Skip to content

Shorty Playthrough and EE-Keeper

Howdy, folks! I've been considering doing a Short races only playthrough for a bit. One of the things that frustrated me is that some of the characters I like would be excluded (ironic since part of the goal is to mess around with different NPCs). But that got me thinking about what characters might be better off short. So I'm considering EEKeeping a few (lore-friendly) options into shorties.

The fact that I enjoy Neera's character as much as I do is what prompted this, I'm considering Gnoming her, as we see that chaos mages can be from all races at a later point in the series. Her personality is also a good fit. A few dialogue hiccups, but you can't do much about that (depending on how much I enjoy this I might consider doing something about it with modding or something, I've been thinking about getting into that, but haven't because I haven't had a project that wasn't too intimidating). So my question is "Should I leave Neera as she is class-wise, or potentially multiclass her?" Chaos Mage is a story requirement absolutely for her, but some other stuff could be there.

Also are there any other great candidates for shrinking, Shar-Teel is pretty Dwarfy and even is interested in their pantheon, although for later that would require changing her father as well. For any future work. Jaheira might work as a halfling or something, not sure, that one could be fun, because then could retweak her romance in BG 2, and Khalid as a frightened Halfling seems somehow less irritating than he is as a frightened Dwarf. Obviously Minsc, Dynaheir and Edwin are going to be human because of lore reasons, so I wouldn't consider changing them. Rasaad has to be tall (although he'll guest star in the party for a few nights until I pick up the Big Fist Belt).

Current party plan is Myself (Dwarf Barbarian, I'm planning on using Yeslick in BG 2 or Nephele for Clerical stuff in BG 2), Neera (Gnomified), Recorder (Mod NPC), Montarion (Maybe?), Alora (For Ranged, shame she doesn't start with slings, I'll probably fix that while I'm fixing things), Yeslick (Might use Quayle at the start and swap him out later or keep him) or Kagain (In which case I'll use Quayle the whole time. I'm enjoying Monty a lot, but with BG 1 NPC he randomly kills a lot of people which is a little untenable, I was considering giving him the hat of not being mean, but that doesn't really change much.

Anyways, any thoughts on this? Should I Mage/Thief Neera? Any other NPCs that would be better smaller? I'm having a lot of fun with the concept and I'm really considering a mod to give the shorties the love they lacked.
Aerakar

Comments

• DavePetersDavePeters Member Posts: 9
    Oh! And what should I do in SoD? I can probably manage with Recorder (who has SoD) content, Gnome-Neera, Glint and Myself. But I might want to consider something else there.
    orhra9fhcgiy.pngs4882no2ql5x.png

Gnomified Neera!

Aerakar
    Probably going to have to restart the run and rethink composition a little bit. Party is too squishy currently. Looking at other Mod NPCs or Shorty conversions.
    I'm happy with Gnome Neera though, I think Halfling Neera might be slightly more optimal, but Gnome Neera is just so much fun.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    I love shorties too but I never considered transform NPC...
    I often play « imoen and the shorties » cause I like Imoen too much for give up on her ..
    Charname is often a F/Illu gnome or a F/illu/C Ekeepered. In bg1 I play with Imoen, Alora everytime and mix with qyale, yeslick or kagain... there is a lot of shorties .. I like Aura too. In bg2 it’s more obvious, I take all the shorties, mazzy, Jan, Korgan and sometimes HaerD (not really a shorty thought) and then Imoen ...
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    I've played through BG multiple times as you suggest with a dwarven thief Charname.

Kagain is the best tank and warrior in the game, Alora the best thief, Montaron a decent backstabber and wicked with a sling, and you have Quayle or Tiax or both for spell support/wands. And of course probably the most useful party member in BG/SoD is Glint the cleric/thief!

You don't really need anyone else in BG, although in SoD the shorty cast is much smaller. I would also consider the goblin an honorary shorty.