Skip to content

What are the best weapons available chapter 3 and earlier?

KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
I am having a brain fart and can’t think of anything besides Carsomyr, Celestial Fury, Belm, Usuno’s Blade, Staff of the Magi, Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven.

Comments

• masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Dagger- Pixie Prick, Stiletto of Demarchess, Dagger of the Star +4 (Watcher's Keep). Firetooth (WK) or Boomerang for throwing daggers.

Hammers- None, really. But if you need to, Dwarven Thrower for a throwing hammer, and the Kneecapper (the +1/4 vs giant humanoids found in the De'Arnise Keep) works against all Golems.

Clubs- Blackblood, Gnasher, Club of Detonation (WK)

Axes- Azuredge, Axe of the Unyielding +3 (WK), Frostreaver's not bad

Bastard Swords- Foebane +3 and Purifier +4 (WK for both)

Flails- You already named them- DoE and FoA

Halberds- Dragon's Bane if you're fighting dragons

Katanas- you covered it

Long Swords- Angurvadal +4 (WK), Dragonslayer vs dragons, Daystar vs undead,

Maces- Mace of Disruption +2, Storm Star (WK) isn't bad, Mauler's Arm particularly for a low str character like Viconia

Morningstar- none, really

Ninja Tos- You already mentioned Usuno's Blade, but if you have a PC who can use it, Scarlet Ninja To

Quarterstaffs- Holy cow. Staff Mace on some characters, Staff of Rhynn, Staff of Striking for backstabs, Staff of the Ram (WK), Staff of Arundel to start the day if you're a Druid

Scimintar- Spectral Brand (WK), Belm for off hand

Short Swords- Kundane for off hand, Halfling fighters and thieves can use Mazzy's Sword of Arvoreen for some really nice immunities when appropriate

Spears- uh, I guess Ixil's Nail +4 (WK) but it's mostly a generic +4 spear

2h Swords- Carsomyr as noted, Unholy Reaver (WK), Lilarcor for the immunities

Wakizashis- none really, though Kachiko's could be interesting if you have someone penalizing saves

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    This is still a useful source for info, even though it predates EE:
    https://sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/items/bastard-swords.php
    Two addenda-

1) Scarlet Ninja-To is phenomenal for a monk, obviously, in the off hand. But worth noting that it's strictly superior to Belm and Kundane for anyone with UAI. Not likely in chapter 3 but maybe as a solo?

2) Total corner case, but as with Staff of Arundel for Druids, Dak'kon's Zerth Blade is a good item to rest with and then cast from and then switching away.
  • appoappo Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2021
    Lets not forgett about ranged weapons?

Crossbow (THE BEST): Firetooth+4 (WK): But in the shop. You can basically get this, directly after leaving Irenicus' dungeon in chapter 2. Of course you need the money (8k-12k I guess).

Strongarm +2: Get at Ribalds. It is +2 enchanted but gets a +3 damage boost on the missles. Back in times when my Archers used bows I always got this one ASAP.

StummvonBordwehr
    Yipes! Don't know how I forgot bows/crossbows. For crossbow- yes, Fire Tooth from the WK shop, or if you're someone who swears off WK in SoA (which is why I've been noting that), Light Crossbow of Speed. Bows- Tuigan Bow is available very early.

Darts- Crimson Dart (WK) but don't forget about Cloak of the Stars, sadly the exploit to make it permanent is no longer available.

Slings- Arla's Dragonbane if you're not buying anything/going to WK, Sling of Everard, Erinne Sling +4 (Watcher's Keep) (note that Sunstone Bullets have a specific function beyond just using them and most people don't know that- they circumvent a somewhat significant combat)
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 81
    Stonefire is a pretty useful Axe to get early in the game. +3 enchantment, and an extra +2 fire damage is nothing to sneeze at.
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • MrBaquanMrBaquan Member Posts: 42
    (note that Sunstone Bullets have a specific function beyond just using them and most people don't know that- they circumvent a somewhat significant combat)
    What's that?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Sunstone bullets slay the Shadow Altar in the Shade Lord battle. One hit, dead.

So, not really a big deal.
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited April 2021

Daystar is probably the single best weapon you can get as early as Chapt. 2 IMO (and without even leaving Athkatla). Among other things, it's capable of hitting anything that can be hit by +4 weapons.

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Actually, no. Daystar can't hit Iron Golems (in the EE). Only evil enemies are subject to the +4 enchantment in deciding what can be hit. That is, admittedly, most of them.

The Burning Earth has a similar thing going on; it can hit a demilich, but not a stone golem. The only variable-enchantment weapons that can hit above their base value on everything are the two versions of the Mace of Disruption, and it says they can in the descriptions.
    StummvonBordwehr