10 or 18
    Wis 14
    Cha 18 or 10

Extra high Int gives you lore bonuses; not a big deal, but it's convenient for identifying lesser magical items and ammo without having to pass them to the party rogue or mage.

I thought this was the baldurs gate 1 forum because I'm playing 1 and not 2, but I'll leave at least 9 of intelligence then.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    AlucaBR wrote: »
    I thought this was the baldurs gate 1 forum because I'm playing 1 and not 2, but I'll leave at least 9 of intelligence then.

It is. But then, it's a very common play pattern to take a character that beats BG1 and import them to BG2 to continue their adventure in the new campaign. If you're not going to do that, then maxing out charisma is definitely the best thing you can do with those extra stat points.
    AlucaBRDinoDin
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You do not remotely need 96 points on an archer, but if you have that many points then you might as well plan for BG2 just in case you end up taking the character through the entire saga.
    AlucaBR
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'd argue for INT 9 either way - an Archer shouldn't be in range of an Illithid's INT-drain attacks in the first place.
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    If you are not playing the entire trilogy, everything is quite irrelevant, cos in BG1, an Archer is an Archer - Ranged Attacks rule in BG1 and SOD.

What is more important is - which ranged weapon are you playing with?
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    jmerry wrote: »
    AlucaBR wrote: »

It is. But then, it's a very common play pattern to take a character that beats BG1 and import them to BG2 to continue their adventure in the new campaign. If you're not going to do that, then maxing out charisma is definitely the best thing you can do with those extra stat points.

Just gonna second what jmerry says here. You don't get bonus spells from Wisdom. I would max Charisma. 18 right at the start of BG1 gets you a few extras from some lesser NPC's. But more importantly, getting a +1 from a book gets you a large jump (3 points as opposed to 1 point for every other score difference) in reaction scores. And that book can be found early in the saga. This can both help with evil playthroughs, by mitigating low reputation, or by skyrocketing reaction in good playthroughs.

Even if you use a separate face character, there are times in the saga where your main character has to do the talking. Tho I can't say for sure how often it checks reaction scores in those times. But as such, whenever you have a nice stat roll like yours, I almost always feel it's beneficial to boost Cha.