Skip to content

Toolset for Mac version?

I've tried searching, but without much success. Will the toolset be made available for the Mac version of NWN:EE?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    No.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's unlikely.
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    edited February 2021
    Depending on which version of the OS you are on there may be solutions. I use an old iMac ( late 2013) and the toolset works perfectly using WINE, while the game itself runs fine on the Mac . However, your options are severely limited if you have upgraded from Mojave to Catalina or Big Sur. I believe Parallells/Crossover and maybe others are working on solutions. A pity as there aren't a huge number of games for the Mac and nothing for anyone wanting to build ( short of the rocket scientist degree needed for Unity/Unreal).
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    Considering Mac has pretty much never put a graphical processing unit in their product that can handle any modern game, at the time of release of the Mac, it makes it a less tempting endeavor to try and make a game that will run on one.
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Fair point although the latest ones with the Apple chip seem to be faring better in this regard. I'm waiting for the new iMac which should have the next iteration of their chip. Mind you, I'm not one to splash out the prices for the top games anyway. Played WOW for years and it ran fine. The Witcher 1 and 2 were great on my 2013 iMac (using WINE) and NWN runs perfectly so I'm happy enough with that. There are a lot of decent games I missed at the time of their release and they're pretty much giving most of them away in sales these days.
    Yeah I've heard good things about their new M1 chip, but I didn't pay attention to if it has to be paired with a GPU or not.
  • alesplinalesplin Member Posts: 4
    ForSerious wrote: »
    Considering Mac has pretty much never put a graphical processing unit in their product that can handle any modern game, at the time of release of the Mac, it makes it a less tempting endeavor to try and make a game that will run on one.

My MacBook Pro has a graphics card that is more than capable of any game that works on MacOS. It's a shame more titles aren't released cross-platform.
    What I was trying to say is: One of the reasons games probably aren't available on Macs, is because the limited hardware would make them less than enjoyable. Also known as: rendering less than 60 frames per second on low game settings. Some few companies, like Blizzard (before they got bought-out by Activision), opted to make their games run on low-end hardware—in order to expand the amount of possible sales. That is why the graphics of WoW were not considered state of the art when it came out, but it could run on most anything.
  • alesplinalesplin Member Posts: 4
    That's a fair comment, I suppose. I'd imagine the number of people who would play a game on a Mac is significantly bigger than the number of people who spend >$2k to get a Mac with proper graphics card.

I do wish more companies would make games with good story and gameplay that weren't dependent on razor-cutting-edge graphics cards, just in general. But hey. I'm just glad NWN:EE, Baldur's Gate:EE, and Icewind Dale:EE are available. :)