Skip to content

Class suggestions (no. 12123093)

wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
Hello,

I just completed BG1EE with my Inquisitor and will continue my journey to BG2EE.

I started TOB just out of curiosity though and noticed that some of the special abilities I got in BG1EE (Cure Light Wounds, Slow Poison, Holy Might) are gone. That's a real bummer, because they really complemented my paladin. And having no priest spells and no other abilities than the 4 the Inquisitor has, I am thinking of playing another class now.
The lack of skills for fighters is not such a big deal in BG1 because even casters only have a few spells on low levels. But later on having a level 15 character with 4 abilities kind of sucks.

I am tending towards a fighter/mage now. In BG1 I dual classed Imoen to a thief/mage and she was my favorite character because of her versatility. I would rather have a thief/mage as main, but I definitely want Imoen in my group and two of the same is weird.

I also was thinking of a archer (ranged fighter)/mage or something. Are there some other (not too fancy) classes/combinations that are versatile and do not have an equivalent companion? I think there is an Inquisitor you can recruit later in the game so that would be another reason to maybe try out something else this time.

Thanks for your help

PS: Do you think a fighter/mage with high dexterity trained in using long bows is viable? In BG1EE ranged attacks were really powerful. With my party of 5 I just always sent my tank forward while the all the other party members used ranged weapons and an occasional spell to disable annoying enemies or defenses. I read that ranged attacks are weaker in BG2EE and wonder whether they are still viable.

PPS: Or maybe I will just use EEKeeper to change my class from Inquisitor to Cavalier in order to gain access to priest spells. I know that they are not too powerful but they add something to my class otherwise I feel is missing.
Post edited by wavingbug on

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited April 2021
    The strongest builds that aren't represented among the game's NPCs are FM and FMT. Other lesser combinations that are still plenty strong include ranger/cleric, fighter/thief (which is not entirely fair to include here since FT was an NPC option in BG1), and sorcerer.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Are you doing a solo run? If not then Inquisitor is a bad choice in that you have one that can join you on your quest anyway. I won't spoil it if you don't know who I'm talking about. You'll meet him eventually. If you like paladins I would suggest a Crusader. Give him axe and bastard sword proficiency and you won't regret it. Crusaders can't pick proficiency in ranged weapons but can still throw axes and daggers. They also start with a boatload of resistances and do extra damage to some of the toughest enemies (especially in BG2 and ToB).
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Are you doing a solo run? If not then Inquisitor is a bad choice in that you have one that can join you on your quest anyway. I won't spoil it if you don't know who I'm talking about. You'll meet him eventually. If you like paladins I would suggest a Crusader. Give him axe and bastard sword proficiency and you won't regret it. Crusaders can't pick proficiency in ranged weapons but can still throw axes and daggers. They also start with a boatload of resistances and do extra damage to some of the toughest enemies (especially in BG2 and ToB).

For those who weren't around when the old demons were roaming Middle Earth: I think Crusader is maybe what they called Cavaliers when the Balrog was young :p
    Aerakar
  • wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2021
    Thanks, I figured that Crusader = Cavalier. I just changed the kit from Inquisitor to Crusader. I hope I got everything right with EEKeeper. It seems it does just change the kit but but you have to assign innate abilities for your kit manually afterwards too. Perhaps it is better to just recreate a Cavalier from scratch and assign XP and attributes like I had them afterwards.

Hiring the other Inquisitor for my party is not even a big problem on second thought, because I would probably only do his quest (if he has one) and dismiss him right afterwards anyway. What just bugged me about the Inquisitor, as I've seen it when I picked one in TOB, was the lack of abilities. The Cavalier at least has a few useful priest spells and his innate abilities. Plus Turn Undead, but I rarely used that though. I always thought that it made more sense to be agressive instead of standing around and waiting for something to happen (I guess Turn Undead is only useful for idle priests that aren't suited melee combat).
    The Inquisitor basically has 4 abilities and thats it. I did not mind for 8 levels but for 12 more I think it just would get boring.
    Post edited by wavingbug on
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    The Inquisitor has all those limitations because the few abilities he has are extremely powerful. His True Sight and Dispel Magic act at twice their actual level and have practically no casting time, meaning he's really strong against mages, and is immune to Charm and Hold. I personally prefer the other paladin kits, but only because I take the NPC Inquisitor with me anyway.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Losing your Bhaalspawn abilities is part of the plot of the SoA campaign; it happens at the midpoint.

If you want to give more options to a warrior, that's what items are for. There are a couple of paladin-specific items with healing abilities in ToB, for example.

On a bow-using fighter/mage? Sure. Just remember that the three best bows in BG2 are all shortbows. Longbows aren't very good in that game.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    edited April 2021
    You can reset your character by setting class level to 0, remove innate and thief skills/abilities/weapon pips and set HP to 1 and set the kit/class you want.

Its a 60 second job.. this way you keep your experience and variables/globals/imports.

By setting it to 0, you get everything from 1st lvl onwards - if you do this with fighter/archer however, you will be allowed to set illegal weapon mastery with 1st lvl weapon pips, but this is just a minor silly thing and doesn't really matter.
    (Because when you lvl up with tons of xp, you jump straight to the top lvl your xp gives and that means you can put 4/5 pips in a weapon immediately, where as 2 are max for 1st lvl fighter/archer
    Gusinda