Skip to content

BG Movie upscaling and FPS increase

SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
I've seen a few people upscaling some of the area maps for Baldur's Gate, but not seen anyone do the original movies yet.

I don't really know what I'm doing, but I decided to give it a go. More a proof of concept than anything.

I think there's a lot of promise! If no one more better suited decides to take on the task, at some point I think I'll give it a go!

Movie extracted from original BG game.
640‬x272 -> 1920x1080
15fps - 29.9fps
PeccaAciferAaemforeverRik_Kirtaniyaramitl1942

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    That looks really good given the limitations of the source video. Unfortunately, the source videos were pretty potato quality, even at the time, so I'm not sure how much will be gained from the much greater storage requirements. Still, it's a solid effort that is definitely worth pursuing.

As an aside, it is a shame that this hall was entirely forgotten in BG2, and especially ToB. It would have been interesting to see another take of this hall after the fall of Saradush, for instance.
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 151
    Great job - this looks absolutely amazing! How did you do that?
    And is there any chance that we will see the Cloakwood wyvern-movie in the future?
    tl1942
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    There's a fair bit of compression artifacting when Sarevok's body dissolves, but to my memory this is also the most visually noisy of the classic movies (and I have the sneaking suspicion that that artifacting was there originally), so whatever process you're feeding this movie through is a good one. Other scenes like the Wyvern or Nashkel ones should render very nicely.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Sirick
    Should that movie be silent? Otherwise, I likey! Thankee!
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2020
    Right now I'm busy on a Fallout 4 mod project, but once I'm done I have plans to work on a SoD overhaul and also this little movie thing. But if someone else (with more expertise) wanted to do the movie thing, that would be cool with me.
    Acifer wrote: »
    How did you do that? And is there any chance that we will see the Cloakwood wyvern-movie in the future?

I used two programs, Topaz Video Enhance Ai and Dain-App.
    If no one else makes an attempt at improving the movies, I plan to do all of them at some point.
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Sirick
    Should that movie be silent? Otherwise, I likey! Thankee!

One of the programs I used stripped the audio, so I'd need to go back and add it. Since this was just a test, I didn't bother.

JuliusBorisovAcifer
    That Irenicus movie looks like it was made later. Sure, it's early 2000s CGI, but it's better than base!

Thankee and alleluia!
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    Any updates? Your efforts are impressive! Would love to see these in game.
    tl1942
    @Strick
    I too wish to hear more of your progress on this mod! Thankee!
    tl1942
    Howdy! So far I've mostly been tinkering around now and again, but nothing serious just yet.
    I'm currently a lead dev on the Fallout 4 Sim Settlements 2 mod, so that takes up most my time.

But once I'm free I'll go back to this little movie project (assuming no one else has given it a go by then).

My plans so far are to upscale everything to 1920x1080 and 29.9fps. And then do any post image clean up using Photoshop to try and clear up any blur or artifacting that was present in the old movies.
    tl1942
    @Sirick
    Thankee! I eagerly await this movie upscaling for BG!
    Sirick
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Just wanted to chime in; one more person here looking forward to the first release! The results so far are extremely impressive!!
    Timbo0o0o0
    @Sirick
    How fares updating these upscaled movies?

Thankee!
    Howdy hey! I've been a busy bee, and will be for the next 2 or so months. But since people have show interest I'm going to go see about releasing the upscaled cutscenes for BG1 soon.

That is, unless someone else on the forums feels they are better suited to the task!

(Also, this new forum layout upsets me.)
    @Sirick
    Does this mean you plan to share a prerelease build with the public for them to try/fix/comment on?
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    They look fantastic!
    Maurvir wrote: »
    As an aside, it is a shame that this hall was entirely forgotten in BG2, and especially ToB. It would have been interesting to see another take of this hall after the fall of Saradush, for instance.

Agreed!

Sirick wrote: »

(Also, this new forum layout upsets me.)

I miss the reaction buttons.
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Sirick
    Does this mean you plan to share a prerelease build with the public for them to try/fix/comment on?

I will do yes.

Right now I have all the films upscaled and with FPS increased for all BG1 movies. Slowing going through and hand fixing any graphical glitches caused by the process. Then I'll have to figure out a way to convert the files to .mve

Speaking of, if anyone knows of a good convertor tool for .mve, I'd appreciate it if you could toss a name or link my way!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited August 2022
    Speaking of, if anyone knows of a good convertor tool for .mve, I'd appreciate it if you could toss a name or link my way!

No need for that. Movies in the Enhanced Editions are WebM files with a VP8 video stream and Ogg Vorbis audio stream.
    argent77 wrote: »

No need for that. Movies in the Enhanced Editions are WebM files with a VP8 video stream and Ogg Vorbis audio stream.

Just tested and that works a charm, thank you!
    Took a small break from work and played about a bit, got what might my first finished movie. I may still tinker with it, using masking to spice different versions together to try and hide some of the fuzziness you can see on the moon.

Take a look!